Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #13411
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
Wait, you saw that tweet as a reason to think that it's not as bad as people say it is?
2017 Flu figures: 233,000 reported cases, 745 dead. 0.319% of cases resulted in death.
2020/21 Covid figures: 31,000 cases, 940 dead. 2.993% of cases resulted in death.

Covid mortality is more than 9 times higher than 2017's flu figures.
Its this, plus the inability for them to understand that using this as a rationale to open everything up is so fundamentally flawed. If you do you will go from 300 cases a day nationally to 10000 plus cases a day in weeks. Then @ just 1% morbidity we will be at 100 deaths a day a few weeks after that.

The only answer we have right now is getting vaccinated.

Screw the advertising saying do it for everyone else. That wont work here because our population don't care about others. As Paul Keating said something like, "when in doubt, back self interest, at least you know that will be trying."

Put an add up now, "After opening up, we will have 10000 cases a day. Those that are vaccinated will most likely catch it, and will most likely have symptoms like a cold. Vaccination is no good after you catch covid. Those that aren't vaccinated before catching it, well 1% will die. Who do you want to be?"

4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #13412
Trevor 57
is now there

how do those figures compare to road fatalities Australia wide?

Am I more likely to die from:
  1. COVID
  2. Flu
  3. Road accident
Old 09-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #13413
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

1. COVID
  2. Flu
  3. Road accident
I'm sure that if road accidents were contagious, I would probably jump onto the 'wear your seat belt' buzz more than I currently do. 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Its this, plus the inability for them to understand that using this as a rationale to open everything up is so fundamentally flawed. If you do you will go from 300 cases a day nationally to 10000 plus cases a day in weeks. Then @ just 1% morbidity we will be at 100 deaths a day a few weeks after that.

The only answer we have right now is getting vaccinated.

Screw the advertising saying do it for everyone else. That wont work here because our population don't care about others. As Paul Keating said something like, "when in doubt, back self interest, at least you know that will be trying."

Put an add up now, "After opening up, we will have 10000 cases a day. Those that are vaccinated will most likely catch it, and will most likely have symptoms like a cold. Vaccination is no good after you catch covid. Those that aren't vaccinated before catching it, well 1% will die. Who do you want to be?"
Children under 16 would just be collateral, I guess. Sorry kids, we appreciate your sacrifice.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #13414
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got jab 2.
Now I can get infected and infectious without a care ;-)
Old 09-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #13415
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:

1. COVID
  2. Flu
  3. Road accident
It's pretty simple really.

1. COVID (in Australia) has an adult mortality rate of 5.22 per 100k of adult population.

2. Influenza in Australia during a bad year like 2019 has a mortality rate of 4.139 per 100k but is more normally about 1.68 per 100k and has been just about zero the last 18 months.

3. As a driver, the road death mortality rate in 2020 was 3.0/100k and for all vehicle occupants 4.044/100k although it is worse if we include pedestrians, cyclists and motorbike riders.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 09-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #13416
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

1. COVID (in Australia) has an adult mortality rate of 5.22 per 100k of adult population.

2. Influenza in Australia during a bad year like 2019 has a mortality rate of 4.139 per 100k but is more normally about 1.68 per 100k and has been just about zero the last 18 months.

3. As a driver, the road death mortality rate in 2020 was 3.0/100k and for all vehicle occupants 4.044/100k although it is worse if we include pedestrians, cyclists and motorbike riders.
And the argument that the mortality rate for COVID is so low, there's no justification for continued control measures (such as restrictions and lockdowns) would be like saying that because the mortality rate for driving a car is so low we might as well well not make it a legal requirement to wear a seat belt.

One does not necessarily justify the other.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 09-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #13417
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

Simple you say, but did they die with road accident or from road accident?

Big differance and without internet trolls having access to every autopsy how do we know we are not being lied to?

See what I did there?
Old 09-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #13418
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

1. COVID
  2. Flu
  3. Road accident
Two out of those three don't collapse the hospital system.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #13419
tweeked
N/A all the way

Imagine how low the road toll would be if we only allow essential road traffic, made sure no vehicles came within 1.5 meters of each other at all times, and only allowed 1 person from each house in a car at one time, and didnt allow any car to go more that 5 km from home!!!

4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #13420
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Imagine how low the road toll would be if we only allow essential road traffic, made sure no vehicles came within 1.5 meters of each other at all times, and only allowed 1 person from each house in a car at one time, and didnt allow any car to go more that 5 km from home!!!
Stop giving them ideas!!
Old 09-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #13421
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Didn't vic have zero road toll during the lock down of wave 2?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #13422
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I'll copy and paste this when I do the census, sorry Workhorse.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #13423
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of curiosity, has the flu ever killed 700+ aged care residents in the space of a couple of months within one small jurisdiction?

