Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Some Important Lessons to be Learned Here

Worth watching for anyone that drives modified cars.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but look at all the warning signs that were ignored prior to the crash.

Some interesting crash footage as well since it happened on a photo shoot.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Some Important Lessons to be Learned Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Worth watching for anyone that drives modified cars.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but look at all the warning signs that were ignored prior to the crash.

Some interesting crash footage as well since it happened on a photo shoot.

Yeah, they were very lucky with no where to go but the owner was rather blase' about the sticking acc pedal.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #3
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First thing I noticed was no shoulder strap seat belt.

For the uninitiated, why couldn't he have just slammed it into neutral?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Old mate was more concerned about looking good on camera,
burning out your brakes with a sticking throttle - major fail.

Yanks have a thing about not wearing seat belts in old cars……
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 05:11 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

I posted this on "anyone loose their brakes" thread. You can see him trying to but he's having trouble with the gate type shifter.

Wonder if it was upgraded to dual circuit power brakes.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 05:11 PM   #6
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The owner was an idiot and lucky he didn’t kill anyone and even more lucky there were no kids in the van he hit.

Driving the car knowing it’s got a sticking throttle issue and riding the brakes on the highway to keep it under control. It’s no surprise the little brakes he had on there gave out.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2022, 05:23 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFutura View Post
The owner was an idiot and lucky he didn’t kill anyone and even more lucky there were no kids in the van he hit.
Yep luck all round injury wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
Yeah, they were very lucky with no where to go but the owner was rather blase' about the sticking acc pedal.
Especially considering a 1000plus HP car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
It was fitted with harnesses, but they only wore the lap sash, he explained that in the video, but definitely a bad move. I think that is the problem with harnesses, people get too lazy to put them on unless they are actually racing or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
I think he tried as can be seen in the video. But having one of those silly shifters fitted did not do him any favours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
There were lots more warning signs along the way that were ignored. Especially considering the power of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
They were wearing seat belts as was explained in the video, unfortunately only lap sash seat belts and not the harnesses. I think harnesses are an issue for the street as well as people get too lazy to put them on.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 23-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #8
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sooo... What I take from this is ultimately the car was an unsafe piece of trash that should never ever have been on the road. Driven by a moronic owner who by his own admission knew better and didn't care. Egged on by a "car expert" who knew he should have pulled the pin but was only interested in getting content for channel.

The only lesson to learn from here is if the accelerator gets stuck is turn off the engine and smash on the brake or handbrake. Could have saved the situation, the car and any injuries. And don't take a fundamentally unsafe car out on the road.

Although we know we share the road with morons like this, its truly scary to see them in action.

Go ahead, flame away if you think I'm being too harsh.

Last edited by arm79; 23-07-2022 at 05:55 PM.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 06:12 PM   #9
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Sooo... What I take from this is ultimately the car was an unsafe piece of trash that should never ever have been on the road. Driven by a moronic owner who by his own admission knew better and didn't care. Egged on by a "car expert" who knew he should have pulled the pin but was only interested in getting content for channel.

The only lesson to learn from here is if the accelerator gets stuck is turn off the engine and smash on the brake or handbrake. Could have saved the situation, the car and any injuries. And don't take a fundamentally unsafe car out on the road.

Although we know we share the road with morons like this, its truly scary to see them in action.

Go ahead, flame away if you think I'm being too harsh.

well .... when i watched the vid the other week ....... [i have no sound] i missed the part about the sticky foot pedal .. BUT .. how the hell can you see what's coming with that blower!. personally i don't care what horsepower i have . . . but i wanna see where i'm going AND what's coming
as too losing the brakes .. . . ... use the gears at least - even the throttle as well [ie u turn] to lose momentum ....
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2022, 06:36 PM   #10
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
well .... when i watched the vid the other week ....... [i have no sound] i missed the part about the sticky foot pedal .. BUT .. how the hell can you see what's coming with that blower!. personally i don't care what horsepower i have . . . but i wanna see where i'm going AND what's coming
as too losing the brakes .. . . ... use the gears at least - even the throttle as well [ie u turn] to lose momentum ....
Read the first pinned post on YouTube, its from the driver/owner. He talks about double springs on the accelerator, how the shifter stops him from doing certain things, got a quote for brakes but didn't follow through, etc, etc. He knew it wasn't smart to be on the road. Lots of excuses but no contrition.

