Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

View Poll Results: How many times has your car been on a tow truck?
0 (i wish) 248 52.21%
1 (understandable) 123 25.89%
2 (common i guess) 50 10.53%
3 (mmmmm....) 29 6.11%
4 (i hate cars!) 9 1.89%
5+ (time for a new car??) 16 3.37%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #61
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

When I had the EB, I had to get the car towed because of something I did that didnt workout. So it wasnt the cars fault but mine.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #62
NZ
~~~

Mine went for a short ride once but not because it was broken down.
I was in Colac and was pulled over for a routine check etc.

"exscuse me sir do you realise that your registration has been expired for 8 months?'

'Oh really, I didn't know that'

'I Can't let you drive this car you'll have to find another way home'

So I got this nice fine of about 500 and sat in the car a while thinking of what to do. The thought did cross my mind to just drive it but in the 15 mins I sat there the cop drove past 3 times . A few years ago I would have just driven but not now. Then I thought the cop did say I'd have to get it towed so I rang the place that had done a smash repair on the car as I knew they did 24hr towing. I got the guy to come out while I ran to the ATM and got some cash. When he arrived I told him the story and he laughed and said it was fine to tow me out of town and drop me off. So $40 and 10 min later I was being unloaded on a side road just out of town lol.
Old 15-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #63
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB MkII
Mine went for a short ride once but not because it was broken down.
I was in Colac and was pulled over for a routine check etc.

"exscuse me sir do you realise that your registration has been expired for 8 months?'

'Oh really, I didn't know that'

'I Can't let you drive this car you'll have to find another way home'

So I got this nice fine of about 500 and sat in the car a while thinking of what to do. The thought did cross my mind to just drive it but in the 15 mins I sat there the cop drove past 3 times . A few years ago I would have just driven but not now. Then I thought the cop did say I'd have to get it towed so I rang the place that had done a smash repair on the car as I knew they did 24hr towing. I got the guy to come out while I ran to the ATM and got some cash. When he arrived I told him the story and he laughed and said it was fine to tow me out of town and drop me off. So $40 and 10 min later I was being unloaded on a side road just out of town lol.
Had your rego really expired 8 months ago?
Old 15-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #64
NZ
~~~

at the time yes
Old 15-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #65
THORNSPAWN
In the Forced 'lane

I've only had a car towed once and it was most definately broken.
I went the other way in an ambulance. :(
Old 17-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #66
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

I broke traction. It was on a toll road. I aqua planed then did 4-5 360 spins went on to the median strip and nocked out 2 reflector post then hit the big sign that said REDUCE SPEED

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 17-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #67
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
....then hit the big sign that said REDUCE SPEED
thats what the signs their for... ROFL.
Old 19-01-2005, 12:28 AM   #68
DentEd XR8

I had the EA towed twice, once the TFI module died, the other time we put some thermo fans on it and we were driving around and they stopped working and I was really ****ed due to some other issues and I kept driving it around until the overflow tank blew up and the engine stopped, wouldnt restart, got it towed it home and started first go the next day

The EF has been towed 4 times, once after my horific accident to my workshop, from the workshop to my house, from my house to the panel beaters then back from the panel beaters, hope this car never sees a tow truck again
Old 19-01-2005, 03:39 AM   #69
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

1. Ed dropped fan belt
2. wrote off ed took it home
3. Too much redlining dads eb in neutral then slapping it into drive

the ef has been bulletproof so far...............
Old 19-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #70
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Going through my pictures folder I just stumbled across this sad sight :(

Old 24-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #71
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

3 for me..
Oil pickup cracked & fell into sump 200k's from Perth.
Clutch pedal clip thing snapped in mid traffic.
Showing off @ one of Perths busiest streets blew diff & had to push car thru traffic lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 24-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #72
HOON69
Banned

broken things but ysed a tow once ever..

most were roadside fixes as of 4am tom'w it will be twice but not cause its broken(off for mods ;) )

hopefully wont ever need one again (doubtful on that )
Old 28-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #73
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Once. Good old EA.

Broke down near Parklands exit on the Sunny Coast. RACQ got it going then I got to Cooroy and did the same thing again. Distributor and ignition coil. Towing was free, repairs were absolutely ****ed. $385.

Joining RACQ was the best thing I did last year.
Old 28-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #74
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

well mine just went up to 6 :togo: one one wednesday and another today, not cool....
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
Old 30-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #75
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

none of my cars have been on a tow truck yet...
my old ea was becoming a pest but i always managed to fix it on the side of the road and once got racv in,but now since i upgraded to the ed it's been reliable as ever, just cost me 8g's to get up and running at the start, and now i hope the 8 grand pays off with not annoying me for another few years:P
Old 31-01-2005, 08:53 AM   #76
Bass Crazy

My car was on the back of a tow truck 4 days after the T5 went in. My newly rebuilt diff let out one hell of a bang!

The other time was when the dizzy shit it's self. CBF working on it at my mates house.. so she got towed home.

