Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
NevC
Red Back Ute

Default Running In

How many kilometers has it taken to run your Mondeo in?

Not used to these little motors at all so am wondering what you long time owners think.

Just done 3000k and it's running great. Using Premium unleaded as suggested and did notice a difference in performance and economy, but were not sure if this was also associated with ks done. Averaging 8.4km/100k by trip computer now, was 9.2 when new and on normal unleaded.

Only problem is rear windows still do not hold auto up calibration, so that's only fix at first service.

BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Hers 2011 SV6 Sports wagon, she has crossed to the dark side of the force.
NevC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

I've done 1800kms in my XR5 (min 95RON ...or suffer the consequences).
Avg speed 55kmh @ 9.4 lt/100km (32mpg), and only filled up twice since new.

I agree with your choice of colour.....
Cheers
....just Snoozin in my Silver XR5
...that Moondust gets in my eyes every time!
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My diesel has just done 23000km and its getting better,free spinning having to hold it back unlike at 5000k as if the handbrake is on! On the way back from Canberra two holden SS utes passed me [flying] so I said great they will get booked first the TDCi maintained the gap with the SS's and had at one time 150km/h on the clock my misses TOLD ME to back off so its not all kilowatts that gets you moving as mine is 96Kw

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Modern petrol engines don't really need to be run in - the main thing is to drive them hard at some stage when they're reasonably new so that the rings fully bed in. My Mondeo feels better at 45,000 kms than when I got it at 14,000, partly because I now use 98 petrol all of the time, but also because it's used mainly for long trips. It doesn't use any oil at all between services, which are 20,000 km in NZ.

I don't really know about diesels though, although I suspect that they'll take longer to fully run in.
Old 21-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Modern petrol engines don't really need to be run in - the main thing is to drive them hard at some stage when they're reasonably new so that the rings fully bed in. My Mondeo feels better at 45,000 kms than when I got it at 14,000, partly because I now use 98 petrol all of the time, but also because it's used mainly for long trips. It doesn't use any oil at all between services, which are 20,000 km in NZ.

I don't really know about diesels though, although I suspect that they'll take longer to fully run in.

Are there many Mondeo's in NZ ?
Old 21-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iirc, mondeos are used largely used as fleet vehicles in NZ, so yes.

i was also told you needn't "run in" as per old school. i've just driven mine as i saw fit from the moment i took it off ther lot... just had my 15k service. runs like a dream.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
NevC
Red Back Ute

By running in I did not mean old school antics.

Ours is driven as per normal, but had a mix of long and short runs, plus a squirt over the hills to ensure bedding in.

Both Territory's did not really feel free until 1200k +.

I had an assumption that 5000 to 10000k may be where the motor reaches a sweet spot. It is improving its ability to haul over the hills here quickly.

Bloody good cars these things. Its a real shame the XR5's were not autos.
BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Old 22-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

an XR5 auto?? you're doing it wrong... :-)

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 22-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
NevC
Red Back Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
an XR5 auto?? you're doing it wrong... :-)
For Boss, can no longer drive a manual

Old 22-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

she'd enjoy the titanium just as much in a turbo deisel i reckon...

Old 23-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
cammag

[QUOTE=I don't really know about diesels though, although I suspect that they'll take longer to fully run in.[/QUOTE]

They do take longer to run in, a lot longer. You can have problems with glazing the cylinders. This is is mostly associated with low speed diesels but can be a problem with high speed diesels too.

No such thing as running in anymore really. With the exception of the first couple of hundred kilometers. No hard acceleration, no heavy breaking, no towing, that sort of thing.

After that just drive like you normally would.
Old 23-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
warren77

Mine feels much better at 25,000km (which took me over two years to achieve) than when new. Everything is much smoother.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Koala
Are there many Mondeo's in NZ ?
Yes, they'd be the second best selling medium car behind the Mazda 6. Ford has not discounted them heavily like they usually do - there are none in the rental fleets. So hopefully their value will hold up when the first ex-lease vehicles hit the used car market soon.
Old 26-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
marcusturbo

These days most car engines do not need any running in periods. The manual still says to run the engine in and not to exceed revs/full throttle or labour the engine.

As a few have said the best thing to do is drive the car as normal and vary the engine revs all the time, don't let the engine run, Cruise Control, for long periods of time. If the engine is willing to rev higher in the range then fine but if it does, still a little tight, then don't force the revs. A good vary of speed & revs will bed the engine in nicely. I would do this for at least the first 1000/1500k's.
Old 27-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
scribbly

I've just passed the 123,000 mark and it couldn't sound sweeter. I think the car felt like it was fully loosening up at about the 15,000 mark. Tyers are the problem with me so I'm just about to change all 4 out again. Doing a front set every 25 to 30K.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
I've just passed the 123,000 mark and it couldn't sound sweeter. I think the car felt like it was fully loosening up at about the 15,000 mark. Tyers are the problem with me so I'm just about to change all 4 out again. Doing a front set every 25 to 30K.
123K is getting up there. Must be the Calder trips. I'm at just over 45K.

What's you economy looking like?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
scribbly

It's still approx 6.1l/100km

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 27-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
mighty-mon

The old girl is a bit looser these days , but i like that new tight feeling.

Opps ......................ah ok you mean the engine!!
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you check out the UK Mondeo website, you're doing OK for tyre wear. Must be the combination of weight and torque, because the petrol is much easier on front tyres.
Old 27-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #20
scribbly

Yeah, I really like pushing the car through the corners on the back roads out here.
In any case, the service guys recommended the Excellence or Toyo as a better hardwearing tyre brand. I'll give these a go next. I bought the current Pirelli's on sale but of course the price is now through the roof.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 28-08-2010, 03:37 AM   #21
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scribbly, I'd suggest that you get advice from a good independent tyre place. From experience, the Excellence is hard wearing but lacking in wet grip, especially after the tread is about half worn.

I recently fitted a set of Toyo T1Rs to my wife's Accord - they have quite soft sidewalls and I'm not sure how they'd go on a Mondeo. But they grip really well and have already saved me on a wet road when a muppet cut in front of me, then stopped in the left lane to pick someone up!
Old 29-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
scribbly

Quote:
It's still approx 6.1l/100km
I must have been dreaming - it's actually 6.6lt/100km

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT