Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #61
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I think making the Stinger a sedan only was a bad move.

Coupe and wagon should have been built as well. (one for looks, one for versatility with the sedan in the middle)
The Stinger is actually a Liftback rather than a sedan. I test drove one (GT Spec) when they first came out and thought it was a great car.. More of a G6ET/Calais V replacement then XR8/SS but a great first effort...

As for OP... I would definitely buy one for the wife though if they had something she liked. Kia and Hyundai have come a LONG since the bad old days of the $13990 Excel Sprint that fell apart after a week... We are about to buy wifey a MY20 Santa Fe Highlander (once she makes her damn mind up on a colour) so ive spend some time driving/looking over/etc them and came away properly impressed with the Build Quality, Equipment level and how it drove for the $$$.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #62
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm looking for a low k daily atm.
Not many low k Stingers under $40K sadly for i'd probably get one.
i30N performance coupe I took for a test drive, wow what a rippa little machine.
Quality was great imo, looked at a low k Golf R, bang for buck the i30N kills it, its just getting over the badge to many and I am having trouble as well.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #63
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it a little bit strange that a lot of people these forums will happily jump into Thai built vehicles,but seem apprehensive about Koreans.From what I have seen the Koreans seem to be as good if not better than the Thai,s
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #64
UTXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I find it a little bit strange that a lot of people these forums will happily jump into Thai built vehicles,but seem apprehensive about Koreans.From what I have seen the Koreans seem to be as good if not better than the Thai,s

I have a 2014 ssangyng actyon sports,....made in korea...2lt turbo diesel....6 speed auto...177000 klm....does 1000 klm to a tank and is on coil suspension....ripper dual cab...great bang for buck and easily matches most sub 40k utes...
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #65
BAWITHLOT
XB COUPE TOO!

Quote:
As per thread title it's about KIA.

Personally I like the Stinger but generally no interest whatsoever.

The brand is growing quickly here as apparently well built, reliable, and importantly excellent warranty.

Despite this I still don't want a KIA.

Thoughts?
I've bought 3 now over the last 3 years!

They are all Picantos and traded up the TA for a JA GT Line that has way more technology for the wife. She loves it and I even liked it so much that I bought the Turbo GT version.

Never used to like small cars, but with these things you can drive them everyday and get the big car out on nice sunny days.

The GT 74kW/ 171Nm is a hoot as you can drive it on the limit and if super keen, a Chip is available for 98kW/ 227Nm. However this thing spins the wheels stock and 4.8L/100!!!!

BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #66
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I still really like the look of the Stinger, be nice if they did a "R Spec" with a manual.

Otherwise the rest of the range is fine, that mammoth SUV thats not coming here but recently released int he US looks pretty bloody good.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 07:56 AM   #67
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I think it is more important who owns the company & designs the car, rather than where they are built.

Not too many Thai-owned car companies.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #68
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I think it is more important who owns the company & designs the car, rather than where they are built.

Not too many Thai-owned car companies.

Dr Terry
Not just that, how long in the market have those names been around.
Ford/Toyota/Nissan for eg, made in Thailand run by these companies no
big deal tassief100.

I have no bone with Hyundai/KIA - they have earned their stripes in the global market - not a new branding anymore but they are compared to the above.
Its just human habits I'm guilty of, how many of us keep buying certain Aussie supermarket brands not even Aussie owned anymore for eg.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #69
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I still really like the look of the Stinger, be nice if they did a "R Spec" with a manual.

Otherwise the rest of the range is fine, that mammoth SUV thats not coming here but recently released int he US looks pretty bloody good.
Telluride got North America COTY.

Often they have a waiting list apparently - not a bad situation to be in.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #70
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
i30N performance coupe I took for a test drive, wow what a rippa little machine.
Quality was great imo, looked at a low k Golf R, bang for buck the i30N kills it, its just getting over the badge to many and I am having trouble as well.
I know someone who tunes the i30N's and is able to get a very decent amount of power out of those that seems a tad irresponsible. haha

I would definitely consider one if I can convince the mrs she needs it

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 09-06-2020 at 11:42 AM.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #71
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Ford fans and KIA detractors seem to forget that the Ford Festiva was a KIA.
No, the Ford Festiva was a re-badged Mazda, build under licence by Kia.

Korean cars, when they first arrived, were rubbish.
In the case of Daewoo, just utter junk on wheels.
Fortunately they, like the Japanese before them, have improved over time.

If you consider that many "Japanese" models are now built in Thailand, the reality is that Korean build quality is equal to, or maybe even better.

