Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default AU 16" tyre size

What's the biggest tyre for 16" rims on the front of our beasts?
My work ute / RTV mock up has 215/60/16 now, and I assume the RTV 215/65/16 will fit too.

At what size will it hit the top ball joint?

235/60/16 is the same diameter as the RTV tyre, but obviously wider. Has anyone tried these?
Or even 225/60/16?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: AU 16" tyre size

So 215/60/16 is stock fitment for all 16" falcons

235/60/16 is not the same diameter as stock. The second measurement (60) is not a measurement in mm or inches like the 215 and the 16 are (respectively) but is a percentage/ratio.

I'd be mighty surprised if a 215/65/16 or 225/60/16 would foul on anything. I've been thinking of fitting one of the two to correct my slight speedo issue.

Use this handy tyre calc tool for diameter sizes.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
So 215/60/16 is stock fitment for all 16" falcons
Well, actually it isn't, 225/55/16 go on sedans I believe, but that's not too relevant for what I'm after.
Quote:
235/60/16 is not the same diameter as stock. The second measurement (60) is not a measurement in mm or inches like the 215 and the 16 are (respectively) but is a percentage/ratio.
Ahh, more than well aware of that, which is exactly why I'm looking at them, to increase diameter and width.
Quote:
I'd be mighty surprised if a 215/65/16 or 225/60/16 would foul on anything.
Same, the RTV has 215/65/16, and I'm fairly certain it has the same balljoint distance.
Quote:
I've been thinking of fitting one of the two to correct my slight speedo issue.
I'm just after the big look , and larger range of tyre options (soft road).
Quote:
Use this handy tyre calc tool for diameter sizes.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Yep it's awesome, been using it for probably 10 years now.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Well, actually it isn't, 225/55/16 go on sedans I believe, but that's not too relevant for what I'm after.
well smarty, your wrong

Quote:
Yep it's awesome, been using it for probably 10 years now.
yep the miata calc is great isnt it? So..... stick your head in the wheel arch and see how many mm clearance you have, and type some numbers into 'that' calculator youve been using for 10 years?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
well smarty, your wrong
True, it's actually 225/50/16.
I was still right about 215 not being the only size on Falcons with 16" rims.
Quote:
yep the miata calc is great isnt it? So..... stick your head in the wheel arch and see how many mm clearance you have, and type some numbers into 'that' calculator youve been using for 10 years?
Done that, and it's tight.
I'm looking to see if anyone has done it to confirm.

What's with the attitude anyhow?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
AU Mont
Banned

dunno whats going on, but old mate said 215/60 was the factory size, and you said that it acutally was 225/50.

given that there are slightly different sizes for variations in AU models, and that 215/60/16 is the most common in the AU's i thought id bluntly correct as you did him.

btw, im 100% sure 225/60/16 wont fit on the front of the previous models, id almost bet a left nut that it wont clear the suspension in the AU front as well
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Um... Mont, lucky you didn't actually make that bet, you could be hobbling for a while otherwise. I have previously fitted 225/60/16 to the missus wagon to try and correct the speedo and they clear everything fine except for the inner lip at the top of the guard which will get snagged when you get near full lock as soon as you put any compression on the front suspension and then drag the lip down and out into the breeze. It's a pain in the a$$ to fold back up into the guard without trashing the guard profile at the top of the wheel arch. The stock 215/60/16 will also snag the guard too on full lock if you fully compress the suspension such as riding up a gutter or steep driveway ramp off of the road. Take a look at some of the AU's front guards around the place and you'll notice more than a couple will have the tell tale kink at the top of the wheel arches.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
dunno whats going on, but old mate said 215/60 was the factory size, and you said that it acutally was 225/50.

given that there are slightly different sizes for variations in AU models, and that 215/60/16 is the most common in the AU's i thought id bluntly correct as you did him.

btw, im 100% sure 225/60/16 wont fit on the front of the previous models, id almost bet a left nut that it wont clear the suspension in the AU front as well
I didn't bluntly correct him at all, I simply corrected him, just like I'm correcting you.

I think you should quit while you're ahead.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Um... Mont, lucky you didn't actually make that bet, you could be hobbling for a while otherwise. I have previously fitted 225/60/16 to the missus wagon to try and correct the speedo and they clear everything fine except for the inner lip at the top of the guard which will get snagged when you get near full lock as soon as you put any compression on the front suspension and then drag the lip down and out into the breeze. It's a pain in the a$$ to fold back up into the guard without trashing the guard profile at the top of the wheel arch. The stock 215/60/16 will also snag the guard too on full lock if you fully compress the suspension such as riding up a gutter or steep driveway ramp off of the road. Take a look at some of the AU's front guards around the place and you'll notice more than a couple will have the tell tale kink at the top of the wheel arches.

Bushbasher
Thanks mate, the lip won't be a problem for me as I've rolled it, plus it's standing about 12 feet tall at the moment.