It's why I had to originally take the FPV off the road. It needed new brakes all round and I couldn't afford it, although I *could* have gotten away with fronts only for a short while. Even then it still outside of being affordable.

Everyone told me I should just put stock brakes on it. Simple and cheap way to get it back on the road. I refused to do that because I think a car that can accelerate that quickly should be able to stop equally as quickly.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 06:46 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Yep luck all round injury wise.

Especially considering a 1000plus HP car.

It was fitted with harnesses, but they only wore the lap sash, he explained that in the video, but definitely a bad move. I think that is the problem with harnesses, people get too lazy to put them on unless they are actually racing or similar.

I think he tried as can be seen in the video. But having one of those silly shifters fitted did not do him any favours.

There were lots more warning signs along the way that were ignored. Especially considering the power of the car.

They were wearing seat belts as was explained in the video, unfortunately only lap sash seat belts and not the harnesses. I think harnesses are an issue for the street as well as people get too lazy to put them on.
They were wearing lap belts, no sash across the outer shoulder….
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 06:47 PM   #12
Venomous1
5.0 means business

It's the Chev engine he put in there doomed it from the start.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #13
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

When they were stopped at the first set of lights, smelling the brakes, that’s when the drive should have ended. Pulled over and sorted it out then.
Old 23-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
When they were stopped at the first set of lights, smelling the brakes, that’s when the drive should have ended. Pulled over and sorted it out then.
In this case it wasn't a failure of the brake hardware, by the looks of it he's boiled the fluid from the heat. That's why the pedal went to the floor.

I've had my brakes smelling like a BBQ but I knew it was fine because they could handle the heat, dissipate it properly and was using very high temp brake fluid. It's not always a sign to stop.

I get the impression this is a regular thing for him with this car. The ease that he appears to be doing it and the blasé nature makes it seem like it happened before.

Last edited by arm79; 23-07-2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old 23-07-2022, 07:25 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Used to see it all the time, talking about how they just spent $50,000 on drive line but complain about $200 for a one off bespoke to their application throttle cable with a high temp casing and liner
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #16
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
In this case it wasn't a failure of the brake hardware, by the looks of it he's boiled the fluid from the heat. That's why the pedal went to the floor.

I've had my brakes smelling like a BBQ but I knew it was fine because they could handle the heat, dissipate it properly and was using very high temp brake fluid. It's not always a sign to stop.

I get the impression this is a regular thing for him with this car. The ease that he appears to be doing it and the blasé nature makes it seem like it happened before.

i had smoke coming from my old VJ/VK from doing two 100k's emergency stops [think it was two? maybe 3 lol?] .... after the 2nd i went for a long drive . . . . . . to give it some 'cooling' time.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #17
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I noted at the beginning they showed Wildwood brakes, I have never liked them, they seem to be geared towards lightness rather than braking ability.

They looked way inadequate compared to my BF GT 6/4 Brembo brakes.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 23-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #18
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driver and passenger are both idiots... The car wanted to idle at 2500 odd RPM so he was driving with the brakes on the whole time to keep it slow enough, the brakes on the car look underdone for the power of the car and even with full harnesses they where only wearing the bloody lap sash part... The major injuries could of been avoided (or minimized) had they of been wearing the harness properly...

The driver falls right into the category of "all the gear, no idea"....

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2022, 09:01 PM   #19
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about do this where nobody else is around.

Probably not the best idea to fang-it in an area with traffic lights.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2022, 10:34 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Driver and passenger are both idiots... The car wanted to idle at 2500 odd RPM so he was driving with the brakes on the whole time to keep it slow enough, the brakes on the car look underdone for the power of the car and even with full harnesses they where only wearing the bloody lap sash part... The major injuries could of been avoided (or minimized) had they of been wearing the harness properly...

