Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #12001
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

You can interpret that in many ways. No doubt the paper intended one different to mine, which is:

"The UK's high inoculation rate has helped millions start to enjoy a new Covid normal...daily hospitalisations due to Covid were running at 263, up by just 6.4 per cent in the last week."

LOL
Good job Uk, hope you're free to travel unimpeded soon.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #12002
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
There is a growing resentment with the fact we can't go anywhere.

Just wait a few more months to when we see all our international friends and family posting their first 'Post Covid' holidays to different countries.

Only now are we starting to get talk of targets, concessions for the vaccinated and news articles actively promoting the jab and explaining where to get it sooner.

All of a sudden banned medical centres are being given permission to deliver vaccinations. I can now book online simply and easily. AZ is now fine for anyone who wants it.

Where was this months ago when things were going so great for us?

The tide is turning. Big business is hurting and we don't have the hundreds of thousands of foreigners here to fill the jobs we can't be bothered getting out of bed for.

I guess I am a bit pessimistic perhaps but I would like what you wrote to be the case.

Covid has personally cost me 40-50k in lost income... i didnt lose money like some who had expenses and not much coming in, so didnt go backwards, but wouldve had that amount more. Not a life changing number but wouldve been good to have it.

Everything from local/state border restrictions, worker shortages, and not being able to go abroad, contributed to it... im not on the side of staying closed for much longer.

I know a few brits and there were thousands of them on the streets this past weekend, the numbers are debatable but obviously it was a lot, i'll post a link, and they arent restricted as much as us regarding travel but still are beginning to not tolerate that as well as other restrictions.

https://twitter.com/NewtonClarkeUK/s...77488399060992

My point was the politicians here do not seem to be feeling the same amount of pressure and will drag their heels if not pressured. And yes I can see theyve had to address some of the questions theyve been avoiding, perhaps chris kenny of sky helped get the ball rolling with that when he challenged her high priestess of SA, also known as the nutty professor on sky news. (dont touch that ball)

Last edited by lumen8; 02-07-2021 at 03:59 PM. Reason: grama
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #12003
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You mean the idiot that asked her about QLD, WA, other states and international borders and policies?
Why attack her on those matters or phrase the question that includes all of that? Sa isn't even under lockdown, just has precautionary masks and slight limits on numbers.
The guy just has a grudge and took it out on an unrelated, perceived easy target then they laugh about it on sky, like bullies.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #12004
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
You mean the idiot that asked her about QLD, WA, other states and international borders and policies?
Why attack her on those matters or phrase the question that includes all of that? Sa isn't even under lockdown, just has precautionary masks and slight limits on numbers.
The guy just has a grudge and took it out on an unrelated, perceived easy target then they laugh about it on sky, like bullies.
While SA isnt locked down the borders are still closed to many and have been that way on and off for over a year, so it is very disruptive to many people... it would be disruptive to kenny himself even. (so im not suprised he is complaining when it affects him )

I thought the questions about when lockdowns might stop occurring were fair game.

Up until the last few days all we had was an unspoken policy of zero covid (they call it zero community transmission), and little to no discussions about how and when we would come out of constant lock downs.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #12005
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sky News are you guys only just figuring this out now? Did you not watch the daily bashings Vic received for over 100 days straight.....and still going? Whats happening at the pressers now are just child's play.

Yellow_Festiva, yep agree, FOMO. AFF arm chair expert called it from the start, once other major economies open up then vaccination rate will drive our international reopening, not cases (or hospitilisations). Very predictable.

With this "plan", I hope the debate on whether snap lock downs are "right" for the current point in time is settled once and for all. It looks like the Greater Syd lock down may need to be extended. Learn from Vic's mistakes (and success), go hard go fast or you'll be dragging this on. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
I know a few brits and there were thousands of them on the streets this past weekend, the numbers are debatable but obviously it was a lot, i'll post a link, and they arent restricted as much as us regarding travel but still are beginning to not tolerate that as well as other restrictions.....
Yep. Me mates were co-organisers of this "event", live streaming on their FB page. Ridiculously.....fun.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-...rough-20914569

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #12006
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Australians under 40 explain why they have no hesitations getting the AstraZeneca vaccine

Quote:
Younger Australians have received mixed messages since the AstraZeneca vaccine became available to them, but some expats have a simple message for those contemplating the jab.

The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, which has so far only been available to frontline workers and under 40s with special circumstances, is one of the first mRNA vaccines approved for use in humans.

New research indicates rare cases of inflammation could be linked to Pfizer but experts say the risk of these conditions is still far lower than the risks of serious illness or death from contracting COVID-19.