How close were the 225's to the ball joint?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I couldn't honestly tell you Sox, it was 3 or 4 years ago but I can tell you I never spotted any tell tale scuff marks on the inside of the tyre from any contact with the ball joint. The only time I ever had issues with ball joint clearance was when I picked up a set of VT SS 17s that someone had bought as blanks and put a ford stud pattern in. When I fitted them to the front of the wagon they just touched the ball joint and rubbed right on the lip of the rim. I bought 8mm spacers to correct the offset and all was good. They didn't last long and I on sold them but that's a different story. When I fitted ford 17's to the front there was about 8-10mm of clearance from the rim lip to the ball joint so that might give you some idea of the clearance you'd have. I'd hazard a guess that you could get 235/60/16 on with clearance as long as your guards were out of the way.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I've never seen a single 16" AU sedan or wagon from factory with anything other than 215/60/16s.
Old 13-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
I've never seen a single 16" AU sedan or wagon from factory with anything other than 215/60/16s.
I think you'll find all XR's which had 16's also wore 225/50/16.
Falcon 'S' also had them.
Old 13-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Mr Hardware

ok, i'd accept that. but it's still the case that the absolute vast majority of AUs wear 215/60/16s
Old 13-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I think you'll find that the tyre sticker on the back edge of the drivers door lists 225's as well as the 215's so they must be a standard fitment.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 13-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Mr Hardware

my tyre placard lists 215/55/16s and 215/60/16s
Old 13-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Sox
RIP...

My work ute sticker has 205/65/15, and my XR8 220 has 225/50/16 and 235/45/17.
Seems like a real mixed bag.
Old 13-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I'm pretty sure our Futura wagon lists 215/60/16 and 225/60/16, but that may indeed be 225/50/16. I'll have to check tonight when the missus gets home.

MINE- AUII Forte

Last edited by Bushbasher; 13-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 13-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

AU 16's were most common with 215/60X16, however they did come with 215/55X16's as a standard fitament on some models. Unfortunately my memory doesn't stretch far enough to remember exactly what models had the 55 series fitted. (I seem to think the fairmont or fairlane, but I'm not swearing by that). XR's (I think) came with 225/50X16 from the factory.

15" wheels on AU's were a 205/65X15, but were only available with AU series 1. After that series, they bought out bigger brakes, so the 15" wheels wouldn't clear the calipers.

17" AU wheels had 235/45X17 fitted as standard.

As for clearance issues with 235/60X16. Don't know as I have never fitted this size to any Falcon. You might be able to get some friendly tyre shop to fit a 2nd handy up, just for clearance purposes. This size was very common on Rav 4's.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 13-02-2012 at 12:49 PM.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
15" wheels on AU's were a 205/65X15, but were only available with AU series 1. After that series, they bought out bigger brakes, so the 15" wheels wouldn't clear the calipers.

As for clearance issues with 235/60X16. Don't know as I have never fitted this size to any Falcon. You might be able to get some friendly tyre shop to fit a 2nd handy up, just for clearance purposes. This size was very common on Rav 4's.
I thought the same a while back about the 15" rims, but mine and my brothers series 2 utes have the sticker which shows 15" rims.

I had thought of zipping down to a tyre place about the 235's.
Old 13-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
After that series, they bought out bigger brakes, so the 15" wheels wouldn't clear the calipers.
this is a half-myth, some 15" wheels do clear the AUII/III stock twin piston calipers.
Old 13-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Further to the door sticker info, I just checked my Fairlane and it lists 225/60/16 as well as the 235/45/17 which came on the Sportsman.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 13-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
Kesh

Our ex police au 2 came with 215/50/R16 I think
Kesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can confirm the xr`s had 225/50/16`s, Edit: well on the series 2`s anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I think you'll find all XR's which had 16's also wore 225/50/16.
Falcon 'S' also had them.
True!

I've got a set of those S1 clover leaf XR 16" rims with 225/50/16 sitting in the shed actually. The tyre size was good actually, plenty of meat on the side to protect the rims.

Thinking of putting them back on the wagon, as the Mrs keeps whacking and scraping the left side after double night shifts. I'd be darn groggy too after such shifts, but it's murder on the rims and tyres! LOL!

Quote:
ok, i'd accept that. but it's still the case that the absolute vast majority of AUs wear 215/60/16s
Agreed!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
au adam

Ive had 2 Au ser2 utes with 15s.
au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
Sox
RIP...

Nearly 2 years later and I finally find some cheap 235/60/16 with enough tread to make this test worthwhile.

I picked up 4 Duelers for $100, will do a test fit in the next couple days and see how close that upper ball joint actually is.

If they fit, it will give me another ~12mm increase in height.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I'm just after the big look , and larger range of tyre options (soft road).
Took a long time to get your 'wheels'. BUT remember size doesn't matter , its just that you are using it !! (and no I'm not talking about wheels )

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #28
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Took a long time to get your 'wheels'. BUT remember size doesn't matter , its just that you are using it !! (and no I'm not talking about wheels )

UK
Are you saying they may give me 12mm in length too?....
Old 19-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #29
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Are you saying they may give me 12mm in length too?....
Now thats an unpleasent image (for myself I only talk in metres )
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Sox
RIP...

Well, the 235/60/16 tyres that I have here do fit an AU, and just miss the UBJ.

However, they are that close, that certain brand tyres may not, depending on the tread pattern etc.