Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #31
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Auction - Real deal ESP 351 four speed

Fools and money
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #32
Trendseeker

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/she...lls-for-111000
Old 27-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #33
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just can't help but think that if 12 months ago, this car had have been pulled out of that shed, washed and listed on carsales.com in its present condition for 80 grand, it would still be there. And we'd be saying "Tell 'im he's dreamin'!"

This whole 'barn find' thing is a pretty interesting phenomenon. I could understand a big price result if it had been in the shed 30 years and had 30,000 kms on the clock and was ready to be started with an oil and fuel change and a new battery. This one though, has 300k on the clock and a donk with a gut full of water in the oil.

Old mate the cocky didn't park it there to save it for posterity. He'd simply worn her out and put her in the shed because he had a bit of spare room.

Maybe I'm missing something, hey it wouldn't be the first time!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #34
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
I just can't help but think that if 12 months ago, this car had have been pulled out of that shed, washed and listed on carsales.com in its present condition for 80 grand, it would still be there. And we'd be saying "Tell 'im he's dreamin'!"

This whole 'barn find' thing is a pretty interesting phenomenon. I could understand a big price result if it had been in the shed 30 years and had 30,000 kms on the clock and was ready to be started with an oil and fuel change and a new battery. This one though, has 300k on the clock and a donk with a gut full of water in the oil.

Old mate the cocky didn't park it there to save it for posterity. He'd simply worn her out and put her in the shed because he had a bit of spare room.

Maybe I'm missing something, hey it wouldn't be the first time!
Agree with you entirely; and had similar thoughts about what difference a simple wash and clean-up might have had in terms of the auction result.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #35
Blueford260

I read on one of the posts on Facebook ( so take this with a pinch of salt ) that the buyer was the original owners grandson so I would assume that there was a fair bit of sentimental value in it for him.
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #36
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueford260 View Post
I read on one of the posts on Facebook ( so take this with a pinch of salt ) that the buyer was the original owners grandson so I would assume that there was a fair bit of sentimental value in it for him.
I've seen a few posts saying the buyer was a family member son/grandson/nephew, in witch case they will probably be inheriting back part of the purchase amount.

Or the family never had any intention to sell and the whole thing was a overdone stage act to get more interest in their clearance sale.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint XR8 View Post
Or the family never had any intention to sell and the whole thing was a overdone stage act to get more interest in their clearance sale.
An elaborate ploy to make a killing on the sausage sizzle sandwiches.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #38
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey I'm a proud ESP owner x 2 and think it's a fantastic story. What ever the reason for the high sale price, it's got a LOT of people talking (positive and negative) about ESP 5.8 manual Fords.
Hey if a phase 3 can pull over a million bucks, a T and L ESP is entitled to pull 10% of that price.
Old 27-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #39
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint XR8 View Post
I've seen a few posts saying the buyer was a family member son/grandson/nephew, in witch case they will probably be inheriting back part of the purchase amount.

I thought the latter straight away too. 300,000kms and a water logged donk doesn't scream pay double the market value to me.

Either that or there's something hidden in that car somewhere that someone really wants
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
I thought the latter straight away too. 300,000kms and a water logged donk doesn't scream pay double the market value to me.

Either that or there's something hidden in that car somewhere that someone really wants
Must be a couple of kilos of coke hidden in the door cavities.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #41
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Could be a true story.
If one of the family members who had a personal attachment was forced to buy the car back from the Estate on the open market, anything is possible.
Emotion and sentiment are powerful forces. Been there, can understand.
But I think its fair to say that the price it achieved is not a true reflection on the market as a whole.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #42
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

If it was one of the family that bought it, the other bidder had to be willing to pay, $110k. So I genuine buyer, and family, or two family members?

We will probably never know, but I guess it’s at least one family member and genuine bidder.

Still seems expensive though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sep 97 EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #43
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol, family member went 1 bid too far me thinks, will be up for sale again in the near future..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post