Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default travel to Queensland

planning a trip from home up through Pord Arguda to Maryborough Queesland. First night will be Broken Hill after that.... whats the safest route without being attacked by local ferels. We did it a few years ago and were attached rock throwing at Will cania and attempted car jacking at Cobar.

prefer for that not again. but apart from droppng down through Mildua and then Dubbo whats other options

what would safer towns be to stay overnight Dubbo, Gilgandra, ????
Old 03-03-2024, 04:31 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: travel to Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
planning a trip from home up through Pord Arguda to Maryborough Queesland. First night will be Broken Hill after that.... whats the safest route without being attacked by local ferels. We did it a few years ago and were attached rock throwing at Will cania and attempted car jacking at Cobar.

prefer for that not again.
but apart from droppng down through Mildua and then Dubbo whats other options

might I suggest.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2024, 04:35 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Fly, then car hire.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2024, 04:55 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Tonz, Prydey might know of a better route, Doesn't he travel to Brisbane every now and then.

This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2024, 05:19 PM   #5
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

prefer for that not again. but apart from droppng down through Mildua and then Dubbo whats other options

Gilgandra and Coonabarabran are both ok. I'd steer clear of Dubbo thou....
Old 03-03-2024, 05:23 PM   #6
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Hey Tonz

Never stayed in Gilgandra (its fairly small), but have in Dubbo for visiting the zoo. Town is big enough to have everything you want, but also to have other things you may not. Like traffic, people and noise. Fair.

Coonabaraban is much quieter and peaceful, only downside is many of the motels are on the newell heading south out of town, so a bit of truck noise overnight. I'm a light sleeper and it didnt bother me though.

Gunnedah is another town i'd re-visit. Bigger than Coona, and we stayed on the western side of the tracks, which meant using one of the few rail crossings every time to go into town. Everything you need, but can feel a bit old in places, as its not a traditionally visitor oriented town. But did feel genuine. Locals were torn between the ag and fracking industries at the last visit.

Lastly, Narrabri is biggest of the three places I'd recommend to stay, busier and more industrious with plenty of jobs, so no need to break into your car to steal stuff.

Don't stop in Moree on the drive north. Continue to Goondiwindi, its only another 90 minutes away.

To Toowoomba via Milmerran is probably quickest, but the road is like a slow rollercoaster. Can be heavy with traffic and not recommended for the easily made queasy.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2024, 09:40 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
might I suggest.
Thankyou you bourke, had it in the back of my mind youd post something left field.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:53 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

This is the three of you travelling?
Old 03-03-2024, 09:58 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no just me and SWMBO in the ute with small popup van. Wont be farting around in towns just needing a motel (decent beds) then on the next day. Wifes bro turns 70

I should say this wont be until late August but planning is underway
Old 03-03-2024, 10:00 PM   #10
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
but have in Dubbo for visiting the zoo. Town is big enough to have everything you want,
Yeah, I agree. Dubbo, Coonabaraban, Narrabri are all nice places to visit. Also agree to avoid Moree as an overnighter.

The other option is Broken Hill to Charleville (via Cobar) on Day 2 for an overnight stay in Charleville. Then Charleville to Maryborough on Day 3.

The run from Charleville into to Chinchilla is usually a very good run, but the traffic can get a little slow/heavy at times on the eastern side of Roma with mining equipment and trucks. The secondary road from Chinchilla to Maryborough is usually OK but can slow at times due to grey nomads towing an oversize van with an underpowered clapped-out vehicle, being passed by RAM towing a more massive van.
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2024, 10:05 PM   #11
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Roma and Charleville are both fine to stopover in.

Agree on the road east of Roma. Not the most relaxing of drives.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2024, 10:07 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Tonz, Prydey might know of a better route, Doesn't he travel to Brisbane every now and then.
Yeah my folks live up there so travel at least once a year. However my trips are Adelaide to Brisbane so slightly different start and finish points.

Looking at Google maps, Tonz suggests going via Mildura. This only adds 3hrs to the total time and is a much less 'remote' route.

I've stayed overnight in Dubbo a few times over the years and had no trouble but have heard reports of local kids playing up from time to time.

Plenty of overnight accommodation options in most towns. We often stay in Parkes on the way north and west Wyalong on the way south.

Happy to help if you need more info Tonz.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:14 PM   #13
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no just me and SWMBO in the ute with small popup van. Wont be farting around in towns just needing a motel (decent beds) then on the next day. Wifes bro turns 70

I should say this wont be until late August but planning is underway
Sort of begs the question ... what is your limit to being on the road each day? I know some who tow vans usually call it quits after three - four hours on the road.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:23 PM   #14
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Looking at Google maps, Tonz suggests going via Mildura. This only adds 3hrs to the total time and is a much less 'remote' route.
Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing. Perhaps even going one step further and going via Sydney and Brisbane. It picks up the four lane highway just north of Tarcutta (NSW). From there, it is four lanes all the way through to Gympie (QLD). That is nearly 1500 km of divided carriageway. The only issue is navigating the madness through the back of Sydney (M7-M2-M1) and the stupid around the back of the Gold Coast. However, much nicer places to stay along the way. Lots of roadside support if needed. Adds about 700 km to the trip, but a much nicer drive.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:26 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Sort of begs the question ... what is your limit to being on the road each day? I know some who tow vans usually call it quits after three - four hours on the road.
Definitely not worth under-estimating “match fitness”. It could become an utterly debilitating journey, rather than an expression of septuagenarian joie-de-vivre.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:35 PM   #16
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing. Perhaps even going one step further and going via Sydney and Brisbane. It picks up the four lane highway just north of Tarcutta (NSW). From there, it is four lanes all the way through to Gympie (QLD). That is nearly 1500 km of divided carriageway. The only issue is navigating the madness through the back of Sydney (M7-M2-M1) and the stupid around the back of the Gold Coast. However, much nicer places to stay along the way. Lots of roadside support if needed. Adds about 700 km to the trip, but a much nicer drive.
Sydney 13 years since I was there for 4 nights, never again for this little white boy. How the hell do you live in such a rat race.

Although both in 70's we are very capable of long distance driving. Its the FG XR^ ute of course and a lite weight popup van. so 8-10 hours between us will not be a concern and she has a heavier boot than I do.

Last edited by Tonz; 03-03-2024 at 10:45 PM.
Tonz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2024, 10:41 PM   #17
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sydney 13 years I was there never again for this little white boy. How the hell do you live in such a rat race.

Although both in 70's we are very capable of long distance driving. Its the FG XR^ ute of course and a lite weight popup van. so 8-10 hours between us will not be a concern and she has a heavier boot than I do.
Cool. Just had to ask. Sydney isn't my thing either. But I do love what they have done to the Pacific Highway. Absolutely a great run these days.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:17 PM   #18
Itsme
Experienced Member

I'm going up to QLD end of May via Kidman's way, hopefully I don't expect any trouble.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2024, 12:13 AM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm not sure why people don't like driving in Sydney, its one of the better capital cities to drive around with other people on the roads, they're way better behaved than Melbourne and Adelaide drivers for sure.

Plus tunnels/freeways everywhere to get you around the joint.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2024, 12:16 AM   #20
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm not sure why people don't like driving in Sydney, its one of the better capital cities to drive around with other people on the roads, they're way better behaved than Melbourne and Adelaide drivers for sure.

Plus tunnels/freeways everywhere to get you around the joint.
Same goes with Brissy - the tunnels are awesome, and the locals don't seem to like them so they're never jammed up.

Not to mention in the NRL states people seem to like going somewhere near the speed limit, unlike the constant 25 under on Sunshine Avenue, or my personal favourite the slamming on the brakes to 60km/h in front of the speed cameras on the Calder Freeway near Sunbury

As for driving vs flying and renting: given what rental car costs are like, especially when you want to drive something that's NOT a MG3, I know what I would do...
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2024, 07:31 AM   #21
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Horses for courses Tonz where you live.
Some are in nicer locations compared to others no matter where.
Franco in all my regular annual travels to each State cities Sydney always picked in re traffic etc but I have watched Melb catch up the last 15yrs and worse than ever now.
Brisbane the ol sleepy city was nothing re traffic but the migration influx last 20yrs has changed it and worse the recent infrastructure works has made it worse than the 2 big cities to me.
Of the 3 putting aside the usual hopeless drivers we all have Sydney I travel more comfortable 5/15k’s above the limit daily whereas I wouldn’t dare in Melbourne for decades and why tunnels are less traffic in Bris because they are tight ***** lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2024, 02:32 PM   #22
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I'm doing a trip from south to north in a couple of weeks time: the daughter is spreading her wings, leaving the nest and moving to the much warmer climes of Cairns. We're heading off from Ballarat as we have a pre-arranged concert we're going to. Stopping in at Hervey Bay on the way to check it out, as it's, theoretically, a place I'd like to move to in a a few years time.

We've decided a slightly shorter day on the first day is in store after the concert Saturday, so stopping over in West Wyalong (7h drive time) the first night, Goondiwindi (8.5h) the second, Hervey Bay (only 6h, to give us time to check the place out a bit) the 3rd, Mackay (8h) the fourth, and then Cairns (8.5h) for our final day.

Prydey, do you have a regular place to stay in WW? Looking at the palms, basic but good reviews and prce. Right opposite the Services club, too, for a meal.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2024, 02:38 PM   #23
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I'd carry on to Parkes myself if I was heading that way rather than West Wyalong. Try the Roasted Kombi Cafe in Parkes for a great bacon and egg roll.

Back to Tonz's question. I'd pick Warren, Gilgandra, Coonamble, Coonabarabran or even Narrabri as my next stop depending which way you go. I've stayed in all of them and have never had a problem. I've never had a problem at Cobar either. I'd steer clear of Wilcannia as well. It's only good for a loo break.

Last edited by naddis01; 04-03-2024 at 02:43 PM.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2024, 02:47 PM   #24
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I'd carry on to Parkes myself if I was heading that way rather than West Wyalong. Try the Roasted Kombi Cafe in Parkes for a great bacon and egg roll.

Back to Tonz's question. I'd pick Warren, Gilgandra, Coonamble, Coonabarabran or even Narrabri as my next stop depending which way you go. I've stayed in all of them and have never had a problem. I've never had a problem at Cobar either. I'd steer clear of Wilcannia as well. It's only good for a loo break.
Just makes it a big day after what will likely be a big night preceding. Kombi cafe sounds like the ideal spot for breakfast on our second day, tho! Thanks for the tip!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2024, 04:22 PM   #25
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm doing a trip from south to north in a couple of weeks time: the daughter is spreading her wings, leaving the nest and moving to the much warmer climes of Cairns. We're heading off from Ballarat as we have a pre-arranged concert we're going to. Stopping in at Hervey Bay on the way to check it out, as it's, theoretically, a place I'd like to move to in a a few years time.

OBVIOUSLY YOU'VE NEVER BIN TO YAP-HOON

We've decided a slightly shorter day on the first day is in store after the concert Saturday, so stopping over in West Wyalong (7h drive time) the first night, Goondiwindi (8.5h) the second, Hervey Bay (only 6h, to give us time to check the place out a bit) the 3rd, Mackay (8h) the fourth, and then Cairns (8.5h) for our final day.

HV to McK try 10 hrs, same to Cairns 'cos Qld roads

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2024, 04:25 PM   #26
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

reminds me when I'm on the coast at Dubai
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2024, 04:30 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Do the Japanese till own that development, Joe sold them in Yap hoon years ago.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:56 PM   #28
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Do the Japanese till own that development, Joe sold them in Yap hoon years ago.
The Capricorn Resort is a little north of Yeppoon, you can't fit a golf course at Cav's favourite cafe by the lagoon!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2024, 05:43 PM   #29
Warrenk

I have stayed at or been through all the towns you talked about in the 4 years at least once, and have not been troubled (or read about anything) by the locals. If you were staying in free camps on the way It could be a problem, but as you are staying in motels (and/or caravan parks) you should have no problems. Pick the quickest way and enjoy your trip.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:58 PM   #30
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did one trip up from Vic where we went around the back of Sydney, and did a divert Junee - Cootamundra - Young - Cowra - Bathurst - top of Wollemi park into Hunter Valley before coast hwy: only chipping in to mention that a Deli at Cootamundra did an entire cooked breaky in a wrap that made the trip, it was awesome.