Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Default Wakefield Track Day

Hi All,

Thought I would post an invite to anyone who is interested. I am organising a track day at wakefield park on 17 June (Friday). Costs $120 and you get 15mins every hour between 9am and 4pm. You should be able to get 11 laps in which is more than enough. Daewoo Lanos Cup cars did it in 1:18 so the Fiesta should be capable of similar if not better times but I doubt I will be pushing it that hard.

I am doing more so to see what the car is capable of at the limit and to see the handling limit. It will make me appreciate what the car is capable of in a safe environment.

So if anyone is interested, please post or pm me.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What license do you need to go on the track?
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

do you need a CAMS licence?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Good luck getting an insurance payout if anything should go pear shaped. Or a warranty fix if anything blows up...

Having said that i'd like to do it, but i'm in victoria!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

U dont need a license other than your normal one. You do however have to pay $40 for a 1 year cams type license. That is covered in the $120 above. If you have a cams level 3 license you dont need to buy one so the cost would be $80. That means within 12 months, if you do come back it will be only $80.

Yes, thats right there is no insurance cover when you are out there. But if you are smart about it and don't drive like an idiot, you should be ok. You dont race people, you are sort of out there on your own as they stagger people on the track. So if someone is faster than you, you should let them go past. Remember to keep checking those mirrors.

Well if something breaks on the car, I dont see how it is any different than when I am out on the road and giving it stick. When I go into the hills round here I drive the car hard but dont abuse it...its about being sensible...keep off the rpm limiter (I normally change at 5K max) and use the car within its limits...so at a maximum you will drive 20km in 15min and it will involve 2 hard braking points. The speeds on wakefield are not high, especially in the top part of the track.

If something breaks, I dont think it is cause I was driving it at a race track, I am not racing the car....I am just driving it too its limits and not beyond it. If the car is not capable of sustaining that for 10 to 15min then I will trade it in and buy something else. And I dont think I will be doing anything that is not within the operating range of the vehicle. Now Ford will have you believe otherwise, but its not like I am doing a stationery burnout for 3 mins or something. I have driven the car as hard as I could for 35mins through twisty roads and nothing went wrong with it...and that was on a 27 degree day about 8,000km ago.

But thats just my thoughts...Please dont get me wrong, I love the car and dont abuse it, I just wanna have a little fun. Besides, the track is suited to small cars, and I am only gonna go about 90% I think, just in case something does go a stray. Sorry a bit long winded there and not having a go at you Dan. And its better on a track than a public road!!!

I do think that they would do this sort of thing at other race tracks too...just find out from what ever track is closest to you.

Last edited by Cypher; 19-05-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 19-05-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Um, who said Ford would find out you were on the track if something DOES go wrong? Also, if your car was to break down on the track, something is wrong with it... ive bounced mine off the limiter a few times, hard cornering etc etc and its still running... mind you i changed tyres at 9000km...... only the fronts LOL

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 19-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Um, who said Ford would find out you were on the track if something DOES go wrong? I've bounced mine off the limiter a few times, hard cornering etc etc and its still running... mind you I changed tyres at 9000km...... only the fronts LOL
Ummmm Dude, the warranty thing was an add on to back up my original comment about the insurance not covering track use, It pays to be smart and think about everything before you go ahead with something like this, as if a power steering pump blows from continued stress, or the brakes fail from constant pumpage they will have a fair idea that it wasn't being driven normally. Geddit? _2:

Quote:
Also, if your car was to break down on the track, something is wrong with it...
Oh, shit. Really? :hihi: Looks like anyways Teki you dont need a track license as you sound like you're a nut on the road anyways, with with a lack mechanical empathy for cars. The Fiesta is NOT a race car and continued driving like that WILL cause problems whether theres something "wrong" or not.
Old 20-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Ummmm Dude, the warranty thing was an add on to back up my original comment about the insurance not covering track use, It pays to be smart and think about everything before you go ahead with something like this, as if a power steering pump blows from continued stress, or the brakes fail from constant pumpage they will have a fair idea that it wasn't being driven normally. Geddit? _2:

Oh, shit. Really? :hihi: Looks like anyways Teki you dont need a track license as you sound like you're a nut on the road anyways, with with a lack mechanical empathy for cars. The Fiesta is NOT a race car and continued driving like that WILL cause problems whether theres something "wrong" or not.
Customer is always right? They have no proof that it wasnt being driven normal... the pump just failed...

Never said it was a race car... but im sure that 1 lap of the track every 30minutes isnt going to kill the thing.

Old 20-05-2005, 02:56 AM   #9
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

dam it , i have to work :( otherwise i woulds be in forsure

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Good points by all. And as highlighted, if you know the risks and are prepared to accept them then there isnt a problem.

My comment in relation to Ford was more to do with them claiming your warranty null and void if they knew what you were up to. They wont know unless you tell them. Although you always hear stories...so pays to be somewhat cautious. Also in relation to Ford, does anyone know if the ECU has a playback or blackbox feature so that they can see the engine parameters if the engine was to go bang. In regards to ancilliary parts, it would be near impossible to tell as the parts would die over time, not just go bang. As Teki said, the part just failed.