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 09-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #13424
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Out of curiosity, has the flu ever killed 700+ aged care residents in the space of a couple of months within one small jurisdiction?
Clutching at Straws, you are.

And Lung viruses in general kill more around Aust, (so far), than any other cause.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #13425
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Clutching at Straws, you are.

And Lung viruses in general kill more around Aust, (so far), than any other cause.
Was a simple question. Was that a yes or no? Honest question. Have we had a flu (or any other disease) that swept across a sector, and killed 700 odd in a very short period and in a small jurisdiction?

Rides (past and present)

Old 09-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #13426
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
There are now outbreaks in Cairns and now Armidale and Tamworth.

I've been to those places numerous times and there is zero pollution there. Compared to the rest of the world OZ does not have a pollution problem.

Have you tried emailing the world leaders to tell them that you have the answer?
One person is all it takes to leave a hotspot and just travel Willy nilly as a spreader, wether in Orange or Cairns, I've flown into smog in Sydney so thick that only Centrpoint Tower was visible!
You get pollution standing on any street corner in peak hour traffic, where do people think it all goes to!....besides your lungs, it hangs around as you drive away to pollute elsewhere, not talking India or China, but try Port Kembla Steelworks on a windless day or any coal fired Power Station in any location, it's all pollution, and its from burning fossil fuels!
And it's killing us, slowly but surely one by one!

Cheers Billy
Old 09-08-2021, 06:54 PM   #13427
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Was a simple question. Was that a yes or no? Honest question. Have we had a flu (or any other disease) that swept across a sector, and killed 700 odd in a very short period and in a small jurisdiction?
Not how I read your question -
Anyway Spanish Flu, happily disposed of around 500mill people over a couple of years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #13428
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

1. COVID
  2. Flu
  3. Road accident

Ya forgot one? Attaching arms to bears, that's pretty dangerous

Cheers Billy, just joking, this thread needs it too
Old 09-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #13429
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
One person is all it takes to leave a hotspot and just travel Willy nilly as a spreader, wether in Orange or Cairns, I've flown into smog in Sydney so thick that only Centrpoint Tower was visible!
You get pollution standing on any street corner in peak hour traffic, where do people think it all goes to!....besides your lungs, it hangs around as you drive away to pollute elsewhere, not talking India or China, but try Port Kembla Steelworks on a windless day or any coal fired Power Station in any location, it's all pollution, and its from burning fossil fuels!
And it's killing us, slowly but surely one by one!
We weren't talking about how many people it took to spread it. Your point was ....
Quote:
I still believe this virus is more intensively concentrated on any area here or overseas, where there is a rise in ground level pollution,
Which has nothing to do with Cairns or Tamworth that I mentioned.

And going by your theory Pt Kembla, along with living near any Coal Fired power station, should all be hot spots?

Seriously?
Old 09-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #13430
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
There are now outbreaks in Cairns and now Armidale and Tamworth.

I've been to those places numerous times and there is zero pollution there. Compared to the rest of the world OZ does not have a pollution problem.
Interesting coincidence, today on the Internet news: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...inds/100357436
Mind you, winter pollution in the “bowl” of Launceston is pretty awful, too.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #13431
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not how I read your question -
Anyway Spanish Flu, happily disposed of around 500mill people over a couple of years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
Thanks. So pretty serious then. Not just like an ordinary flu. What did we do during spanish flu?

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #13432
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

I usually dont get into covid debates, but this statistic threw me. These are the TOTAL deaths for america for each year from 2015 with the differential from the previous year.

2015 - 2,712,630

2016 - 2,744,248. +31,618

2017 - 2,813,503. +69,255

2018 - 2,839,205. -25,702

2019 - 2,854,838. +15,633

2020 - 3,358,814. +503,976

I’m tired and maths isnt a strong point of mine but last year that was a massive massive jump in total deaths. Also seeing doctors and nurses pleading with people to get the jab for something that is now entirely preventable is just so sad.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003

Last edited by BA-XT; 09-08-2021 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
7 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #13433
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And (pollution is) killing us, slowly but surely one by one!
Cheers Billy
Except it isn’t. Highly industrialised countries have higher life expectancies as well as higher exposure to poxy chemicals.
It’s a paradox. There’s many folk dying young on a diet of organic veges in poor countries.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #13434
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks. So pretty serious then. Not just like an ordinary flu. What did we do during spanish flu?