So that makes 2 for me
Old 11-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #77
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Three for me. Once in the Falcon...fuel pump...and twice in the bloody commo that I used to drive. Bloody useless POS that thing was!!!!! :
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397

Last edited by RG; 12-03-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #78
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i chose once (tecnicality) after my XE S pack had an engine bay fire(electrical)
i have had to use a tow rope a few times and also got a car trailer a couple of times. twice the XE had the contact wear down to nothing in the dizzy cap, once crashed into a gutter and bent caster rod,lower arm and broke tie rod end. and once had overheating V8 falcon that stalled on the freeway(buggered if i know why) and when i tried to crank it: NOTHING, coincidently the starter wire had fallen off also. when i got it home i checked it wasn't seized(first assumption) and then checked the starter, the bloody thing started after that. i i had a tow truck for every time i could not drive home it would be probably ten times
Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #79
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

twice.

Once for transport to my hosue when i picked it up.

And today when my diff let go halfway up a hill with about 15 cars behind me (single lane)!
Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 PM   #80
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

Zilch! ...for now *shifty eyes*

I've probably jinxed myself now!
'XA Muscle'

Old 12-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #81
STOKEB
NOS Induction pssssshhhhh

ive had about 7 tow truck trips with my car once at chapel when my pedal box broke, 2nd when i blew my t5 up. 3rd taking the car to the work shop to get the new t5 put in, 4th blew the diff, 5th blew the diff, 6th snapped a water pump belt late at night didnt have a spear one 7th when i had an accedent smashed the front of the car lol. Ive had my fun with tow trucks.
STOKEB - 3:7 diff gears, 3inch zorst, JMM Race Series Extractors, Custom Bottom end to suit N20, AU DEV 6 Head and Cam, Cold Air Intake, ED XR6 Manual Computer with Flash Tunner, ED XR6 Fuel reg, C10 Auto, 2800stall .
---------------------------------------------------
I LiVe My LiFe A bOtTlE aT a TiMe, FoR tHoSe 200 sQuIrTs I fEeL fReE.........pssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by STOKEB; 12-03-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #82
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

once last sat night, went to mc suds clean engine bay and the coil decided to shit its self. apart from that i have had a great run out of it

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 12-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #83
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

EA, 7 years and never a problem.
I caused one with the ED last night and had to walk home from work at 2am (its only a 1km walk though)
Stuffed some fuses and smartlock issue and just left i at work.
All fixed now though, just had to wait til 8am when super cheap opened.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:13 AM   #84
MrQuan
Social Disaster

zilch.

Always seem to find a way to drive it home - even if only at walking pace :yeees:

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:08 PM   #85
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Never been towed, never been on a towtruck! The longest period the EB has been undrivable for was about 4 hours, while Pilch & I were fitting the BA shifter. I have driven it though without the use of a shifter (tugging on the cable to change gears while shifter installation was incomplete), and in limp home mode (when I popped a fuse - my fault)

She puts up with a lot of crap!

The closest I've come to calling a tow truck was when the fuel pump relay had packed in for about 50 minutes and I was in the middle of a shopping centre carpark (blocking traffic). I'm amazed the starter motor still works after that episode! As for RACV putting you on hold for AGES when you're on a mobile... Not happy! I hung up & just proceded to f**k the starter until the relay decided to work (which was totally unrelated, but abusing the car made me feel good about it at least)

-Dave-
Old 03-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #86
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have lost count! let me put it this way, its so many times, that the tow truck driver knows me on a first name basis!! :P
from what i can remember, the things that i have killed since i took posession of this barge are:-
1x Torn tailshaft
3x Diffs
1x Head Gasket
1x transmition
3x sets of tyres
1x alternator
1x steering rack
2x full sets of disk brakes
1x right upper control arm, camber kit
1x right front alloy wheel
and thats all in the space of three years just about. i should be proud! :
Old 03-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #87
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Twice for me.

1. New alternator belt was put on but not tight enough so it came off?!?
2. Day of the floods in Melbourne.

Brings a tear to my eye.

It only costs me $50- each time I get my car towed and it would be approximately the same distance from Gladstone Park to Airport West!!

Third time will be coming up next week when I move house.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #88
Dezza
Parts bin special

Once for me, and a second trip on the car trailer.
About 9 days after I got the EA, I hit another car. It was at night, the radiator was stuffed and only one headlight globe remained. The panel damage was nasty as well, with the bumper torn in half and the bonnet bent up so it was taken to the closest panel beaters on the back of the truck. A few days later my dad picked it up on the car trailer and took it to my uncles where it spent two months off the road getting half the front replaced.

It was a sad sight seeing the car I had had for such a short time being loaded onto the back of the truck with a smashed in front. I've now had it for 3 years since and the only mechanical problem (not including power windows or a thermostat) was when the compressor for the self-levelling suspension started up and filled the shocks completely to the max with air. It was still drivable but wasn't too comfy, as it just bounced every time it hit a bump

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #89
John_LS1

The only car ive ever had on a tow truck....

Old 05-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #90
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

yeah once for me cause the smartlock bcm was ****ed
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Closed Thread