Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

If ya want in and you have no skills give The WorkPac Group
46c Callide Street, BILOELA, QLD 4715
Tel: (07) 4980-4655 | Fax: (07) 4992-5824
Email: Reanna.Wilson@Workpac.com | Web: www.workpac.com

A call and be honest about what you can can't or havn't done ...

I have already posted enough links to get someone half started ?

I have an interview tomorrow for a site and they are looking at me as a fresh starter as i have been out of the field for 15yrs.. Here's hoping .. And after my generic induction is finished i will ask the BIG questions as to how unskilled operators can get a start in the rumoured 100 000 strong workforce we will be needing in Qld in the next 3 years...

Daz...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
If ya want in and you have no skills give The WorkPac Group
46c Callide Street, BILOELA, QLD 4715
Tel: (07) 4980-4655 | Fax: (07) 4992-5824
Email: Reanna.Wilson@Workpac.com | Web: www.workpac.com

A call and be honest about what you can can't or havn't done ...

I have already posted enough links to get someone half started ?

I have an interview tomorrow for a site and they are looking at me as a fresh starter as i have been out of the field for 15yrs.. Here's hoping .. And after my generic induction is finished i will ask the BIG questions as to how unskilled operators can get a start in the rumoured 100 000 strong workforce we will be needing in Qld in the next 3 years...

Daz...
I sent her a copy of my resume with a letter, lets see where we go from here
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol.. i couldnt beleive the prices at the sodexo bar.. great to grab a few beers for the bus home lol.

Rang up to organise underground generics... going to cost me $620 all up.. my 5 month old surface generics is out of date already.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Yep $695 for a 3 day course and $120 for the actual ticket once the workbook is signed off, valid for 2 years...

$200 just to renew it i believe?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of mine was telling me that engineers from Rio Tinto were at Geelong the other day and were given a tour of the stamping operations, and in particular, the agv (automated guided vehicles ). Seems they want to introduce the technology on their dump trucks. So bye, bye to thousands of jobs........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
A mate of mine was telling me that engineers from Rio Tinto were at Geelong the other day and were given a tour of the stamping operations, and in particular, the agv (automated guided vehicles ). Seems they want to introduce the technology on their dump trucks. So bye, bye to thousands of jobs........
Nope ... wont happen here.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldnt happen for years if it were to happen. Theres alot of money in the trucks they already own. And seeing the size of some of the mines, would be a massive undertaking to setup the equipment to make sure the trucks run in the correct paths.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
Wouldnt happen for years if it were to happen. Theres alot of money in the trucks they already own. And seeing the size of some of the mines, would be a massive undertaking to setup the equipment to make sure the trucks run in the correct paths.
They were quoting a radius of 500km. Geelong's agv run off a reflector system to guide them throughout the plant, but Rio's would runn off GPS above ground. Bear in mind that the ones at Geelong run very well and never get lost. Toyota are looking at introducing the technology in their stamping plant also.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sort of upsetting that the one last hope of employment for people in manufacturing was the mines, and now they want to take that away. So Rio Tinto now rape the soil and don't even give aussies jobs doing it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Sort of upsetting that the one last hope of employment for people in manufacturing was the mines, and now they want to take that away. So Rio Tinto now rape the soil and don't even give aussies jobs doing it.

Absolute rubbish.

Have you been on the Rio Tinto website lately and looked at the jobs available?

Couldn't agree more vanman.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
Absolute rubbish.

Have you been on the Rio Tinto website lately and looked at the jobs available?

Couldn't agree more vanman.
There used to be 25-30 people on a press line at Fords, now due to robots there are 3-4. It hasn't happened at Rio Tinto yet, but give it time...........
Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Seen the prototype ideas , can't wait for me to ask a truck to short dump in front of my blade on a sinking dump ..won't happen , to many parameters and variables . Some good advice in here and a lot misguided , truck is by far the easiest ticket to get a start ..don't bother too much with other skills as you may get a job on that ticket and be sacked on it also through lack of ability .people all want to get straight on as an operator but don't realise the jobs are given to cleaners , and other workers that are on site .
Workpak and other employment agencies can't get people and have noone on their books so I'm guessing all the people who say they want in are not actually serious , I see it with my own family/ friends always asking how to get in and never do what I tell them .
Generic s first , ticket second , accommodation third and ring ring ring ...
And to those who believe we work too much I do even time rosters ad do most so my family / off time is huge ..if I left it would not be the money I would miss but the lifestyle .
Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with you vanman... alot of people just want to show up to a mine site and start work. With someone else doing the work for them.
Hear friends talking with other people alot...
Friend- im working as a fitter in mines
Random person- cool, get me a job
Friend- you need to get generics, medical....
Random person- nah stuff that i just want a job.

