Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #10711
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

No, that’s bromance material.

The chicks will be after Nick Coatsworth, he’s the Brian Cox-style heartthrob of Oz Health.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #10712
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Sutto's got the tats man and flashed those guns while getting his shot. He's the glam boy of the medical world. I bet the GSS would love him as their very own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
No, that’s bromance material.

The chicks will be after Nick Coatsworth, he’s the Brian Cox-style heartthrob of Oz Health.
^^^ This
Old 17-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #10713
Trevor 57
is now there

My 40yo daughter calls Sutto 'eye candy', she said watching him do the press releases each day was what got her through 2020 with all the home schooling etc :

I gotta say, the tatts surprised me, my daughter wasn't surprised as she had read his bio
Old 17-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #10714
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Ahh...of course YOU got AZ so there's your point...aye mate?.
Good luck with your early adopter program...
Show me a front line worker who will get AZ...today...wonder why...
No the only aye mate is you made stuff up and got called on it.

Why are front line workers getting Pfizer? It is simple. They are saving a version of the vaccine for front liners, and making the other that has a very slight issue available to those at greater risk - that is fair enough. The vast majority of front liners are under 50. It is simple risk management.

I acknowledge that the RNA tech is newer and better, but with the current choice for me of AZ or nothing, I will have something that is clearly safer than nothing. When I most likely have a choice for a booster in the future, I would most likely go for Moderna or Pfizer, depending on what is learnt in the future.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...mon-with-covid

Produced for you by front line workers, in an Australian GP rag. How to get your blood clots, catching Covid its the best way by a factor of 10. I am aware of the risks, just taking the lowest risk with my eyes open. Interesting that the other two are there, just the media not grabbing it to the same extent.

2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #10715
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 16th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

13 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.036%.

1 case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.983% and active cases 18.

The UK had a lower 1,926 cases yesterday and 4 deaths.

Just under 28k new cases in the USA yesterday and 507 deaths sees CMR at 1.780%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
None.

Timor-Leste (179);
Cuba (1,383); and
Bahrain (1,884)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Cyprus and Peru drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #10716
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

On the subject of "white" Australian sports stars getting preferential treatment over "brown" Australian citizens.... oh wait... no one wants to mention it..,

...the next clusterf**k will be Japan if they go ahead with the Olympic games. Cases rising rapidly since the beginning of April, state of emergency extended in Tokyo. Why not invite thousands of people from all over the world for a couple of weeks (just enough time for incubation), then send them back home?

Sounds like a good plan doesn't it?

It's stupid and selfish to go ahead with these games. The athletes village will be like a incubation oven of Covid by the end of the games.
Old 17-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #10717
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Aussie cricketers touch down in Sydney after IPL COVID crisis

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Sunday that the cricketers were not given preferential treatment over other Australians seeking repatriation, and that they will not be counted in NSW’s arrival cap.

“The NSW government is happy for them to come in over the cap. That is something we insisted upon and they were happy to agree with that,” he said.

“They’ll come back under their own steam, on their own ticket, and they won’t be taking the spot in quarantine of any other Australian who is returning home under the NSW caps.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...d8f28cfcbb7b78
Old 17-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #10718
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Aussie cricketers touch down in Sydney after IPL COVID crisis

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Sunday that the cricketers were not given preferential treatment over other Australians seeking repatriation, and that they will not be counted in NSW’s arrival cap.

“The NSW government is happy for them to come in over the cap. That is something we insisted upon and they were happy to agree with that,” he said.

“They’ll come back under their own steam, on their own ticket, and they won’t be taking the spot in quarantine of any other Australian who is returning home under the NSW caps.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...d8f28cfcbb7b78
Who really cares as we we all know celebrities & sports stars were getting preferential treatment from all levels of governments with their blessings throughout this pandemic. Nothing new here except someone who is trying to say we Australians are racists & rednecks.
Cheers.
Old 17-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #10719
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
No the only aye mate is you made stuff up and got called on it.
You found some pollies to do a PR stunt to placate the masses...cool.
AZ is not certified by the US FDA.....still...and probably never will be.
How many US politicians or front line workers got AZ?
I googled like you did and couldn't find any

Quote:
Why are front line workers getting Pfizer? It is simple. They are saving a version of the vaccine for front liners, and making the other that has a very slight issue available to those at greater risk - that is fair enough..
R-i-i-ght.....so we are placing a higher value on some people than others.
I was in hospital yesterday, emergency at Royal Hobart.
I asked the question, not a single worker there had anything other than the Pfizer....that is a first hand report.

Quote:
The vast majority of front liners are under 50. It is simple risk management..
Now...surely you typed that before the brain was engaged properly?

