Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What to replace my falcon with

So here's the backstory.
We sold my wife's A1 (great city car) and bought a 90 series prado so we can start camping and exploring the area we live in. Any place we could take a regular car we've already done. Of course it's a bit older than we wanted, but the price of hatchbacks didn't double like 4wd prices.

I'm driving my 2009 G6E, which is about to hit 420k on the odometer. It's been great, but we're thinking salary sacrifice soon for something a bit newer.

I figure once production of new cars catches up with demand and travel opens up again, there should be a flood of second hand 4wds on the market and I could pick up a decent ute, or even a much newer prado.

Meanwhile, the wife argues we have a 4wd, we should get something that's a nice highway cruiser. Another sedan. Something with plenty of power. (And also easy on the fuel... unlike our prado)

It's nearly 200km to the next town, close to 1500km to Brisbane where we have friends and family (and driving is cheaper than the $500 each way flights) so the G6E has been brilliant for those trips. Mind you, after 400k kms the driver's seat is not so comfortable.

I figure the barra is what makes it a great cruiser. Put on cruise control and it's well under 2k revs at highway speeds, with plenty of power to blow past road trains and caravans.

I'm thinking no more than 25k for the next car, so an fg-x or a titanium territory is within the realms of possibility. I like the idea of a terri, basically the falcon with more clearance and the possibility to add a bullbar. So better on the dirt roads my falcon has had trouble with, although the wife isn't convinced they're much chop for highway cruising (i explained it's exactly what they were designed for, but she's set on a sedan. I think she wants a fast car but won't say that)

Are there other options? Everything seems to be little 2l turbo engines. Quick and efficient around town. Does anyone make a big lazy engine for eating up the miles?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What to replace my falcon with

2L turbos will happily eat up the kilometres. Turbos make them feel like big lazy engines with a heap of torque right down low in the rpm range.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

I replaced my falcon with a MD mondeo wagon 2.0 ecoboost, after so many years of owning falcons, i can honestly say the mondeo kills all of them in terms of day to day living, maybe look into them.
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
prydey
Rob

Similar to above, I bought my territory after having owned a long line of falcons. I was worried I would miss my fg xr6 when I traded it on the Territory. By the time I got home from the car yard I wished I'd bought a Territory years earlier. No falcon comes close to it for long distance comfort. My folks live in Brisbane so I've done Adel to bris more times than most people have had hot dinners. It just eats up the km and I get out feeling so much fresher than with my fg.

I would highly recommend taking a SZ Territory for a drive. Even the diesels get along ok for what they are.
Old 26-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
So here's the backstory.
So better on the dirt roads my falcon has had trouble with, although the wife isn't convinced they're much chop for highway cruising (i explained it's exactly what they were designed for, but she's set on a sedan. I think she wants a fast car but won't say that)
I have had a SY AWD petrol, a SZ RWD diesel, and a G6E.

The Territory is a magic highway vehicle. It is way better than the G6E for ride and comfort, particularly on the highway. Plus, it has the benefit of more cargo carrying capacity. The Territory is a friendly car for the female drivers; with seating, steering, and general driving position much more adjustable.

The best fuel economy I got out of the AWD petrol was 10.9l (fully loaded with four pax + payload crap that only teenage daughters feel is necessary). The RWD diesel was around 7-8l/100km on the highway. The G6E returned low 7l/100km on the highway.

I have had the SY AWD on dirt roads (including bulldust) and in the snow. It is capable on loose surfaces. I was never game enough to take it into thick mud. Its biggest issues over a true 4WD is lack of ground clearance, non-lockable differential, and tyres biased for road use.

A Titanium Territory suggests your options are restricted to petrol RWD, diesel RWD, or diesel AWD. If you are away from sealed roads, that probably restricts the list to the diesel AWD.

My experience is that the diesel had annoying turbo lag around town, particularly with extended city driving. It was one of those cars that needed a blast down the highway every now an again. On the highway, as the turbo was on song, the diesel was fine.

One issue with Territory (and to a lesser extent the Falcon) will be the suspension and differential bushes and shock absorbers. These are a consumable item (like brake pads). Depending on kilometres driven, I would budget for a complete set (this will then see out the life of the car).

As for other options, Ford Ranger / Mazda BT50 is OK on the highway. I haven't driven one for an extend period, but a friend who does a lot of caravan towing with her Ranger is very happy with it on the highway. Also comes with 4WD options and is capable off road.

From the hints in your post, I would assume that fitting a bull bar would be a consideration?
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
hayseed

Quote:
she's set on a sedan. I think she wants a fast car but won't say that)
Happy Wife,= Happy Life....!

just saying..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you don't mind a diesel, something like this Mazda6 turbo diesel?
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19738460/?Cr=7
Old 26-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get a low km Mondeo or ZB commodore for bugger all. but for highways & country roads the Territory gobbles up Kilometers. you'll know once you have driven one on a long trip.

PS Price range helps
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #9
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of replies, thanks!

I mentioned price range, but looking back I also wrote a bit of an essay. Aiming for about 25k.

I was thinking titanium terri for the fruit, but I haven't looked into what they have over the lower spec models.

Was just thinking about mondeos this morning. Couple years ago we checked out some new cars, and we both liked the mondeo, and a wagon might be useful.

I like the option of a bullbar due to where we live. I've already collected a roo on the way to work in my falcon, and my photography hobby gets me out driving at night.
Old 26-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
minheim

MD mondeo with ecoboost would be my pick as it has a conventional torque auto. Only issue is that the majority of mondeos (particularly wagons) are diesel with DCT autos. While the wet DCT seems fairly reliable and the diesel will be more economical, I'd prefer the ecoboost and torque auto.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lots of replies, thanks!

