Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Mowing ..

Now for something a bit different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeSGmiiPDmQ .. Ah , those were the days and who said you couldn't buy a brand new Mustang in this country before now eh ...

As a little tacker I can remember Dad's old wind up start mower with the ratchet and lever. We had that Victa for yonks and he ended up putting a chord on it when the starter failed . It'd rev it's ring off too and throw stones for miles . it was dark green ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

My second favorite subject and I'm a massive Victa fan. My grandfather had a VC Mustang for years and in fact I still have it in the shed. I don't use it, its just too old, but it still starts 1st pull of the Zip Starter in a cloud of blue smoke.

I currently have 5 Victa's and I don't care what anyone says, they give the best finish out of all the brands.

But it's the 2-stroke ones that really light my fire. I love the sound of them and I can pick one running from two blocks away

The newer Victa 2-Strokes don't Rev like the older ones, but they have an amazing ability to grunt through the tough stuff like a 4-Stroke can't.

I'll stop now before I embarrass myself

(Thanks for the post Roddy)
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I grew up using a Victa Corvette - the same ratchet & wind starter that Roddy mentioned + I also remember that the fuel cap had a built in cork float/fuel level indicator.
I did our lawns, then neighbours lawns etc for pocket money & that mower just kept on going. Eventually the ratchet starter gave up the ghost - so it became a pull start. The base fell apart & wheel axles were held on with twisted wire etc etc. Got a good 25+ years out of the old girl.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
My second favorite subject and I'm a massive Victa fan. My grandfather had a VC Mustang for years and in fact I still have it in the shed. I don't use it, its just too old, but it still starts 1st pull of the Zip Starter in a cloud of blue smoke.

I currently have 5 Victa's and I don't care what anyone says, they give the best finish out of all the brands.

But it's the 2-stroke ones that really light my fire. I love the sound of them and I can pick one running from two blocks away

The newer Victa 2-Strokes don't Rev like the older ones, but they have an amazing ability to grunt through the tough stuff like a 4-Stroke can't.

Correction, make that 6 Victa's!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post

As a little tacker I can remember Dad's old wind up start mower with the ratchet and lever. We had that Victa for yonks and he ended up putting a chord on it when the starter failed . It'd rev it's ring off too and throw stones for miles . it was dark green ..
I'd say your father might have had a Cortina model like mine did. Bought in about 1971 Id say. He also used a rope to start it when the ratchet windup mechanism broke. I still have that mower and still use it sometimes. Starts easy, smokes like hell when on idle and revs like crazy.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have a Victa.
My old man had a couple of them.
Ge had the very first toe cutter but didn't lose any toes.
He did slice through some fingers one day when he dropped his hand too close after doing something.
I remember riding on the tram with him, fingers wrapped in a hanky, going to Princess Alexandra Hospital for stitches.

I have a Husqvarna 22hp mower with a 46" cut - much more sophisticated than walking.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I'd say your father might have had a Cortina model like mine did. Bought in about 1971 Id say. He also used a rope to start it when the ratchet windup mechanism broke. I still have that mower and still use it sometimes. Starts easy, smokes like hell when on idle and revs like crazy.
That's it Tommie , It was a cortina I think now you mention it ..You're good . Thought it was a corvette but I think you're right now.

I've got nowadays , A Husqvarna 18 hp ride on with the 38" deck , a Cox Stockman 10.5 hp in bits awaiting a rebuild , a 1980's Victa that still runs that I bought very second hand at a garage sale, a Rover that I've used since 1995 from brand new , still runs perfect , a side throw newish MTD 4 stroke and a POS MDT that I bought in a weak moment that's gutless as heck Another source of pride is a fully working Villiers reel mower .Bought it off an old English immigrant for $50 .. Oh yes and Dad's Scott Bonnar that he bought to replace the aforesaid very ancient Victa mentioned in the original post .Motor seized though but won't throw it out .. Also got a Jonsered TL33 commercial brushcutter from 1994 ish that has a load governed carby that senses when under load and opens up the power as needed basically. Also an elderly Echo line trimmer owned by an uncle that needs a bit of a reno .

You guessed it , despite that armory I often find the grass is wet and a foot long before I get mowing...

