Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #10561
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I had to shake my head at the poor sob story article about the poor indian family that has been separated from their child for 12 months now due to Covid travel restrictions.

Can someone explain to me how a mother and father can be separated from their 19 month old baby for the last 12 months and the baby has to be cared for by relatives in india?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...d-19/100125054

What a crock of crap.
Easy. In certain cultures it is not uncommon for grand parents to look after the grand kids whilst the mum and dad work. The border restrictions applied 12+ months ago pretty much came into effect overnight, so it wasn't like there was a tonne of flights come back that people could have caught. At that stage India wasn't that bad, so some may have thought keeping them there until flights open up was a better idea. I have also heard some people were reluctant to fly back initially because they didn't want to be on a plane with potentially infected passengers.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #10562
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I can see an humanitarian appeal to the UN coming, funded by Russia.
Russia and China sit on the UN Human Rights council for AsiaPac
Old 09-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #10563
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Not true Coupe the area was a **** hole long before covid.
Come on Work Horse, I'm rather fond of one place there.

http://www.monarchcakes.com.au/index.htm

2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #10564
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Easy. In certain cultures it is not uncommon for grand parents to look after the grand kids whilst the mum and dad work. .
ROFL,,,,,we are not talking about extended family here...we are talking about leaving baby in India and working in Australia....

Phhht!...mum and dad dual nationals making good bucks in Australia leaving the baby behind in India...free child care...good plan...I get it now.

yeah....may as well have been cricketers chasing big bucks...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
4 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #10565
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ROFL,,,,,we are not talking about extended family here...we are talking about leaving baby in India and working in Australia....

Phhht!...mum and dad dual nationals making good bucks in Australia leaving the baby behind in India...free child care...good plan...I get it now.

yeah....may as well have been cricketers chasing big bucks...
Yes mate, it happens. Kids often effectively grow up with grand parents whilst mum and dad works. Grand parents also expect to get looked after in return by mum and dad, none of this aged care or nursing home business. Hence certain cultures you see big families under one roof.

Yes it may sound odd if you aren't familiar with that background. Most eastern cultures find it odd that Aussies kick their kids out of home when they turn 18....or make them pay rent

Can't have dual nationality with India. They don't allow it. So they would have surrendered their Indian citizenship when they got the Australian one. Permanent residency is a different story though.

Last edited by T3rminator; 09-05-2021 at 06:00 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #10566
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had to shake my head at the poor sob story article about the poor indian family that has been separated from their child for 12 months now due to Covid travel restrictions.

Can someone explain to me how a mother and father can be separated from their 19 month old baby for the last 12 months and the baby has to be cared for by relatives in india?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...d-19/100125054

What a crock of crap.
it says it right in the article

Quote:
Ms Narang and her two daughters flew to India in January last year. She came back with her elder daughter in March, expecting her youngest to return with her grandmother. Then the borders closed.
happy to help
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #10567
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Victoria backs indefinite border closure

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sub...s&mode=premium

Interesting. That's about the 3rd thing Merlino has backed from the Fed since taking over from CD. I wonder if we have a change of the guard on the way...
Old 09-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #10568
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Greater Sydney extends COVID-19 restrictions as no new local cases recorded

NSW Health said investigations were still ongoing into how a man in his 50s contracted the virus, before passing it onto his wife.

In a statement, NSW Health said restrictions would remain in place "to safeguard the community and reduce the risk of further transmission" while investigations continued.

"NSW Health has not identified how the initial case … was exposed to COVID-19, which suggests he acquired the infection through brief contact with a currently unidentified person who was infectious in the community" the statement said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...y-17/100126708

So... NSW couldn't and still (apparently) doesn't know how the Northern beaches cluster started. Couldn't and still doesn't know how the Berala cluster started. They released info and dates on the Berala BWS as being ground zero, only to change the info and dates about a week later (which not many media picked up on). And now, still don't know how man in his 59 year old and his wife got Covid. Can't find the missing link, apparently.

I'm not sure this would be regarded as "Gold Standard" in anyone's language! Maybe the old illusion of truth effect is at work here. If you say it enough times, people will believe it as truth.

Something to note. The Berala cluster was said to be of the USA variant. The man in the centre of the current NSW quarantine leak (yes, another one) is also from Berala apparently. And confirmed as having the USA strain. You have to wonder if the man has the same USA variant from early January, and are NSW Health "cleaning up" by saying he got it from someone currently in quarantine? Could it be the original Berala cluster is still circulating in the area, as NSW really didn't get that cluster under control in the first place? Asking for a friend.

Last edited by Tickford.; 09-05-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #10569
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Merlino is Victorian ALP Right faction. Looks like we may get be getting a moderate leader back in Spring Street to steer Victoria through the pandemic.