From what I have seen, their engines don't age well. But that's from the Australian perspective of expecting our engines to do 300kk without missing a beat. For your average person, doing 10~15kk a year, they're fine.
They're also NOT that well suited to "Stralian Conditions", but if you consider the overall improvement in our roads, such conditions exist only in legend, and in the genuine outback.

We used a Kia Grand Carnival as the family bus for a while, and I was unimpressed with it as a CAR. But as a people mover, it did the job admirably, with plenty of space.

One thing to remember is that for some of the models, the Kia is a down-specced or obsolete Hyundai, and I have noticed that as a consequence the interiors particular are not as good.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #72
stig_3754

Quote:
Trust me, as an i30 N owner myself you will get past the badge in no time. You won't be disappointed.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #73
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Exactly why I created the OP.

I know a couple of people who genuinely wanted to buy the i30N. (I haven't driven one but as you say apparently very impressive)

Neither bought it purely because of the badge.

Not saying that is right, just how their decision making ended up.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #74
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Exactly why I created the OP.

I know a couple of people who genuinely wanted to buy the i30N. (I haven't driven one but as you say apparently very impressive)

Neither bought it purely because of the badge.

Not saying that is right, just how their decision making ended up.
The bloke I know who does tuning as a living that has an i30N and it now pulls 270kw at the front wheels running 98. Dyno proven. (I dont have the dyno sheet). He took me for a drive in it about a year ago on a lesser tune for daily street driving (about 220atw) and it hauled a55 like nobodies business with no torque steer or wheel spin. I was honestly surprised and impressed. Hes a dude that weight over 100kg too and the car pulled like a train with just him and me in it.

The fact that you can customized the suspension tune dampers and other facets of the cars suspension as part of the OEM setup is also a bonus in these things. He says its one of the best BFYB cars he has ever bought.

Dont ask me if warranty on the tune was ever an issue. I dont know honestly know, but he has the ability to tune anything and I have yet to see im break anything.

I know my mrs wouldnt be interested in the i30N mainly due to it being manual which she will refuse to drive. But I am trying to get her to come around to the idea of an i30 N Line which is the milder version (little brother) of the i30N and available in auto DCT as a daily. 1.6L mind you but probably just as fun to drive.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #75
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
The bloke I know who does tuning as a living that has an i30N and it now pulls 270kw at the front wheels running 98. Dyno proven. (I dont have the dyno sheet). He took me for a drive in it about a year ago on a lesser tune for daily street driving (about 220atw) and it hauled a55 like nobodies business with no torque steer or wheel spin. I was honestly surprised and impressed. Hes a dude that weight over 100kg too and the car pulled like a train with just him and me in it.

The fact that you can customized the suspension tune dampers and other facets of the cars suspension as part of the OEM setup is also a bonus in these things. He says its one of the best BFYB cars he has ever bought.

Dont ask me if warranty on the tune was ever an issue. I dont know honestly know, but he has the ability to tune anything and I have yet to see im break anything.

I know my mrs wouldnt be interested in the i30N mainly due to it being manual which she will refuse to drive. But I am trying to get her to come around to the idea of an i30 N Line which is the milder version (little brother) of the i30N and available in auto DCT as a daily. 1.6L mind you but probably just as fun to drive.
Nothing beats the i30 N for bang for your buck IMO. I don't remember the actual number but there's meant to be something like over 1000 different combinations of driving options to pick from, though I always have everything in loud mode except for the suspension most of the time. The upcoming facelift is meant to have the DCT available as an option so there may be hope for your missus yet.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #76
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

We had an older Kia Cerato for a while and it developed a lot of problems, never buying again. Maybe things have changed with 2020 models:

- Stereo screen died, stopped working completely intermittently, CD skipped a lot.
- Power antenna wouldn't go down properly.
- Power steering rack needed replacement.
- Belts kept starting to squeal no matter how many times it got adjusted and replaced.
- Rear suspension noisy.
- Engine developed clattering sound.
- Radiator cracked.
- Speedo intermittently stopped working.

There were one or two more things but I can't remember them.
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #77
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
Nothing beats the i30 N for bang for your buck IMO. I don't remember the actual number but there's meant to be something like over 1000 different combinations of driving options to pick from, though I always have everything in loud mode except for the suspension most of the time. The upcoming facelift is meant to have the DCT available as an option so there may be hope for your missus yet.
Oh I am hoping!