Quote:
I acknowledge that the RNA tech is newer and better, but with the current choice for me of AZ or nothing,.
Better in the respect that it works, AZ will not work on the variants that haven't hit Aus yet. In my opinion taking Astra Zenica is a bit like you saying that you are happy with last years flu virus cause it's better than nothing....each to their own I guess.

Quote:
I will have something that is clearly safer than nothing. When I most likely have a choice for a booster in the future, I would most likely go for Moderna or Pfizer, depending on what is learnt in the future.
Glad we got that sorted out....I would agree with you if I wasn't in Australia...but for me I think I can afford to wait a bit considering the risks with rushed vaccines from a company that hasn't produced them before.

It's my opinion and I am happy with it.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #10720
leesa

Quote:
In my opinion taking Astra Zenica is a bit like you saying that you are happy with last years flu virus cause it's better than nothing....each to their own I guess.

Glad we got that sorted out....I would agree with you if I wasn't in Australia...but for me I think I can afford to wait a bit considering the risks with rushed vaccines from a company that hasn't produced them before.

Weren't you calling me an anti-vaxxer not that long ago for wanting to hold out and wait for a pfizer shot?
I think you might just like arguing for the sake of arguing.

4 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #10721
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

I considered this, but having seen what happens with something as simple as toilet paper here in Australia, I'm not waiting for an outbreak to then decide to get whatever is available.

5 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #10722
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 17th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

3 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.036%.

5 cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.981% and active cases 19.

The UK had a higher 1,979 cases yesterday and 5 deaths.

Just under 24k new cases in the USA yesterday and 307 deaths sees CMR at 1.780%. That's the lowest daily total since 15th June, 2020. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 164M, the last 1M in 2days;
Global deaths pass 3.4, the last 50k in 4 days;
Asia passes 47M cases;
India passes 25M cases;
US deaths pass 600k;

Suriname (157);
Taiwan (335);
French Guyana (380); and
Thailand (9,635)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Latvia, Madagascar and Iraq drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #10723
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Another reason not to fly Virgin...

Virgin CEO Jayne Hrdlicka warns Australia 'can't keep COVID out forever' and needs to consider plan to reopen borders

Quote:
Ms Hrdlicka argued that Australia needed to discuss opening the borders as the vaccine rollout ramped up, according to the university's media unit.

"We can't keep [COVID] out forever," she reportedly said.

"It will make us sick but won't put us into hospital. Some people may die but it will be way smaller than the flu."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...aths/100144956
Old 18-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #10724
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Another reason not to fly Virgin...

Virgin CEO Jayne Hrdlicka warns Australia 'can't keep COVID out forever' and needs to consider plan to reopen borders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...aths/100144956
Mr GS,
I know we have differing opinions on this but how is what she said wrong.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...%20influenza~5

Quote:
In 2017 there were 1,255 deaths due to influenza, recording a standardised death rate of 3.9 per 100,000 persons. This is a significant increase from 2016 where 464 influenza deaths were recorded. An individual dying from influenza in 2017 was most likely to be female, aged over 75 years, have multiple co-morbidities and living in the eastern states of Australia.
That was a bad year, look at the previous year of 464 though. We are prepared to accept that many deaths from Flu are normal but to say someone may die of COVID in the future years is unacceptable.

It's here to stay and we need to accept that as mean as it sounds.

Make the vaccine available to all. Give them 6 months to get it provided we can roll it out. Then start opening up. By June 2022 anyone that doesn't have the vaccine obviously doesn't want it and they can live with their decision.

The trouble we have now is we are nice and comfy with the borders closed burning though government money to prop things up. Nothing like a deadline to focus the attention.

We also have 12 months of observing how this is going in the rest of the world. But to not have any targets for opening up is strange to me.
Old 18-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #10725
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Mr GS,
I know we have differing opinions on this but how is what she said wrong.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...%20influenza~5

That was a bad year, look at the previous year of 464 though. We are prepared to accept that many deaths from Flu are normal but to say someone may die of COVID in the future years is unacceptable.

It's here to stay and we need to accept that as mean as it sounds.

Make the vaccine available to all. Give them 6 months to get it provided we can roll it out. Then start opening up. By June 2022 anyone that doesn't have the vaccine obviously doesn't want it and they can live with their decision.

The trouble we have now is we are nice and comfy with the borders closed burning though government money to prop things up. Nothing like a deadline to focus the attention.

We also have 12 months of observing how this is going in the rest of the world. But to not have any targets for opening up is strange to me.
Dear Mr S123, factually she's correct, I wasn't objecting on that count. Rather it was the nonchalant way in which she kicked lives to the kerb because her airline can't fly. There's refreshing honesty then there is just being a heartless moron.

Anyway, Virgin shouldn't exist - it's cleaned shareholders, consumers, employees and creditors out enough.

Regards
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #10726
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and yet in this aspect of airlines she cant hold a candle to qantas ceo joyce and his want for borders open

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 18-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #10727
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny, I didn't hear the same backlash for the idiots asking restrictions and borders to lift during Victoria's outbreak. When it comes down to it, its the same .... different smell. "People need to die for the economy".

Agree on the vaccine front. No more announcements, no more promises, JFDI! If new variants come, deal with it, like we do with the annual flu shot.

Come to think of it, of the countries that have successfully rolled out vaccines, are any of those still experiencing mass ICUs and deaths? UK is going to be a really good test case I feel.
Old 18-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #10728
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Funny, I didn't hear the same backlash for the idiots asking restrictions and borders to lift during Victoria's outbreak. When it comes down to it, its the same .... different smell. "People need to die for the economy".

Agree on the vaccine front. No more announcements, no more promises, JFDI! If new variants come, deal with it, like we do with the annual flu shot.

Come to think of it, of the countries that have successfully rolled out vaccines, are any of those still experiencing mass ICUs and deaths? UK is going to be a really good test case I feel.
Here is a stupid/trivial comparison.

We accept that driving cars will result in hundreds of deaths in Australia every year. We are ok with that. If we walked instead we could save hundreds of lives. Should we walk and take the train/bus? Of course we don't. We like cars and it is convenient.

If we have 80% of the population vaccinated, what is next? Keep the borders closed and say that any death is unacceptable? Is it 1, 10, 100 that is acceptable?

She didn't say it well, but what she said is true. CV is here to stay. Some people will get it if we open the borders up. At some stage we have to do that, we cannot go on forever like this. And I may be wrong but I am worried we as a country will be left behind very quickly as the rest of the world gets on with things.

And she may be selfish from a business perspective, but who isn't.
Old 18-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #10729
tweeked
N/A all the way

You can't remove all risk, otherwise four wheel drives with lift kits and bullbars would need to be banned. All speed limits brought down to 40.....everywhere. No alcohol, at all. Peanuts, banned. All of these will save bystanders by the hundreds every year.

So we will save way more than opening the borders once the we vaccinate the vulnerable plus 80 odd percent of the rest of us will kill. Why don't we do that now? Because who wants to live in a world without the things that make it interesting, and also that gives us jobs.

Yes, she said it in a way that everyone was going to jump on her. I for one don't think that was accidental, she wanted the headline to start the conversation. She just stated the obvious.

2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #10730
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

She didn't say it well, but what she said is true. CV is here to stay. Some people will get it if we open the borders up. At some stage we have to do that, we cannot go on forever like this. And I may be wrong but I am worried we as a country will be left behind very quickly as the rest of the world gets on with things.

And she may be selfish from a business perspective, but who isn't.
I actually agree. What she said now actually has a bit more merit than what was said back 8 months ago. We actually have a way out now, there is light. But quite often it's not what you say it's how you say it.

I think once we hit a vaccination target we'll need to open up.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #10731
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Oh yes, can’t wait for meth-headed nuffies to start falling off their scooters in Bali, then wanting bazillions via crowdfunding for urgent treatment, once again. It’s been nicer whilst they’ve remained nearquits.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #10732
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other thing we need is this thing called a "road map" out. Remember that?! I thought that was one of the very few sensible things being screamed for during Vic's lock down. One was produced, it was followed, and we got to the other side with everyone understanding what the "rules" were.

I think it would be wise for the feds to draw one up. But then it might commit them to a target Not ideal when election is just around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Hmmm... I'm trying to recall who you could be referring to?
I don't want to be seen to be negative, so no comment.

Last edited by T3rminator; 18-05-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 18-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #10733
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

NSW 9 million vaccines away from considering open borders: GSS Premier

Quote:
Premier Gladys Berejiklian says NSW will need to administer another 9 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to consider reopening international borders, as the state’s mass vaccination centre starts inoculating people in their 40s.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...17-p57sku.html
Old 18-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #10734
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
NSW 9 million vaccines away from considering open borders: GSS Premier

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...17-p57sku.html
What's the population of NSW?
Old 18-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #10735
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
A bit over 8 million, and everyone needs two jabs to be vaccinated.
Old 18-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #10736
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
About 8.5m I think.

EDIT:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+i...ANNTA1&PC=DCTS
Old 18-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #10737
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
A bit over 8 million, and everyone needs two jabs to be vaccinated.
So they are saying the need 5m out of 6m adults vaccinated which is above 80%. Not sure if that will happen
Old 18-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #10738
HIPO
Al

Bugger that Ivermectin for me!
Old 18-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #10739
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Qantas: we were right to block passengers

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscribe/news/1/