For those who have AstraZeneca, there is a small risk of blood clots, with three in every 100,000 people under 60 at risk of developing thrombosis and thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS).
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...neca/100261124
Old 02-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #12007
slowsnake
Banned

I just spent a few days on my back in hospital, I could move about in bed but not walk about.
They put special pressure stocking on my legs, a pump was connected that was like a continual blood pressure machine, and twice a day an injection into my tummy fat of Heparin?
Ii asked if it was all necessary, they said its to stop blood clots in your legs going to your lungs!

And I thought to myself, this would be a good time for my Covid shot, lol.

Cheers King Billy
Old 02-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #12008
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Anti-vaxxers are reveling in the AstraZeneca rollout confusion

The Queensland government's stoush with Scott Morrison over AstraZeneca has given anti-vaxxers ammunition in their war against public health.

Quote:
On Wednesday the Queensland government led the charge against a late-night announcement by the prime minister which suggested Australians of all ages could access the AstraZeneca vaccine and their doctors would be protected by a federal government indemnity scheme should any side effects occur.

“I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca,” Queensland chief health officer Jeannette Young told a press conference. “I don’t want an 18-year-old in Queensland dying from a clotting illness.”

It was an evocative and direct statement intended to stand up to the federal government, a popular move in Australian politics currently. A slickly produced video clipping up Young’s statements was posted on Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk’s Facebook and Instagram accounts.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/07/01...out-confusion/

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...d-eca03c3046be
Old 02-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #12009
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

How Australia will ditch lockdowns and open borders as vaccination rates rise
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...inet/100262808

No lockdowns...how will Danny dim sim survive?
Old 02-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #12010
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I did my first check in today. I think I ****ed it up though because it does not show in the app history. I'm not sure to be honest because I scanned the QR code and it read it so I thought it was done

These disposable masks suck **** though. Anyone know a good place to get cloth ones? Not CCP **** though. Maybe the Mexicans around here would know
I got these ones, very comfortable.......good conversation starters on the plane, if your up to wearing them that is

https://ntunofficial.com/collections...nt-mask-bundle

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
7 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #12011
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Still got my Motorola brick from 1990 might try QR scanning with it...

Some millenial will no doubt try and install an app on it...
I'm a millennial and remember the brick LG CDMA my family had.

I didn't even own a phone until I went to work and paid for it myself. A Nokia 3310

Apps? What apps?
Old 03-07-2021, 08:15 AM   #12012
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Still got my Motorola brick from 1990 might try QR scanning with it...

Some millenial will no doubt try and install an app on it...
yep my first mobile phone , wired in to my F250
dont know where it ever ended up as i dont remember getting rid of it and i dont still have it

gotta laugh as the kenworth still a similar one full hard wired and when going thru security gate im told i have to scan in and i pass the handset out the window to get a confused look in return

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
5 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #12013
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 2nd, 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

42 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 2.966%.

No cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.948% and active cases 31.

The UK had a lower 26,706 cases yesterday and higher 27 deaths.

A higher 17,153 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 237 deaths sees CMR at 1.796%.

Other notable points:
Africa set a new daily case high of 43,076;
Asia passes 56M cases;

Zimbabwe (1,442_ - the previous high on 5/1/21;
Cuba (3,308);
Thailand (6,087);South Africa (24,270) - the previous high on 8/1/21; and
Indonesia (25,830)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

The Dominican Republic and South Korea move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #12014
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
How Australia will ditch lockdowns and open borders as vaccination rates rise
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...inet/100262808

No lockdowns...how will Danny dim sim survive?

Oh my.....is there a new standard running national cabinet? Got his way. This should hopefully put pressure on the feds to approve genuine returnees only, and to cull the non citizen and PR exemptions.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews to argue reduced international arrivals will prevent future lockdowns at national cabinet
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...65c767ddb0e136

Quote:
“Locking some people out is much better than locking everybody down. That‘s the government’s position, that’s my position and that’s what I’ll argue at national cabinet today.”

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #12015
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Covidlive data indicating QLD has 45 active cases and 45 hospitalisations, of which 1 is in ICU. Surely that's not right? Are they moving all positive cases to hospitals?

NSW has 303 active with 21 in hospital, of which 5 are in ICU.

These seems like high percentage of hospitilisations to cases. What are the age of the people in ICU?

Rides (past and present)

Old 03-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #12016
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I thought Queensland was initially hospitalising all cases as a precaution.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #12017
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Also, sadly only a NSW benefit but the ABC has a nicely formatted table of NSW exposure locations that can be sorted in various ways - alphabetically, date, or plain searched. It’s better than the raw information on the NSW Health website yet refreshed hourly by data from there. I check it before heading out.