Would be nice. I really like the Golf, but she hates the LHS indicators the euros all have, so has written them off as an option. :rolleyes

So the I30N (DCT) or N Line (DCT) is something I'll try and persuade her to look into as Id like something fun to hop into on the weekend for a burn in the twistys. Kind of gives me a semi-weekend car without it being a dedicated weekender. If that makes sense.

Overall, they are an under rated car. But I know many of my friends who are hell bent on the badge hang up. As soon as you mention the Hyundai or Kia names, they screw their noses up at it and rubbish it without them ever stepping foot into one.

I find the psychology behind it interesting. Like it must affect their fragile masculinity to think of 'lowering' themselves to drive such a lowly, meager vehicle.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 09-06-2020 at 04:55 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #78
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
We had an older Kia Cerato for a while and it developed a lot of problems, never buying again. Maybe things have changed with 2020 models:

- Stereo screen died, stopped working completely intermittently, CD skipped a lot.
- Belts kept starting to squeal no matter how many times it got adjusted and replaced.
- Rear suspension noisy.
- Radiator cracked.

Im by far a fan boy of Kia's or Hyundais but I know the early models were pretty average at best. Pretty much where Daewoo were when they first set foot on Australian soil. But having driven a few Hyundais and Kia's over the years of late and being in newer ones now, I can say they have come in leaps and bounds since then. Again, the 7yr warranty is a very hard proposition to pass up too now.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #79
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Our daughters 2012 Rio 1.6Si hatch has been faultless for the 3 years we’ve owned it, and the previous 5 years that Mother-in-law had it too (she bought it new)

Its had a hard last 3 years being driven by a P-Plater who doesn’t exactly keep it immaculate, but with regular servicing, fingers crossed it will keep on going.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #80
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But I know many of my friends who are hell bent on the badge hang up. As soon as you mention the Hyundai or Kia names, they screw their noses up at it and rubbish it without them ever stepping foot into one.

I find the psychology behind it interesting. Like it must affect their fragile masculinity to think of 'lowering' themselves to drive such a lowly, meager vehicle.
I love it when people think like that. I reckon it helps to keep the price down for those of us that know how bloody good they are!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #81
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Oh I am hoping!

Would be nice. I really like the Golf, but she hates the LHS indicators the euros all have, so has written them off as an option. :rolleyes

So the I30N (DCT) or N Line (DCT) is something I'll try and persuade her to look into as Id like something fun to hop into on the weekend for a burn in the twistys. Kind of gives me a semi-weekend car without it being a dedicated weekender. If that makes sense.

Overall, they are an under rated car. But I know many of my friends who are hell bent on the badge hang up. As soon as you mention the Hyundai or Kia names, they screw their noses up at it and rubbish it without them ever stepping foot into one.

Even after a year I still occassionally use the wrong stalk for indicators......ha.

As for mates rubbishing the brand, yes mine the same. As a people mover they seem fine but as a sports hatch like the i30N? Laughable.

Things will change with time I'm sure.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #82
MercuryT
Banned

I was meaning my mates not the car as laughable just to be clear.

I'm sure the Stinger is excellent value too.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #83
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates aren’t buying the car so I’m not too concerned what they think!! Before I got my Ranger I looked at about 8 different utes, brand was not a consideration. The missus and I had a few “must haves”, the Ranger, bt50 and Dmax ticked those boxes so I bought the first good one I saw in my budget.

The way people complain on here about Ford warranty, I’m surprised anyone would still buy one haha!!!

Not sure why the mate’s opinion would stop me buying the most suitable car for my needs and wants? Maybe I’m just an old grumpy bugger
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #84
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Yes I would.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #85
BAWITHLOT
XB COUPE TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post

- Rear suspension noisy.
- Radiator cracked.

Did you say Cerato or mean AU Fairlane?

All those faults could be any car!
BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #86
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
The Stinger is actually a Liftback rather than a sedan.
Thanks for the correction.

Doesn't help my Greyhounds sadly but would probably be more useful than a sedan (not sure)
Old 09-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #87
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I just fell off my chair laughing...... Do young girls really buy these cars...

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #88
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, if well built, reliable and with that warranty.

Korea also gave us this quantum leap in automotive styling:

https://www.drive.com.au/used-car-re...03-11gabm.html
Old 10-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #89
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

This had me interested enough to open carsales and have a look

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #90
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
This had me interested enough to open carsales and have a look
Go for it Shaun. I always a skeptic at best, but actually haven been in one, looked it up close and felt what it was like on the road, I am becoming a fan.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont