Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Nards
Starter Motor

Default FG 2011 XR6 Ute Growning Noise

Hi, first time post I have a what sounds like a front wheel bearing noise very loud low gowning that increases with speed. I haven't replaced front hubs but something tells me its not them car has done 70,000km.
Is there anywhere else I should be looking at for this type of noise is there a history of problems like this for this model vehicle?
Cheers and thanks you....Tony
Nards is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: FG 2011 XR6 Ute Growning Noise

G'day and welcome to the forums ..If you can't get help here you can't get help anywhere .. I also own an FG XR6 but mine is a car , thankfully no such issues but just because it's only 70K doesn't mean it 's unlikely to be a wheel bearing because nothing like that is guaranteed I'm afraid . Check everything and it still could be a growling bearing unfortunately ...Good luck for a quick cheap fix..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

Has the car sat for an extended period? I had to do the front wheel bearings in my bf at 107k but it had been more or less keeping the driveway company for about 2 years at the time. It was only 5 years old when they were done.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Nards
Starter Motor

G'day, no it hasn't sat for a while ute gets used daily although only 20km per day. It could be the front hubs but for the noise it is making I should be able to feel or hear something when I turn the wheels while vehicle is off the ground on blocks.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Does the noise change with different road surfaces? In my experience, the most common cause of "wheel bearing noise" is actually tyre noise. And a tyre can be quiet at first then quite suddenly become fairly noisy.
Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a groaning noise that increases with speed. Have you tried doing a lap of the block without the wife in the passenger seat?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
stevo73

Hi mate, why dont you try jacking the car up from the front each side seperately and try to move the wheel while it is off the ground, if it has any side to side play I would say it would be a wheel bearing.
stevo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
Nards
Starter Motor

Thanks guys for your replies, I have tried driving around without wife the noise is still there...but good try anyway. I checked wheel bearings for movement and they are ok with no free play. Its not the tyres because I have checked, my guess is to replace the front hubs and see what happens, was wandering if it could be dive shaft centre bearing.

One thing I did notice is when I spin both front wheels when car off the ground they look like they are slightly out of round as if there is a kink in the wheel rim, its not by much maybe 5mm but still its there, maybe that's normal? Anyway will change hubs and see what happens...cheers.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nards View Post
Thanks guys for your replies, I have tried driving around without wife the noise is still there...but good try anyway. I checked wheel bearings for movement and they are ok with no free play. Its not the tyres because I have checked, my guess is to replace the front hubs and see what happens, was wandering if it could be dive shaft centre bearing.

One thing I did notice is when I spin both front wheels when car off the ground they look like they are slightly out of round as if there is a kink in the wheel rim, its not by much maybe 5mm but still its there, maybe that's normal? Anyway will change hubs and see what happens...cheers.
How did you check the tyres? I had a noise that I couldn't work out.

The tyres were only half worn Falken's but it turned out to be the fronts, changed tyres and all quiet now.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
stevo73

I know its a simple thing but are the wheel nuts are definately tightened properly
stevo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It sounds like wheel bearing to me; has the car ever hit a curb or similar? It could also be tyres and swapping the front tyres with the rear tyres around would be a test that will confirm or eliminate that possibility.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
KobiXR6T

I had to do the front bearings in my BA around similar kms. Would have to check notes to be sure when I did it age wise. Edit: Was early 2014 when I replaced them.

I recall it was after a particularly raining wet season, and I didn't have any play or clunking other than the noise that would definitely increase with speed... but not necessarily when turning or loading the offending wheel.

When I removed the hub was evident which one was the problem. New ones fitted up and no noise since.
KobiXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #13
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nards View Post

They don’t always necessarily have free play when worn.

My BF didn’t have any free play even with noisy bearings but replacing ghek did fix the issue.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

After a lot of kms, some tyres can get noisy, sometimes swapping right for left
and running them in the reverse direction can quieten them.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #15
Nards
Starter Motor

Yep, going to swap tyre around and try that before changing hubs.

Cheers,
Nards