Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Focus diesel owners...

Please excuse my short thread as I'm using the phone. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the oil to get pitch black? Better still, I would perhaps appreciate a pic of your oil on a paper towel and km since change.
Yep... I suspect I have just done a service and have paid for my book to be stamped and some washer fluid. Picks to come soon.

Thanks.

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Focus diesel owners...

Does this look like 800km old oil??

Old 28-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
crowv85l

ive never had a diesel but i have never seen oil that black! wouldn't be the first time a dealer didn't do it. I know a guy who was the service manager for a major car group in sutherland and he said it does happen. Its not that the dealership is tight its that the apprentice mechanics are bloody lazy and would rather fart *** around
crowv85l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just checked my TDCI changed by service agent 2000kms away -same colour- its okay.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just checked the invoice - shows 5.5litres of 5W-40 in plus a R2663P filter.

Be interesting to see what other people comment.
Old 28-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My diesel always has dirty oil a few thousand Klms after the change. They collect soot and carbon which is why you need to change it regularly or it may clog the turbo oil feeds or turn into a goo at the bottom of the sump
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So Marg99 do you consider oil that colour 2000km or 800km after an oil change being a problem.???

I know a lot of posters reckon oil should be changed at 7000 km intervals, but Ford say 15000km and the 1.8TDCI in the NZ focus wagons is set at 20000km.
I drive for Linfox and the Fuso diesel I drive has its oil changed at 20000km intervals and runs okay (for a japper!).Its done 203000 in 2 years 8 months 90 per cent metro stop start work.
Old 28-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
el_wagon

I think its normal for diesel oil to go black within a few hundred k's, Maybe next time check it before you even leave the workshop.
el_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep think you are right.
Some of the other truck drivers I work with say the coy workshop doesnt change the oil but I know they do - they look at the oil colour.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Yes, mine is always black.

Black anything is normal for diesel

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would imagine small diesels are similar to the big ones, the big ones run a high detergent oil and go black quick as well.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
Citwit

The oil in mine looks like that as soon as I get it home from a service. I also had doubts about it being changed. There was evidence of the filter being changed so I preseumed if they changed the filter they would have done the oil as well.
Interestingly after last service 2 of the 4 rubbers in the engine cover had come out. Only 2 were holding it on. I would have thought somone would have noticed that. For the 2 missing ones, one was still on top of the engine, the other was still wedged between the sump and the undertray. As the undertray has to be removed to undo the sump plug the only way the oil could have been changed was through the dip stick tube. My understanding of doing it that way is that it is impossible to get all the old oil out which would also contribute to the new oil not being clean. No doubt I would have been charged for the full amount of oil.
Needless to say I will be asking some questions prior to the next service being done.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

My former diesel Golf ('08 model) always had black oil, even within a few kilometres of having the oil changed. I'm pretty sure you'll find it's a standard characteristic of owning a diesel I'm really surprised with my new Zetec, I have nearly 6,000 k's up now and the colour of the oil is like it has never been used ( golden brown and pure like honey )
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
Marlboro2728

I had the same doubts after my last service. The mechanic at work said it is normal for the oil to look black in a diesel. Russ, my last car which ran on LPG had its oil changed every six months (approx 15,000kms) and the oil always looked brand new.
Marlboro2728 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok... now I'm feeling a little better.

I'm used to a petrol car, where even after several thousand kays the oil still looks reasonably clean. Never, even at my 10,000km services has the oil come out that black (in the Festiva).

Citwit, are you suggesting the old oil is sucked out of the sump via the dipstick tube?? I will need to ask a few more questions next service for sure. I generally put a flush in and would prefer it to be gravity drained out.

Also, my dealer has a customer loyalty points system, where you can use points for a 7,500km oil change. Will start to do that seeing as this car will be owned long term and the other things I can use the points for I can do myself for nix (wash / balance + rotation / puncture repairs etc).

Thanks for replies.
Old 29-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that's normal for a diesel.

Wife's Turbo Diesel cruze has the silly soot exhaust filter (DPF), dumps half a tank of diesel into the exhaust every few ,000 klms to clean.

The new Mainlube 175 Race Oil SAE 0w40 was designed with the new Focus in mind (sales are booming with this new oil) this oil is also spec'ed for the new Diesel Particulate Filters in mind. (they're calling for a specific oil for this job)
(DPF & TWC) Three Way Catalysts.

The only way to keep diesel oil clean is to run a bypass filter (like Puradyn) cleaning down to around 1 micron

Cheers

Steve
Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 (diff)

www.Mainlube.com.au
Mainlube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
jayjays
Starter Motor

I've often wondered about mine as well, never thought of asking on here. I change my oil in between services ie 7500 and it's black after the engine idling for a minute or 2.
jayjays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainlube
Yes that's normal for a diesel.

Wife's Turbo Diesel cruze has the silly soot exhaust filter (DPF), dumps half a tank of diesel into the exhaust every few ,000 klms to clean.

The new Mainlube 175 Race Oil SAE 0w40 was designed with the new Focus in mind (sales are booming with this new oil) this oil is also spec'ed for the new Diesel Particulate Filters in mind. (they're calling for a specific oil for this job)
(DPF & TWC) Three Way Catalysts.

The only way to keep diesel oil clean is to run a bypass filter (like Puradyn) cleaning down to around 1 micron

Cheers

Steve
How much would the new oil be for a 5L container?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
How much would the new oil be for a 5L container?

The Mainlube 175 super plus racing oil SAE 0w40 is $29.50 +gst per litre.

Available in 5, 10, 20L or 6 Litres in a 10 Litre tin. (what ever you like as we fill fresh with every order) API-SN

Cheers

Steve
Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 (diff)

www.Mainlube.com.au
Mainlube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post