The Cox Stockman was the friction drive rear engine mount , was a ripper until the cone wore down too much after about 20 years constant use . The cost of parts is horrendous but I've tracked down a few bits . Busted off one of the shaft bolts causing skinned knuckles and thrown spanners but I'll get there one day . The Husky is a beaut and a pleasure to use .

A hedge trimmer , two chainsaws and a garden tiller too.

Last edited by roddy1960; 22-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Thanks Roddy.

I read this and felt a very strong urge to mow the lawn to the point where I went and mowed it for the first time in weeks.

My wife wants to know how you did it.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
Trendseeker

I’m another Victa Mustang owner. Alloy chassis, cut ‘n mulch, about 8 years old, starts first time every time, highly recommended.
Old 22-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #10
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Correction, make that 6 Victa's!
But who's counting !!!!...

I reckon it's awesome to have a collection of Victa's and they're actually a bloody good thing . They're iconic ..We do make a pretty good mower and you're not true blue unless you've owned or used a Victa at some stage .
Old 22-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #11
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I don't have a Victa.
My old man had a couple of them.
Ge had the very first toe cutter but didn't lose any toes.
He did slice through some fingers one day when he dropped his hand too close after doing something.
I remember riding on the tram with him, fingers wrapped in a hanky, going to Princess Alexandra Hospital for stitches.

I have a Husqvarna 22hp mower with a 46" cut - much more sophisticated than walking.
Big fan of Husky's.. I love mine but I'd also love a brand new Victa lawn mower again . My Husky is about 5 years old now . Hasn't missed a beat , one battery only so far . A 22 would have some real grunt .. They're well made ..So are these Victa's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvajHi7veD0 ..

I'm thinking , I'm thinking ..
Old 22-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #12
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No idea what Victa it was, but mum bought it in 1978 and after a hard life it died in 2012. It was yellow and green and mowed the toughest grass you could throw at it. And boy was it loud.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
Ghiaman
Kinetic FG X XR8

Love a good mower! Great thread Rod.
Got a collection of reel mowers.
A couple of Scott bonnar 45's, a Qualcast and a Rover 45 which is the daily driver or every 2nd day driver at the moment.
Also have 2 Honda rotary mowers which are previously used commercially and still go strong on the odd occasion they are used.
Very fond memories of mum and dads Victa. It was a tiger I think? I just remember it having orange highlights. Also remember my uncles Rover Barron.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Ghiaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #14
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Thanks Roddy.

I read this and felt a very strong urge to mow the lawn to the point where I went and mowed it for the first time in weeks.

My wife wants to know how you did it.
Oops , but glad your better half will be looking at a freshly cut spread . Got to stay in the good books ..REALLY IMPORTANT...
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My regular mower is a Victa Commando, 94 model. Installed a new carby kit last year, still runs like new. Must say though, it uses heaps more fuel than the older 71 Cortina but feels like it has heaps more hp
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiaman View Post
Love a good mower! Great thread Rod.
Got a collection of reel mowers.
A couple of Scott bonnar 45's, a Qualcast and a Rover 45 which is the daily driver or every 2nd day driver at the moment.
Also have 2 Honda rotary mowers which are previously used commercially and still go strong on the odd occasion they are used.
Very fond memories of mum and dads Victa. It was a tiger I think? I just remember it having orange highlights. Also remember my uncles Rover Barron.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
At work we use Honda 4 strokes . Using one today actually , really nice , start well , well made .

My Rover only has the nylon bush wheels , is 23 years old or so and is pretty good in that regard . Mine is a base model ..Better ones had ballrace wheels even then . She's 50 to 1 fuel mix too . Does smoke a bit now but still cuts like the 4 stroke won't in heavy wet going . Four strokes are okay though ..
Old 22-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #17
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
My regular mower is a Victa Commando, 94 model. Installed a new carby kit last year, still runs like new. Must say though, it uses heaps more fuel than the older 71 Cortina but feels like it has heaps more hp
Oh yes , the Commando ..They were a popular Victa if ever there was ..
Old 22-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #18
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Thanks for the pic's ..That little black utility style Victa you showed REALLY floats my boat ..What a beauty ..Sweet..
Old 22-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #19
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Anybody here gone down the battery powered mower path yet , or electric for that matter .

I understand the battery pack ones especially are getting more popular . Kinda sorta a bit like cars with petrol-diesel versus hybrid-electric I suppose .