I mentioned price range, but looking back I also wrote a bit of an essay. Aiming for about 25k.

I was thinking titanium terri for the fruit, but I haven't looked into what they have over the lower spec models.

youve probably never considered it but for 25K Id look at something like this
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19680585/?Cr=3
Old 26-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Lots of replies, thanks!

Was just thinking about mondeos this morning. Couple years ago we checked out some new cars, and we both liked the mondeo, and a wagon might be useful.
Don't rule put the Mondeo sedan (hatch actually), they have a surprising amount of room in the boot.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #13
gkhn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: How to change Ford FG upper control arm bushes + Home made pressing tool 

I see nothing but problems with that 14 years old BMW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
youve probably never considered it but for 25K Id look at something like this
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19680585/?Cr=3
gkhn is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I'm very much not a SUV guy, but having driven a few Territory's I can see why they sold so well. They are just so plush and comfortable.

This Titanium with the 4.0 would be ideal.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19669084/?Cr=4

Having said that, $25k buys just a bit more Falcon than Territory.

These low km G6E's look great for that money.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19291119/?Cr=2
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19476839/?Cr=3
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #15
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've rented a few Territories on some of my previous trips East and driven them from Sydney to Melbourne via the coastal highway and also the inland highway and I'd have to say they are an awesome cruiser and that small increase in driver height is a huge plus.

If I didn't require a ute for my purposes there would definitely be one in the garage. I tried so hard to convince the boss she needed a Terri but sadly I failed as she just wanted a simple yellow fuel efficient roustabout.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 10:34 PM   #16
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
MD mondeo with ecoboost would be my pick as it has a conventional torque auto. Only issue is that the majority of mondeos (particularly wagons) are diesel with DCT autos. While the wet DCT seems fairly reliable and the diesel will be more economical, I'd prefer the ecoboost and torque auto.
Nothing wrong with the diesel DCT mondeo's I sold mine (MC) at circa 194,000 km. Great car.

Side stepped into a falcon due known durability and (much) cheaper servicing.
I was worried about durability and replacement cost of diesel DCT parts past 200k km. Hadn't heard to many stories of people exceeding those km at the time of decision making

The Falcon also has a smart bar, (had one on my v8 RTV) and highly recommend them (for the smaller stuff). Had a steel bar on my ranger and that got me home after an encounter with a 6 ft red, but needed a panel beater.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhn View Post
I see nothing but problems with that 14 years old BMW...
What Problems do you see Oracle?

or was it because your AU Driving uncle told you BMWs were problematic
Old 27-04-2021, 10:45 PM   #18
Swordie

Other options - Toyota Kluger and VF Calais six.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
What Problems do you see Oracle?
Any of the 5 that liked the post feel free to chirp in, I'm keen to hear about these problems?

Its a lot of car for $25K even if it is 14 years old, reliable powerful diesel with ZF trans that's very good on fuel.

definitely should be crossed shopped with a SZ Territory
Old 28-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #20
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep looking at an X5 to replace the F6 as our daily, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a one incase it started to break
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #21
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
The calais 6 option might be worth a look as the resale on them should be good for a while and it would be a comfortable cruiser. However I'd still favour a mondeo.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Not unless you want to keep fixing stretched timing chains. The GM V6 is notorious for it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP currently has a 2009 G6E, which is about to hit 420k.
one of the last G6E FG X would fall into his budget.

they seem better value than the VF Calais.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #24
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm leaning towards SUV for the ground clearance. Not 4wding, just there's a lot of dirt roads, and I think I mentioned I got a hole in my muffler from that. I love the look of the FGX, and it's on the cards (but then I'd want a turbo).

An X5 older than my G6E is not on the cards. I'm sure it's lovely, but we're aiming to get something a lot newer, not older.

At this point probably Territory or Mondeo. The Mazdas are nice enough, but i'm not a huge fan of them.

I think when I get the chance I'll have to take an FGX (maybe consider an ecoboost?), Territory and Mondeo for a drive.

I think there's things I like about each, it'd come down to what's the most comfortable and which I enjoy driving the most.
6 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2023, 02:30 PM   #25
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zombie thread! Well, an update. It finally happened.
The G6e with around 500,000kms has finally gone to the trade-in land in the sky.
It had developed a few issues, and the wife (who has been driving it) wasn't comfortable driving it back to Winton from Brisbane. We were quoted around 5k for all the repairs (suspension, main seal, drive shaft bearing, engine mount, rocker cover leak, new seat belts and other odds and ends)

In the end we had a 10k budget, and while I shopped online my wife visited the cars.

We ended up with a 2016 diesel ambiente mondeo.

It is really nice to drive, and she used a fraction of the fuel she would have driving out here.

It feels like driving a spaceship. A Trend or Titanium would have been nice, but this has all the tech we need.

I just wish I could figure out how to turn off the door chimes!
Old 14-12-2023, 12:13 PM   #26
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats, cant go wrong with a diesel Mondeo with the rural setting your in, lots of miles with great economy and all that torque....

As for the G6E... Half a million KM, a life well lived and a testament to the 4 litre....

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2023, 01:10 PM   #27
Honest Gaza

Quote:
I think she wants a fast car but won't say that)
She'll get over that. We replaced out FPV-GT with an Everest...and the Wife is loving it.
Honest Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post