Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Mark Durnell
Starter Motor

Default Smart lock woes.

Hi, I had to replace the ign switch on my 95(?) ED futura but had to get one from a wreckers due to financial restraints at the time.If i connect it up fully ie starter circuits and smartlock,then it wont crank,just a click from under the dash.If i connect the original barrel to just the smartlock then i can start it, Though i need to use both keys.What is the procedure for resetting the smartlock? Ive been told to leave it connected and ign on for 1hr to teach it but it doesnt work,only makes the smartlock light flash faster.Any help would be great.
thank you,
Mark Durnell.

Mark Durnell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah u need to train it, itll be a 94 ED. i think u put the iggnition on for 30 minutes, and the door locks should cycle thru (eg lock then unlock) and it should work, altho it wouldnt explain why it wont crank.

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Mark Durnell
Starter Motor

I have put the ign on for 30,45 and 60 mins (at least) all that happens is the light flashes faster.The locks dont cycle and i'm concerned about burning out the coil.Is there something i need to do with the boot release or demister buttons as i've read in some of the posts? or is that for proggramming the remotes (which i dont have anyway)
Old 06-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
NZ
~~~

was it a smartlock switch you got? Some wreckers wouldnt know what the difference is.

Reading your first post, from what I can gather you plugged the replacment switch into the 6 pin plug (the one thats hard to disconnect!) and the old barrel into the small 4 pin smartlock plug and it worked when both keys were turned.?
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate,
I have a work shop manual and have had a read for ya.
By the looks of it the right way to do it, once the ignition lock has been replaced is to download the electronic lock assembly codes before the car can be started. Obviously you do not have these codes as one assume can only be done by Ford service.
Per what you are seeing above.
If the car is in the immobilised state (jewel falshing rapidly) you can not start the engine as the smart lock module has disabled both the starter motor and the EEV-IV system.
If the cause is an unathorised attemp to start the car, ie. Hot wire or use of another ignition switch, the car will remain unuseable. Howevre to prevent a vehicle from being completely immobilised (eg, due to damaged electrinic lock assy data) you can start the car by using the method below.

Re the suggestion per above. To start an immobilised car. here is the proceddure from the manual.
1. Turn all accessories off
2. Turn the ignition to the run position. The warning Jewel will flash the imobilised code (0.2 off, 0.2 on.) It may flash a error code before the immobilised code.
3. Leave the car for 30 min (with key in run position)
4. After 30min the Smartlock module will attempt to relearn the Electronic lock assy data
5. If the learning procedure is successful the warning jewel will then stop flashing and the door locks will change state twice. You can now start he car and operate as normal
6. If the learning proceedure is unsuccessful the warning jewel will stop flashing and stay on and you can start the engine. Refer notes:

Notes:
1. If the cause of the immobilised state was due to an error in the electronic lock assy, the ignition can be turned to the off or acc position for up to 30 seconds and restart the engine with out needing another 30 min wait.
2. If the fault is due to a complete failure of the Smart lock module the EEC-IV module also has a system override timer. If you leave the ignition switch in the run position for 30 min , you will be able to start the engine. Note that if you turn the key back to acc or off the engine wil not restart and you will have to wait a furhter 30 min before restarting
3.If the courtesy lamp fuse is removed from the fuse panel, the smart lock module will not operate and the engine will crank but not start (the EEC-IV module does not receive the enable code)

Last edited by bdennis; 06-03-2006 at 02:28 PM.
bdennis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If ya want any more info / a scan of the pages pm me and I will see what I can do for ya
Old 06-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Mark Durnell
Starter Motor

Ok Thanks for that info,like Ive said previously,i have tried leaving the ignition on before but didnt get get very far,One thing I forgot to mention is that when i start the car, using the familiar to me method of 2 keys,the jewel flashes 3, off, flashes 3,then stays on permanently. Even though the car runs perfectly in other aspects I don't know what the light sequence signifies.
I try going through step by step as you provided and let you knoe what happens.

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mark,
Error code 3 is wrong data received (all 3 codes received are incorrect) from ignition key. Meaning it it not the original one. (as we know)..

All the manual says for this error code is (as we know) Connect new electronic lock assy, down loads codes and retest.....
Old 06-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
Mark Durnell
Starter Motor

But the key which is connected to the smartlock is the original one which is why i'm so baffled!!! Why does it show an error code with the original key yet still start and run perfectly.Oh and also while i've got 2 keys its easy to take the new key out of the ignition to stop the car (as you would) then get out and lock it (yes it does) but then when you return discover that the bloody key doesnt unlock.Thank god there are some breakers around melb that have a stock of quarter glasses.
Old 17-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Denney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdennis
3.If the courtesy lamp fuse is removed from the fuse panel, the smart lock module will not operate and the engine will crank but not start (the EEC-IV module does not receive the enable code)
This is the exact problem that's happening to me. I've done the 30 minute thing and could start the car but once I turned it off, it won't start again.
Denney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

Iv got a mate with the same problem in his EB. Will be very interested to see how this can be fixed.
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
Denney

Nevermind... My SmartLock module is stuffed. That's why it won't work.
Denney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
LimoDriver
Starter Motor

Default Re: Smart lock woes.

<This post was re-edited> Forgot model and year. Sorry bout that.

Last edited by LimoDriver; 08-02-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: I forgot to include the car's model and year. oops
LimoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
LimoDriver
Starter Motor

Default Re: Smart lock woes.

Hi to all, box of matches and a tin of petrol . . . kidding. I had the same problem, replaced Smart lock module, battery is as new, it cranks, courtesy light works, interior light works, but still have the intermittency issue posted on other threads, and am noticing the problems stated on this thread, and am going over the wiring. Can anyone tell us why the Smart lock dash light won't work? My assumption is that it's just old wiring or bad connection(s). Thanks. BTW it's an ED '94 Fairmont.
LimoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post