The driver falls right into the category of "all the gear, no idea"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79

As others have said the blase attitude suggests that he’s been used to driving it like that in the past.
This is why we have all kinds of regulations to make sure that people like this don’t swarm our streets
with dangerous vehicles, these are the sorts of individuals that give other enthusiasts a bad name….
Old 23-07-2022, 11:39 PM   #21
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I noted at the beginning they showed Wildwood brakes, I have never liked them, they seem to be geared towards lightness rather than braking ability.
While I agree they look puny for the task I don't think it's a result of lightness or lack of braking ability.

You see him pump the pedal and the motion is as if the pedal is going to the floor. Like there is no pressure.

Spending all that time riding the brakes, getting hotter and hotter, and at that last set of lights while stopped they heat soaked and transferred the heat into the fluid and boiled it. Fluid was probably some moisture logged really old DOT 3 or maybe 4 to begin with. Then when he next needed them, pedal went straight down.

Quote:
They looked way inadequate compared to my BF GT 6/4 Brembo brakes.
I don't think there are any brakes that look adequate compared to the 6/4 Brembo's.

I was told by the owner of the original Race Brakes in Melbourne that the 4 piston Brembo was better than the 6. Smaller siffer caliper did a better job. He told me off that I did a silly thing by swapping my 4 piston to 6s.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

I seen this type of behaviour in my young days hooning around in modified cars and nothing has changed this day and age; still goes on so open up your eyes.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2022, 01:12 PM   #23
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Used to see it all the time, talking about how they just spent $50,000 on drive line but complain about $200 for a one off bespoke to their application throttle cable with a high temp casing and liner
Yep, same with brakes back in the day, people spend tens of thousands making it go faster, then bought the cheapest brakes they can find from the wrecker.

Seems to have changed a bit now with people spending money on brake upgrades etc.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 24-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #24
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was told by the owner of the original Race Brakes in Melbourne that the 4 piston Brembo was better than the 6. Smaller siffer caliper did a better job. He told me off that I did a silly thing by swapping my 4 piston to 6s.
I noted a considerable difference between the 6 and the 4 piston set up, and it was definitely in favour of the 6.

I have had the car on the track with both and the 6/4 definitely and noticeably outperforms the factory GT 4/1 set up as a matter of fact I decided to upgrade after a track day at Oran Park before it turned into a housing estate.

I sold the 4/1 set up on eBay and bought a genuine 6/4 set up with ADR approved braided hoses and fitted it up myself with high quality brake fluid.

Wasn't cheap but I have never regretted the upgrade for one second.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 24-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #25
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Uncle Tony had some interesting observations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgdkyLCF38A
Old 24-07-2022, 02:23 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Uncle Tony had some interesting observations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgdkyLCF38A
Uncle Toby is right on the money, his best comment, “What is wrong with this guy”
Old 24-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #27
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's easy to sit back after the fact and slow the video down and pick apart the dudes actions when the brakes failed but in the heat of the moment things are different. Now he had plenty of warning and shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place 100%

I have a funny throttle sticking experience from my younger days. Here comes story time

Before I had my license I had a rally basher it was a 70s corona chopped into a ute with a welded diff and I drove it hard on a mates farm. Now I'm gunna be modest and say I could drive that thing like you wouldn't believe It never was straight absolutely sideways all the time and also only had front brakes because it did better line lockies with the rear brakes gone. One day I had it brought into my parents place in town so I could work on it. Now this day my parents were away and a few mates were around looking at the corona and what happens well they want some action so I decide to do a quick burnout in dads carport. So I back it into the carport facing the road and dial up some revs and drop the clutch.... guess what happened, the flipping throttle sticks wide open. Now this is the first time in my short driving carrier that I have ever experienced this. I panicked so jumped on the brakes but with only front brakes they just locked up and did nothing. So im flying out the driveway heading for the street so I chuck it sideways out onto the road and finally get the sense to shut the ignition off. Was lucky not to do any damage. My mates didn't realise the throttle had stuck and thought I was just putting on an amazing show

Its easy to say just shut the ignition down but its stinking fear inspiring when a car takes off and I would bet most would take a few moments before they made the right choice. I drum it into my wife a lot, If the throttle sticks shut the ignition off. It might save someone's life one day
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post