Wore masks and died in droves. That's what happened.
My old man was born in 1903, he told us stories of the times. People in country towns & on farms burying people in back yards.
Covered carts collecting bodies in cities.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

RTV Power
4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #13435
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
We weren't talking about how many people it took to spread it. Your point was ....Which has nothing to do with Cairns or Tamworth that I mentioned.

And going by your theory Pt Kembla, along with living near any Coal Fired power station, should all be hot spots?

Seriously?
Not really, you need to work out how it travels?...there is a common denominator yet to be worked out, I'm no scientist and neither are you or anyone else on this thread, we are just throwing opinions around, but sadly some opinions get more forum support than others, that's OK, it's keeping the thread alive, it's not a courtroom

Cheers Juror Slowsnake
Old 09-08-2021, 08:22 PM   #13436
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wore masks and died in droves. That's what happened.
My old man was born in 1903, he told us stories of the times. People in country towns & on farms burying people in back yards.
Covered carts collecting bodies in cities.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
15,000 deaths here. Yeh, massive carnage across the world, but I'm going to bet the response was a lot slower, and PPE and cleaning technology wasn't as good. Coupled with an ongoing world war in Europe.

Anyway, recent discussions here were on questioning the mortality rate and seriousness of Covid. So apart from Spanish flu, there hasn't been a specific disease that has caused so much carnage in such a short period of time?

Rides (past and present)

Old 09-08-2021, 09:20 PM   #13437
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/he...latest-release

For those interested in statistics.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #13438
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So apart from Spanish flu, there hasn't been a specific disease that has caused so much carnage in such a short period of time?
No, here there hasn't*. Most of the playbook they used in WA was straight from how they handled spanish flu here, including quarantine, masks and banning anyone leaving Perth (they had road blocks back then too).

Quote:
Despite attempts to contain the disease, it eventually entered the civilian population. Estimates put the death toll in Australia at about 12,000. Western Australia fared better than the more populous eastern states but even so 638 people are known to have died from it here. A free inoculation in W.A. was available and health authorities administered almost 95,000 doses of vaccine
(The spanish flu arrived here after the war BTW, not during it).

People have been studying the spanish flu for a long time, including knowing how well let it rip, herd immunity vs lock downs work. The latter works better BTW ;-)

*of course there's been SARs and others in non western countries, but nothing major in Aus, USA or europe since the spanish flu.
SARs is worse than the flu because it can be airborne as we took alomst a year to figure out! Droplets, surfaces etc that the flu spreads with is lower risk or more controllable.

E: The worst thing about the spanish flu is it somehow used your health against you. It was the younger, more fitter people more likely to die from it!
second worse thing was that no one knew how to make a proper flu vaccine back then so NFI what the hell they were taking! But they rolled up for WA and took it
Some talk about that 'vaccine' here: https://www.mdpi.com/2414-6366/3/1/1...almed-03-00017

Last edited by oldel; 09-08-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:19 PM   #13439
zilo
BANNED

You guys are missing the bigger picture.

It's not how many DIE from each cause...but the impacts.

A road fatality statistics are dwarfed by the number of drivers/passengers/peds who end up in a wheelchair.

The number of people with organs compromised for life after Covid is huge.

The flu...dunno...

Just sayin'...kinda like...sorta..kinda like...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:21 PM   #13440
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
No, here there hasn't*. Most of the playbook they used in WA was straight from how they handled spanish flu here, including quarantine, masks and banning anyone leaving Perth (they had road blocks back then too).

(The spanish flu arrived here after the war BTW, not during it).

People have been studying the spanish flu for a long time, including knowing how well let it rip, herd immunity vs lock downs work. The latter works better BTW ;-)

*of course there's been SARs and others in non western countries, but nothing major in Aus, USA or europe since the spanish flu.
SARs is worse than the flu because it can be airborne as we took alomst a year to figure out! Droplets, surfaces etc that the flu spreads with is lower risk or more controllable.

E: The worst thing about the spanish flu is it somehow used your health against you. It was the younger, more fitter people more likely to die from it!
second worse thing was that no one knew how to make a proper flu vaccine back then so NFI what the hell they were taking! But they rolled up for WA and took it
Some talk about that 'vaccine' here: https://www.mdpi.com/2414-6366/3/1/1...almed-03-00017

Well my research from over a year ago stated that the 1889 Russian flu was a corona virus, and again Russia was decimated by Russian flu in 1977,
Maybe we have not been ascribing the right names to the right or same illnesses!

Cheers Billy
Closed Thread