Interesting point tho, if you told them you drive the car hard, would they claim you abused it? Although it is a Fiesta we are talking about, maybe a different story if it was an XR6T or GT or something like that.

With engineering processes today, I doubt anything we do to the Fiesta would kill it. Its not like the driveline is being subjected to large amounts of power..lol In these types of cars, it would easy to build in a mechanical tolerances for the parts. Unlike for example and XR6T, wind the boost up and it may go bang!

Last edited by Cypher; 20-05-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 20-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Pretty sure the fiesta with all the right fluids filled up, would be able to handle 1 lap.... not like its going to over heat with all the air rushing into it at speeds....

Last edited by Teki04; 20-05-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 20-05-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well Motor Mag got a 1:20.25 lap time at wakefield.... no complaints of failures...

Old 20-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher
Also in relation to Ford, does anyone know if the ECU has a playback or blackbox feature so that they can see the engine parameters if the engine was to go bang!
I' heard that they do. They have it for the active and passive safety systems so they know what the car was doing before it was involoved in an accident. Also under the seats there are wires and connectors from the sensors in the seats that calculate weight of a passenger and determine what stage to set off the dual stage airbags and seat belt pretensioners.

Teki, These cars are getting pretty smart these days, its becoming difficult to hide anything from these engineers, and they WILL find something that gives them the clue as to why something went wrong. Also, its 15 minutes per hour on the track therefore = more than one lap.

A mate of mine had a diff go and broke his driveshaft on his Manual s pack VT commodore cuz he'd stall it up and slip the clutch (just let it spring back fully rather than gradually let it out). 2 grands worth of damage there and holden knew what hed been up to by inspecting it closer upon its arrival to the workshop. They voided his warranty. Yes, customer is always right, but there are disclaimers and fine print that outline conditions of the warranty.

It pays to be careful.
Old 20-05-2005, 07:24 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

But really, what is going to happen with like, 6 laps every 1 hour or so? Pretty sure the Fiesta wouldnt self destruct... i mean the Motor Mag and other Mags havent had any problems.... only problems i know of that magazines have all the time are with the HSV and Holden Power Steering Fluids boiling and over heating... hence they loose power steering. Fiesta seems to be all good to me.

I mean, i drive mine hard sometimes if i see a nice corner.... and nothing has happened so far. Obviously, drive it rough and go off on a corner, and you will sustain damage most likely... but drive within its limits (which i dont think i have found yet) and im sure the Fiesta would be up to it. I mean, if you corner hard and then gear change at like 6200rpm im sure nothing major will go wrong... and if it does, the Fiesta ECU isnt going to tell the engineer "he cornered hard".

Oh, also something i noticed in the Manual.... The front air bags ONLY have sensors at the front of the car.... pretty stupid... watch out for side action into a pole!

Old 21-05-2005, 03:58 AM   #15
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

i go on the old highway flat out and have know problems ,

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #16
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Teki & Pieoter....you guys coming??

I will try to get some video footage of the Zetec in action as long as I can put in a cam rig I am working on now.
Old 21-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

PLEASE DO GET VIDEO IMAGE!!!!!!!! even pics!!!! And nah, i cant.... no licence.... was suspended... :( I WISH I WAS THERE... i would love to see the corners

Old 21-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
But really, what is going to happen with like, 6 laps every 1 hour or so? Pretty sure the Fiesta wouldnt self destruct... i mean the Motor Mag and other Mags havent had any problems.... only problems i know of that magazines have all the time are with the HSV and Holden Power Steering Fluids boiling and over heating... hence they loose power steering. Fiesta seems to be all good to me.

I mean, i drive mine hard sometimes if i see a nice corner.... and nothing has happened so far. Obviously, drive it rough and go off on a corner, and you will sustain damage most likely... but drive within its limits (which i dont think i have found yet) and im sure the Fiesta would be up to it. I mean, if you corner hard and then gear change at like 6200rpm im sure nothing major will go wrong... and if it does, the Fiesta ECU isnt going to tell the engineer "he cornered hard".

Oh, also something i noticed in the Manual.... The front air bags ONLY have sensors at the front of the car.... pretty stupid... watch out for side action into a pole!
I think youre missing my point dude, really :yeees: . All I said was if something should go worng whether it be engine wise (regardless of whether YOU think it will happen or not under these circumstances, anything is possible), or worse, body damage. you could have problems getting them fixed under insurance (Definitely) or warranty (maybe).
Old 22-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

True that.... but drive withing capable limits, and worst that could happen is you drive on grass??? cause.... you have to have a minimum length inbetween each car

Old 22-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #20
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will come. I presume a motorbike helmet will be fine?

Im hoping I will have a little surprise ready for you guys before then too.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #21
Danny
GT4.

Come on Pieoter, tell us what it is!
Old 24-05-2005, 01:31 PM   #22
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Any road legal helmet will be ok.

Hope its a turbo!