Out of the shadows: Will James Merlino be our next premier?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...10-p57i2w.html
Old 09-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #10570
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Victoria backs indefinite border closure

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sub...s&mode=premium

Interesting. That's about the 3rd thing Merlino has backed from the Fed since taking over from CD. I wonder if we have a change of the guard on the way...
Hmmmmm "only report on GSS", thanks for the vote of confidence. Two updates in a row from uncle Rupert, both behind a paywall, you'll need to quote the important bits for those not paid up. Curious to know what were the other 2 mentioned

Truth be told there was only one big sticky disagreement between Vic and Feds last year, and that was the suppression elimination strategy, and I for one am glad we didn't "learn to live with it". Everything else was agreed at national cabinet. Plenty of thanks at those daily pressers if I remember. Not to be confused with some of the kick a Vic cheap commentary and political pot shots in our hour of need.

Merlino seems like a sensible chap, seems like he is capable of doing the job.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #10571
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
How many Qantas tickets can the leprechaun sell now Both him and the flight center boss have been saying there would be travel by the end of the year... I guess they are desperate to sell tickets.

But govt says no, and now theyve made it official.

Qantus will need more handouts I guess.

I dont remember asking or voting for a zero case policy, but if morrison says thats what I want, it must be what I want.
People vaccinated can still get it and spread it. And they are also saying new variants make it next to useless over time. They will eventually need to face reality that it can’t be stopped with vaccines. Not these ones anyway.

So what other option is there? Let it spread and aim for natural immunity? At some point it may be the only option.

Unless they can develop a vaccine that gives you full immunity.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2021, 08:30 AM   #10572
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

He wasn't just buying a BBQ, he was looking to buy BBQs Galore

Apollo Global MD contracts COVID-19 in Sydney

Quote:
Investment giant Apollo Global Management managing director Tom Pizzey is the Sydney person that has been diagnosed with COVID-19.

Street Talk understands Pizzey, who is one of only two full-time employees at Apollo in Australia, is still suffering COVID-19 symptoms and is suspected of catching the virus from a returned US traveller.
https://www.afr.com/street-talk/apol...0210509-p57qaq
Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 AM   #10573
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, they've named him. Is this the first time someone has been named? MD of a global investment firm. Never left the country. One can only speculate. The home quarantine breach is plausible, the privileged mingling with the privileged.

This one is paywall free...

Tom Pizzey identified as Sydney’s ‘BBQ man’ and it explains everything

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...9f3a9da64c5193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Something to note. The Berala cluster was said to be of the USA variant. The man in the centre of the current NSW quarantine leak (yes, another one) is also from Berala apparently. And confirmed as having the USA strain.......
The current case is an "indian strain", brought in by a passenger who flew in from the US. That passenger is in hotel quarantine, so they were able to sequence it back to him.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #10574
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
People vaccinated can still get it and spread it. And they are also saying new variants make it next to useless over time. They will eventually need to face reality that it can’t be stopped with vaccines. Not these ones anyway.

So what other option is there? Let it spread and aim for natural immunity? At some point it may be the only option.

Unless they can develop a vaccine that gives you full immunity.
Yes, for a zero case policy, Australia would have to be shut off from the world for many years yet because of all you said... and a vaccine for a coronavirus to give full immunity, well, it hasnt been done thus far.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #10575
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Yes, for a zero case policy, Australia would have to be shut off from the world for many years yet because of all you said... and a vaccine for a coronavirus to give full immunity, well, it hasnt been done thus far.
Even the flu shot doesn't give full immunity, so expecting a magical cure is unrealistic. The vaccine has always been about keeping people out of hospitals and dying, not prevention. Borders will open sooner than people think. I'll give it 6-12 months.

Budget plan: Australia to open borders next year to bring back migrants

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...09-p57qah.html
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #10576
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Wow, they've named him. Is this the first time someone has been named?
No, there was the two Qld girls who got more media coverage than the Qld premier at election time.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #10577
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
No, there was the two Qld girls who got more media coverage than the Qld premier at election time.
Hmmm yes. But they were suspected criminals, alleged to have stolen luxury goods whilst in melb, and also breaking health orders across multiple states.

This bloke has done nothing wrong that we know of. I wonder if he gave permission. Reported on both Murdoch and Fairfax.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #10578
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 9th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

10 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.042%.

2 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.984% and active cases 27.

The UK had a lower 1,770 cases yesterday and 2 deaths.

Just over 35k new cases in the USA yesterday and 631 deaths sees CMR at 1.780%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global deaths pass 3.3M, the last 50k in 4 days;

Only -
Maldives (1,091); and
Sri Lanka (2,672)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Oman and Syria drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #10579
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Merlino is Victorian ALP Right faction. Looks like we may get be getting a moderate leader back in Spring Street to steer Victoria through the pandemic.

Out of the shadows: Will James Merlino be our next premier?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...10-p57i2w.html
Merlino has no hope, think you will be looking at Jacinta Allan who is the golden ALP girl.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #10580
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Merlino has no hope, think you will be looking at Jacinta Allan who is the golden ALP girl.
I hadn't heard of her. Old article but possibly explains why...