Got a call back about a pit job, sounds promising so fingers crossed.
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #14
Day-mow
rexnet

im trying to get into the mines working as a dogman. it seems that people only want experience workers.
its a bit hard to get experience when no1 will give it to you

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
v gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
im trying to get into the mines working as a dogman. it seems that people only want experience workers.
its a bit hard to get experience when no1 will give it to you
how much experience have you got. if its little to none then you shouldnt get the job. way to easy a ticket to get for the consequences that can and do pop up. all green guys that come my way get hammered and if your not up to scratch ill run ya off.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

At moranbah boom go through quite a few workers , and those with fitting skills well I know allight can't get general mechanic, we have a permanent sign as you drive in to moranbah fitters wanted , local shops always needing workers if you just need a start ,I started doing formwork and concrete with a contractor and for the last 6 years bhp gee even the servos are on 22 plus an hour and rosters,which get ya a grand a week ....so all I can say is look outside ya comfort zone ...Hell grab a job at spotless cleaners your onsite, in the zone missuscleaned for a few months and now works with me driving the gear , and has been for 3 years ..You got no job your not trying
Old 12-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
At moranbah boom go through quite a few workers , and those with fitting skills well I know allight can't get general mechanic, we have a permanent sign as you drive in to moranbah fitters wanted , local shops always needing workers if you just need a start ,I started doing formwork and concrete with a contractor and for the last 6 years bhp gee even the servos are on 22 plus an hour and rosters,which get ya a grand a week ....so all I can say is look outside ya comfort zone ...Hell grab a job at spotless cleaners your onsite, in the zone missuscleaned for a few months and now works with me driving the gear , and has been for 3 years ..You got no job your not trying
Spot on vanman_75!!
There is more to a job in the mines than just driving trucks around. There are numerous other contractors on site that will give you a start in the industry. I started in construction as a trade assistant and have done everything from shut down works to washplant maintenance, power lines and now plant operator.

If you want a job bad enough and put in the efforrt you will get one. Just don't expect to start at the top straight away.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Those general mine induction courses, can you do them in any state?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #19
Willmont ghia

Hey im lookin for some entry level work in the mines in the newcastle, maitland or singleton area. And i was wondering if anyone knows of anythn going? Or can give me sum help
Willmont ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Read the whole thread, the tips are there. Unless you have experience/tickets you need to pay for your own generics/induction to be even considered for a start. By be aware, generics are state specific, so doing NSW won't cover you for Qld or WA
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #21
Road Games

Thumbs up Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Any Diesel fitters local to Ipswich/Brisbane/Goldie ,who dont want to FIFO hit up here>>> http://www.newhopecoal.com.au/home.aspx

Pay starts from $90000 for 6 day roster and speak to Mick Jeffreys..

HTH..Daz.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
gtfpv
GT

yeah i am still interested reading this thread . it seems to be running in 2. different directions .
one direction preaching safety , and technology . which is backed up by people saying they cant get a start.
and another saying that you can just pay for a ticket , and there are jobs for anyone off the street .
as a tradesmen , i would not want to be working along side someone who has no experience or idea . and people thinking they should be able to get a job due to demand . what if there was a shortage of 747 pilots ??? that job pays well , i've heard TIGER are screaming for them , bankstown airport are running day courses for $655 .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #23
v gate

$655 hmmm air hosties. crane/plane close enough ?
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think I should start off with HR license, I can go for that in march next year.

But how do I practise for a non syncro gearbox? I don't want to exactly mongo my car by trying to shift without using the clutch?
Old 13-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I think I should start off with HR license, I can go for that in march next year.

But how do I practise for a non syncro gearbox? I don't want to exactly mongo my car by trying to shift without using the clutch?
Its not something you can really practise without being in the truck. Some instructors will teach you to use the clutch on all shifts by using the double shuffle method, where you don't actually push the clutch all the way in, just enough to take the load of the box. Changing without using the clutch takes finness with the throttle and gear lever and practice. Its different when the truck is empty compared to loaded and each truck is different
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Gtfpv , yes lots of safety . I get what you say about working with inexperienced people , I work with ten women who either have never worked / just out of school / 50 year old housewives etc and after a couple hours sitting beside a trainer are at the wheel of 350 ton trucks , all I can do is dodge them with my experience , and guide them ...but hey who am I to say who gets a job , in my job its much like being on the highway with all the varying skill levels .but in saying that I work with some men with 30 years in the same job and are dangerous and useless ...most mine machines are super easy to drive ( different than being an actual good operator) so even dummies aren't a real danger . And while the boom is on we don't have a choice but to get em and train em .
At the end of the day I won't let anyone do anything dangerous and do my best to make sure noone gets hurt , the industry has lost lots of its experience , so we can only hope that the people we get aren't twits .
Old 14-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #27
Road Games

Nice .... may need generics depending on site tho'...
Old 14-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
shewi6
Starter Motor

Somewhere here earlier said that some people can just have a mining job just fall into there lap, well thats exactly what happened to me.

After finishing school and turning 18 I applied at a recruitment company offering entry level jobs (including dump truck operators) and ended up getting a job with the drill & blast department as a blast tech with no experience necessary and all generics paid for by the company.

I am lucky that my job is in Mt Isa so it is literally a 2 minute drive to work everyday. I work in an open cut silver/zinc/lead mine, only work day shifts on a 4/4 roster.

For the first 6 months as i was working basically as a contractor i was only on a flat 27 an hour with no holiday or sick pay but am now signed on to xstrata on 80g a year and also have a loader ticket and am thinking of doing a shotfirers course.
shewi6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #29
Road Games

Cool Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Definately do the shotfirers course mate ..

I was on the drill n' blast crew in 89' at Newhope, hit this site up for advice as well matey ... http://www.oricaminingservices.com/au/en
Old 14-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #30
shewi6
Starter Motor

Yeah i will definitely do the course some time in the future but right now we have more shotfirers than we need and the company wont reimburse the cost of the course.
shewi6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post