Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-02-2024, 10:12 PM   #31
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Bank Transfer - Am I Too Suspicious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The main point of my thread was to find out whether an innocent looking email was a ploy to delay payment. If several people had piped up and said “Yes, the same happened to me”, I’d have been on the customer’s doorstep pronto.

But that didn’t happen, payment was rendered and they deserve the grace of presuming the delay was not their act.

I don’t mind cash, but if I’ve carried receipted outgoings for a job, the incoming has to be above board as well.
You should know better by now how post topics can go astray!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2024, 11:08 PM   #32
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Maybe getting cash from his customer rather than a email or transfer would have alleviated the need for this thread?
And therein is the fallacy of your argument.

Your making the assumption that if CB asked for cash they would have handed it over at his demand. But if they always had the intention of stiffing him, or scamming him - whichever way you want to put it, they could likely just have said at that time "nah, sorry, tough shit" and kicked him off their property.

Then the title of the thread would be "Went to get cash payment for my latest invoice, but the customer told me to **** off and leave their property. Now they wont answer their phone. What do I do?"

Same result, CB is left empty handed and out of pocket, doesn't matter the payment method. Getting it now???

Same with getting cleared payment prior to commencing work. Doesn't matter whether its cash or bank transfer, as long as you have legal tender in your possession that meets your demand of "work commences on payment received", then it doesn't matter what the payment method is. Anything beyond that is semantics and personal preference, which we all know what yours is.

Quote:
For the amount of them that I have handled over the last 35 years I would say yes

I once knew someone who behaved like you, worked on the cash is king mantra and carried and stored masses of cash.

He's dead now...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...ling/100383750

Someone worked out a large amount of takings for his business were in cash, because he often carried large wads of cash into town to pay his bills (fist sized rolls, it was rather impressive) and buy booze for his club. Didn't help he liked to tell people about how he ran his business.

One day a group of 3 guys decided to test how true it was. They broke into his house and tortured him, cut off his digits one by one, until he broke and gave up the location of the cash. Somewhere along the line the shot him and accidentally nicked an artery which caused him to bleed out.

Ultimately they were too stupid to enjoy the $20k they made off with, they were caught days later.

Irony was, he was 2 or 3 weeks off settling a sale of the land his golf club was on to a developer for a share of the $20m purchase price. He kinda missed out on every persons dream.

Last edited by arm79; 11-02-2024 at 11:17 PM.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2024, 11:28 PM   #33
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post

I once knew someone who behaved like you, worked on the cash is king mantra and carried and stored masses of cash.

He's dead now...

Someone worked out a large amount of takings for his business were in cash, because he often carried large wads of cash into town to pay his bills (fist sized rolls, it was rather impressive) and buy booze for his club. Didn't help he liked to tell people about how he ran his business.

One day a group of 3 guys decided to test how true it was. They broke into his house and tortured him, cut off his digits one by one, until he broke and gave up the location of the cash. Somewhere along the line the shot him and accidentally nicked an artery which caused him to bleed out.

Ultimately they were too stupid to enjoy the $20k they made off with, they were caught days later.

Irony was, he was 2 or 3 weeks off settling a sale of the land his golf club was on to a developer for a share of the $20m purchase price. He kinda missed out on every persons dream.

then you have the problem of scammers/hackers.

Quote:
Not sure how cash would have made a difference here.

Haven't seen a discount for cash in a longtime, unless you are talking dropping the GST... Which from a business perspective is starting to get a little hard.

Also I don't know why businesses would give a discount on a transaction media that is infinitely more expensive to administer. From a business perspective I can understand why businesses favor EFT only, given how ridiciously expensive it is becoming to provide cash as a payment method.

i have two parts guys that IF i pay cash - i get a discount. one you bought from. not a lot of business's prefer eft, but the buyer pays the cost of that & same with zip/afterpay = business pays & then who.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 12:15 AM   #34
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
And therein is the fallacy of your argument.

Your making the assumption that if CB asked for cash they would have handed it over at his demand. But if they always had the intention of stiffing him, or scamming him - whichever way you want to put it, they could likely just have said at that time "nah, sorry, tough shit" and kicked him off their property.

Then the title of the thread would be "Went to get cash payment for my latest invoice, but the customer told me to **** off and leave their property. Now they wont answer their phone. What do I do?"

Same result, CB is left empty handed and out of pocket, doesn't matter the payment method. Getting it now???

Same with getting cleared payment prior to commencing work. Doesn't matter whether its cash or bank transfer, as long as you have legal tender in your possession that meets your demand of "work commences on payment received", then it doesn't matter what the payment method is. Anything beyond that is semantics and personal preference, which we all know what yours is.

He's dead now...

LOL, no argument, I don't hoard or store vast amounts of cash, yes I deal in cash, pay for a lot of things in cash, and if someone wants to break in and torture me they will leave empty handed, the pic is of when I was paid cash for a car which I do quite often, and I also will pay cash for cars, but to have large amounts of cash on me all the time or in my home is stupidity and asking for trouble

We sure do have a different way of looking at life, your not wrong , but neither am I, you wont change my mind on the way cashless is taking us as much as I wont change yours on why it should be cashless, but I'm sure you will come across a day where you wish you had cash on you, I know I wont come across a day where I wish I had a card or internet connection.

We all know what your preference is, as you point out, but it does not make you right, its your opinion as much as I have mine.

Your argument also goes the other way too,

Your making the assumption that if CB asked for cash they would have not paid him. But if they always had the intention of stiffing him, or scamming him - whichever way you want to put it, they would not pay no matter what method you ask for, at least in person face to face you know where you stand, nothing like hiding on the other end of a text message or on a computer to avoid your obligation.

Last edited by prktkljokr; 12-02-2024 at 12:22 AM.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2024, 09:41 AM   #35
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
For the amount of them that I have handled over the last 35 years I would say yes

Looks like you're getting ready for a night at the rippers
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post