Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
rjxref
Starter Motor

Unhappy 2013 LW Focus Ambiente - Knocking Sound On Sharp Left Turns

Can anybody help me, im getting disappointed with the Knocking Sound on my 2013 LW Focus MKII Ambiente Auto 1.6L during a sharp left turn or reverse and low speed. The car has already clocked +/- 63,000kms.

The sound is so noisy just like when you are shaking a spray paint rapidly, this happens mostly when going down the basement ramp and steering in a left direction where the weight of the car is mostly concentrated towards the front.

The only cosmetic change i did on the exterior was the 4 16" rims to 17" rims and kept the overall diameter of the wheel the same.

The problem surfaced after we made a family holiday trip from canberra to brisbane then back to canberra. Eversince that trip the annoying sound did not go off and is becoming louder. I never found the culprit of this problem.

These are the changes I made in the car's front since the problem surfaced:
1. Strut mounts left and right (ford)
2. Strut mount bearings left and right. (Ford)
3. Sway link bars left and right. (Northlane)
4. Changed stock cv joints to GSP aftermarket cv joints left and right.
5. Brought the car to ford for the transmission extended warranty shuddering repair
6. Replaced all 3 engine mounts. (Aftermarket, Hardrace)
7. Replaced lower arm assembly left and right. (Aftermarket, Hardrace)
6. Changed Aftermarket Cv Joints back to Ford original part left and Right.

Still the annoying knocking sound keeps on coming back on the same maneauvers of making sharp left turns and going down the ramp. I don't know what to change already. Could somebody help me out? Thanks!

Rj

Last edited by rjxref; 06-07-2020 at 09:25 PM.
rjxref is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: 2013 LW Focus Ambiente - Knocking Sound On Sharp Left Turns

Unlikely but there's the old floor mat pushed too far forward so it rubs on one of the bolts on the lower steering shaft causing a clicking/popping sound per https://www.focusst.org/threads/knoc...turning.39729/
Old 06-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
rjxref
Starter Motor

Thanks. I'll give it a check.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:12 PM   #4
rjxref
Starter Motor

By the way... this is the sound that I was talking about. Kindly check on this link:

https://app.box.com/s/korvmtuokt25ogqb31ab08kucdtonkqu
Old 06-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
By the way... this is the sound that I was talking about. Kindly check on this link:

Gee that is bad. But at this point I have no ideas on the cause given you seemingly have replaced most likely suspects already.Have you checked the front wheel bearings?
Old 06-07-2020, 11:51 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Not a rear wheel bearing like this is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOoEsxhI3_I Certainly sound like it.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
rjxref
Starter Motor

Wasn't able to check it yet. I doubt it if this is the one because the sound comes out only on slow sharp turns not on high speed. But I will stilll check ot though.

Last edited by rjxref; 07-07-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
rjxref
Starter Motor

Hey again guys.

Just got a tip from a friend i really don't know if this applies, but does anybody here have any experience on thrust washers added to the axle assembly for the 2013 focus? The one that is mentioned on the video below is a 2013 explorer and a 2013 fusion that got affected. It really has the exact same annoying noise on my car.

https://www.fordforumsonline.com/thr...ing-fix.11953/
Old 10-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #9
rjxref
Starter Motor

Hi guys finally solved the problem. The mechanic found the knocking sound coming from the wheel lugnuts. It was already bad. I changed to a fresh set, then it was ok.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a similar experience except it was the spring clip in the ford plastic hub centers in the mag wheel. rattled only some times.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post