The paranoid reason why Dan Andrews is silencing one of his best performing female ministers – as she emerges as a contender for Victoria's top job after his 'shameful' handling of COVID-19 crisis

Quote:
The woman touted as a replacement for Victoria's beleaguered Labor Premier Daniel Andrews has been silenced by her boss.

Jacinta Allan, the popular Minister for Transport Infrastructure, has emerged as a contender for the top job with draconian Stage 4 lockdowns decimating the state economy and the government's once unassailable popularity.

A former federal Labor MP from Victoria, Michael Danby, has described as 'shameful' the Andrews Government's botched hotel quarantining fiasco which has seen Melbourne's five million residents placed into a strict Stage 4 lockdown with an 8pm curfew.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-COVID-19.html
Old 10-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #10581
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Hmmm yes. But they were suspected criminals, alleged to have stolen luxury goods whilst in melb, and also breaking health orders across multiple states.

This bloke has done nothing wrong that we know of. I wonder if he gave permission. Reported on both Murdoch and Fairfax.
Apparently he didn't give permission. This stinks and those media outlets should be ashamed of themselves
Old 10-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #10582
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Apparently he didn't give permission. This stinks and those media outlets should be ashamed of themselves

They could be in a bit of trouble. Hard to see the public interest here.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #10583
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
They could be in a bit of trouble. Hard to see the public interest here.
It's voyeurism 2121 style!
Old 10-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #10584
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I hadn't heard of her. Old article but possibly explains why...

The paranoid reason why Dan Andrews is silencing one of his best performing female ministers – as she emerges as a contender for Victoria's top job after his 'shameful' handling of COVID-19 crisis

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-COVID-19.html
Obviously you not a Victorian but Jacinta has been a top performer and very popular as a minister, it is just a matter of factional deals whether she gets to replace to Danny boy.
Mind you she has been in state politics for 20 years and has many more to come so definitely a contender.
Cheers.

PS: There is another female contender Jill Hennessy but she took a step back from the front bench recently so I doubt she would get a look in at the premier's position which I tip will be filled by a female politician this time if and when Danny boy steps down.

Last edited by Itsme; 10-05-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #10585
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Was walking around Homebush this morning right past the new vaccination centre.

Lines were a few hundred meters long.

I'll wait another 4-6 weeks before I apply for mine.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 10-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #10586
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Was walking around Homebush this morning right past the new vaccination centre.

Lines were a few hundred meters long.

I'll wait another 4-6 weeks before I apply for mine.
I got my astrazeneca jab at my doctors over 10 days ago, just like the flu shot where I had a sore shoulder for a day and nothing else out of the ordinary.
11 to 12 weeks wait for my next jab.
Cheers
5 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #10587
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Probably the only time people will be looking for fake IDs to make them younger

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...eeks/100127834
Old 10-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #10588
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Probably the only time people will be looking for fake IDs to make them younger

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...eeks/100127834
Employs 200 nurses, estimates more than 2,000 doses per day (how much more?)

So, an average of 10 jabs given per staff member per 12 hr day.

So, less than 1 per hr... give or take...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 10-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #10589
tweeked
N/A all the way

Got my first jab today, the process was frustrating to say the least.

So I go to the Vic DHHS website and look at the available centres, Clayton is closest to me, and get the phone number to book....

Step 1 - ring 1800 number.....
press 0 if I want an interpreter, - no I don't need that
press 1 for more information on the vaccine program - nah I don't need info, I just want to book
press 2 info for restrictions, travel permits, exposure sites, testing sites and results.. - no not that either
press 3 for health info for health professionals - I'm not one of them
press 4 other enquiries, help and assistance
to hear again press 9......so I press again, I must have missed it......

After another cycle, in the end I try 1 - and that is the one, why would they not list "to book a vaccine appointment"???? but anyway, that is just the start

Get through to a helpful person, she first asks questions to set up profile, age, work, have I travelled, had another vaccine etc, all set to book. I ask if Clayton (Monash Medical) is available for today as it is listed as appointment only. She says no, so then I ask for Dandenong hospital, bingo - 1pm is available.

Walk in to Dande hospital at 1 - join a large queue, that is ok sort of expected it. Notice that everyone is....well younger than me......Get to counter, told no this is a Pfizer site, Healthcare people only, and that they have been accidentally booking people to come here. HERE IS A TIP - put it on the webpage that it is not for the general public!!!

So I just head off after wasting an hour or so and drive down to Cranbourne Turf club. No appointment there, I am just trying a walk up, but 12 stations to check in and all empty. The longest wait was after the shot for the obligatory 15 mins.

Professionals set up these systems........I see how we mess everything up more clearly now.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #10590
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
I got my astrazeneca jab at my doctors over 10 days ago, just like the flu shot where I had a sore shoulder for a day and nothing else out of the ordinary.
11 to 12 weeks wait for my next jab.
Cheers
Unless you get a clot first...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Closed Thread