Love to know whether you'd ever consider something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkU6hj8Ed0 ..
Old 22-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Good thread !
I love my lawns and used to do them for the ol man loved it.
Must be motors.
Had a victa commando for around 25yrs, rippa ol girl but it did finally die.
I do like 2strokes as well but I always did admire Briggsys.
So I finally got one about 2yrs ago.
Starts first pull, is a beast and does cut through long grass as good as 2's imo.
Trouble though GUD Holding sold out Victa long ago and Briggs is on any chassis nowadays.
I don't rate the Victas as they once were.
Hondas, top shelf product imo today for surburbia I'm talking.
They ask good coin for them thats for sure.
Fed the lawns about 3 1/2 wks ago, that Sydney rain was perfect timing, my lawn is brilliant right now and gave it first spring cut Saturday.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #21
.:4:.
Kicking back

Battery powered no. Electric, sort of. My dad bought an electric in the 2000s and it was crap. Trailing a lead around creates its own issues. But battery power is not what it was back then. Brushless motors and stuff from my experience with the power tools i have is worlds ahead of what it was. I took the advice from my grandpa on mowers when i bought mine in 2010. I dont remember what chassis his was, it wasnt a victa but it was powered by a Briggs and stratton. The advice from my father in law was a bit sketchy. He had 2 victa v60s and neither would start first attempt. He'd waste an hour on 1, flood that, waste an hour on the other, flood that then the first would start. So i went 4 stroke on my grandpas advice and the 158cc briggs powered victa vantage i still have starts first pull. 3 pumps of the primer bulb and give it a minute to get into its happy place and shes apples. So the argument they dont make em like they used to is kind of false.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #22
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Anybody here gone down the battery powered mower path yet , or electric for that matter .

I understand the battery pack ones especially are getting more popular . Kinda sorta a bit like cars with petrol-diesel versus hybrid-electric I suppose .

Yeah, I would consider battery - for a number of reasons.

I normally get home from work and do the lawns in the cool of the evening during summer. It gets annoying when you are rushing to get it done before the sun goes down and you realise you have no fuel. With battery, if you keep it charged you can plug it into the mower and off you go.

Also, no more petrol fumes in the shed.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #23
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Bro inlaw bought whatever mega electric brand with back up batteries as you would and whippa and blowa.
Loves it - I'd seen the mower running has mega powa and the blower really strong.
Old 23-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #24
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Big fan of Husky's.. I love mine but I'd also love a brand new Victa lawn mower again . My Husky is about 5 years old now . Hasn't missed a beat , one battery only so far . A 22 would have some real grunt .. They're well made ..So are these Victa's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvajHi7veD0 ..

I'm thinking , I'm thinking ..

The 2246 mows with ease. The only thing I did was swap the solid blades for swingbacks.
The cruise control makes me really lazy!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #25
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve gone with an electric blower. Doesn’t perform as well as the old two-stroke, but that could be down the the different noxxle design.
The two stroke was getting to be a b to start, and keep running. I don’t like “small engine” work, so off loaded it. 144 is the smallest I’ll go ;-)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #26
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

ive got a mate who uses all the sthil electric gear, he does landscaping and maintenance in mosman and the clients love how quiet it is, he said its not as good as the petrol gear but when trimming hedges for 8 hours you finish with no head ache, no fumes blowing into your face and his arms aren't sore, he said quite a few blokes in the area are using the gear now for those reasons, not to mention caring a electric mower down 200 odd stairs and through houses is much easier
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #27
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pffft..to hell with pushing mowers around.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #28
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Ride on waste of time in surburbia unless your on acreage.
My bro is on 5acres, its lovely but you know what, as much as I enjoy working in my gardens/lawns feck that being a slave to the land.
Old 23-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #29
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Ride on waste of time in surburbia unless your on acreage.
My bro is on 5acres, its lovely but you know what, as much as I enjoy working in my gardens/lawns feck that being a slave to the land.
I'm in suburbia, but I'm on 1466 sq mtrs.

With the ride-on I can mow in less than an hour, edges included.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #30
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm banning batteries from my life but what I'm using now is Ozito 240V mains powered lawnmower, edger and whipper snipper on a Buffalo lawn.
So far so good after 12 Months, nice and quiet, very light and no hassles with the lead at all. Also got a ryobi 240V blower that packs a lot of punch.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: