Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
Skwirls
Starter Motor

Default 07 TDCi grinding noise

Hi folks, I bought a Focus tdci a couple of months ago, only ever had Jap cars so everything is foreign to me now. Anyway, twice recently its briefly made this awful sound exactly like you've tried to start it when it's already going, like the starter is engaging while driving. First time I was just putting around in 1st in the supermarket carpark, yesterday I was doing 60kph in 4th, it lasts for a second or so. It sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine down low, comes through the firewall down near the clutch pedal?
Skwirls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
Skwirls
Starter Motor

Default Re: 07 TDCi grinding noise

203,000km, full service history for what its worth. Ive changed oil, fluids, coolant since I got it. It appears to be OK for its age
Old 03-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would check the tension on the alternator belt as its the cheapest option especially if it makes the noise within a short time after being started
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #4
Skwirls
Starter Motor

Its not the belt, that appears fine.
I think I've figured out what is making the noise but I don't know what that thing is. Let me explain if I can...when the engine is cold or the car has been sitting a while and you start and drive off slowly, once you've got some speed and are doing ~20kph some motor or solenoid engages, often happens just as you shift into second gear. Is it part of the turbo, boost control adjusting itself? EGR solenoid?

Whatever is supposed to be activated just as you get going is whats making the noise, getting stuck or not engaging properly
Old 06-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwirls View Post
Its not the belt, that appears fine.
I think I've figured out what is making the noise but I don't know what that thing is. Let me explain if I can...when the engine is cold or the car has been sitting a while and you start and drive off slowly, once you've got some speed and are doing ~20kph some motor or solenoid engages, often happens just as you shift into second gear. Is it part of the turbo, boost control adjusting itself? EGR solenoid?

Whatever is supposed to be activated just as you get going is whats making the noise, getting stuck or not engaging properly
I think it's something to do with the ABS - it's always around 20km/h and near the first to second gear change.

Mines done it since it was new, thought it was normal, sounds like it's coming from near the pedals/low in engine bay

I have an LV TDCI - 207,000km
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #6
Skwirls
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I think it's something to do with the ABS - it's always around 20km/h and near the first to second gear change.

Mines done it since it was new, thought it was normal, sounds like it's coming from near the pedals/low in engine bay

I have an LV TDCI - 207,000km
Right yeah that makes sense, maybe something wrong with the ABS motor, THANKS! I'll look into that, I did also get a warning light on the dash for seatbelt/airbag yesterday, maybe some kind of safety system having.a problem. Need to pull the code and see whats up, light goes out if you turn off the car and restart