To comment on compliance with Greater Sydney restrictions, what I see is mostly BAU plus masks and theatre but others have apparently seen more overt police interest in who’s doing what, and why. Shops are a little quieter in the evenings but that’s about all.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:05 AM   #12018
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Thankfully, Anthony Mundine has come out with more words of wisdom...... As Anthony does...............

https://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing...06ecc392c4dbca
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #12019
Trevor 57
is now there

see on this morning news that a lot of Sydneysiders are happy for the lock-down to continue . . . . . . . . . . they must, coz they are ignoring the rules
Old 04-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #12020
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Thankfully, Anthony Mundine has come out with more words of wisdom...... As Anthony does...............

A great Australian and a great Ambassador for his people......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #12021
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
see on this morning news that a lot of Sydneysiders are happy for the lock-down to continue . . . . . . . . . . they must, coz they are ignoring the rules
Really?? Slept in so didn't catch the morning bulletin.

Only Sydneysiders happy for this to continue are the ones with no kids who have a sit down office style job easily able to be done from home.

A parent with 2 or 3 school aged kids will be quite unhappy... no word yet on if schools are opening.

Thank God I'm no longer teaching full time, the new place I've moved into only has decent reception on the balcony... would make for some interesting zoom calls..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 04-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #12022
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs

The guy is a conundrum - I have genuine respect for his abilities and commitment to indigenous causes but he also says some silly stuff.

Quote:
Lockdown? Was there a lockdown on? Let me check when we get back from lunch
5 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #12023
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
A great Australian and a great Ambassador for his people......
No,no,no, his Father was the "Great Australian"....the "Great Ambassador"..
And Great Fathers do not necessarily have "Great Sons"
This is my personal opinion only, just like yours!

I met the father Tony at the Australian Hotel in Redfern in maybe 1970, I was 17 years old, straight off the boat from the UK, he was the most humble and quiet man I have ever met, there was no "mouth" non of his sons antics, Anthony Mundine is a big gob with arms and legs, he is not his father and shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph or sentence as the brilliant boxer and sportsman Tony Mundine!

Cheers King Billy
Old 04-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #12024
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Oh my.....is there a new standard running national cabinet? Got his way. This should hopefully put pressure on the feds to approve genuine returnees only, and to cull the non citizen and PR exemptions.

[/url]

Indian delta variant of Covid comes in via India.
Reduce travellers from india reduce infections. from India.

It's a really easy fix.

yeah yeah all those with indian girlfriends will say its racist...yawn

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #12025
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
No,no,no, his Father was the "Great Australian"....the "Great Ambassador"..
And Great Fathers do not necessarily have "Great Sons"
This is my personal opinion only, just like yours!

I met the father Tony at the Australian Hotel in Redfern in maybe 1970, I was 17 years old, straight off the boat from the UK, he was the most humble and quiet man I have ever met, there was no "mouth" non of his sons antics, Anthony Mundine is a big gob with arms and legs, he is not his father and shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph or sentence as the brilliant boxer and sportsman Tony Mundine!

Cheers King Billy
It was not opinion, mine or otherwise, it was sarcasm....

5 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #12026
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 3rd, 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

50 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 2.961%.

No cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.948% and active cases 31.

The UK had a lower 24,447 cases yesterday and lower 18 deaths.

A higher 18,584 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 592 deaths sees CMR at 1.796%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 184M, the last 1M in 2 days;

Honduras (1,798);
Cuba (3,475);
Thailand
(6,230);
South Africa (26,485); and
Indonesia
(27,913)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Russia moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #12027
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post

That Fwit has had too many punches to the head. He likes stirring S***
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #12028
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good to hear the good people of regional NSW enforcing their own GTFO order though.

Quote:
Indian delta variant of Covid comes in via India.
Reduce travellers from india reduce infections. from India.

It's a really easy fix.

yeah yeah all those with indian girlfriends will say its racist...yawn
Not racist, but needs a fact check. Can delta infect non indians and/or come through destinations other than India? Please confirm.

Rides (past and present)

3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #12029
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Good to hear the good people of regional NSW enforcing their own GTFO order though.
Loved the story last week from Denman dobbing in the Paddo horsey people off to the pony club.
We were like that here with Melbournites a little while ago.

3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #12030
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not racist, but needs a fact check. Can delta infect non indians and/or come through destinations other than India? Please confirm.
The Delta variant was first detected in India but is not exclusive to infecting Indians, it's highly contagious to any race and has already spread to other countries, it's already working it's way through Europe and N America to name a couple of areas....

So in answer to your question of whether it can come to Aus through countries other than India then the answer is yes....

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/whi...nt-2021-07-01/

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread