Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-01-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
jamef
EFXR custom

Default 5.0lt transplant into 4lt EF

Have searched threads with no success. Looking for Tech info in doing a 5.0 litre swap for my 4 litre EF 6cyl with BTR 4 speed auto.
Would like to know what has to be changed to accomodate the 5ltr V8.
Will a 5ltr from an AU fit ?
Are the EF, EL and AU 5ltr windsors the same in mounts etc ?.
Which harnesses need to be replaced ?.
Does the front cross member stay etc. Any info would be appreciated. Realise this will be a big job but the Falc is half way thru full ground up rebuild, Paint interior etc.

Many thanks

jamef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

easiest thing to do would be to buy a written off 5.0 EF and transfer everything over.

au 5.0 is the same block as an EF 5.0. same mounts. different heads and manifold.

its not an overly large job if you have a donor car.
Old 23-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

There is no doco because it's cheaper and easier to sell the I6 and buy a V8.
You have Mechanicals to swap (inc trans, k frame and suspension) also the electrics (sensors, ECU both engine and trans). Wires have to be re run. You will need new cluster for the tacho. Don't forget new exhaust!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been doing my research for the past year and a half as i will eventually be doing the same to my EF Fairmont. I've found that if you go about it the right way its a relatively easy swap... i.e ensure your donor car/part are of the same level (low,mid, high series).

The AU parts will physically fit however i'm not too sure about the electronic side of things. All the V8 wiring such as the engine loom, transmission loom need to be carried over, including the engine and transmission ECUs (V8s have a seperate controller for the auto). The crossmember is the same between I6 and V8 and you'll need to change to the engine mounts, V8 specific rear mount for the box, power steering lines, radiator hoses, throttle cable etc etc. The V8s also had higher rate front springs and the tacho worked at a different frequency.

I can put together a proper list of what needs to be changed if you want?
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

if you go an au 5.0 use an ef distributor, as the au runs coil packs. my ef has an au 5.0 in it, but my car was already a v8 car.
Old 23-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
jamef
EFXR custom

Thanks guys for the replies. Thought most things in the I6 and V8 were similar. Trying to read the Ford factory manual and make sense of it is hard. Have looked into going further with the I6 but just cant get away from the v8. Previously had EL XR8 but wanted a project so looked for an EF with good body etc.

Chich, would appreciate the list if its not too much trouble. Have my eye out for an EF,EL v8 but in WA seems to not be very many wrecked ones around. Wanted to try and use a AU 5.0ltr due to lower kms.
Thanks jamie.
95 EF 4.0ltr Tickford, BTR 4spd, Wade cam,Pacemaker race series extr, XR Body kit, EL GT rear wing, Custom interior and paint, Alpine-Rockford 1500w system Infinity splits front rear. Proposed EL XR front end.
Old 23-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
347Stroker
Banned

Conversion is easy, K frames are identical, just need 8 mounts, engines and bay harness, and computer.
All exhaust engine etc are easy to source. It realistically is a weekend job, and if you were in brisbane would do it for you.
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #8
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamef
Thanks guys for the replies. Thought most things in the I6 and V8 were similar. Trying to read the Ford factory manual and make sense of it is hard. Have looked into going further with the I6 but just cant get away from the v8. Previously had EL XR8 but wanted a project so looked for an EF with good body etc.

Chich, would appreciate the list if its not too much trouble. Have my eye out for an EF,EL v8 but in WA seems to not be very many wrecked ones around. Wanted to try and use a AU 5.0ltr due to lower kms.
Thanks jamie.
If you've got the manual i recommend you go through it from start to finish.. i did this and it really opened my eyes in regards to the size of the task and what exactly was required. I know what you mean about not being able to step away from the V8.. i'm in exactly the same boat. Can't bring myself to part with the car, i want a windsor (IMO the boss sounds like a vacuum cleaner) and i don't want a six - the only option is to convert the thing and spend a bucket load doing it up! :

I'll draft up a list in excel over the weekend and post it up.. that way everyone else can take a peak and also add anything that i may have forgotten as well.

347stroker, you wanna come down to Melb and do mine? :Reverend:
Old 23-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #9
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something else i just remembered.. using an EL donor car may present some problems for you. I was looking into using an EL XR8 conversion kit however the pin outs on the instrument cluster and a few other small things differ. Off the top of my head i can't remember if this was due to the fact that the XR8 uses a mid-series BCM or whether this was a general EL thing. Take a look at the wiring diagrams in the manual and the differences should be apparent.
Old 23-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

It isn't THAT hard. Myself and Darin (fairmont1998, thanks to Walkinshaw for a hand with the kframe, and montyv8 for a lend of a crane and jack, etc...) converted my ED GLi 6cyl wagon to 5.0lt Windsor...

I purchased a 5.0lt NCII wreck to be the parts mule, all that was required to swap it and make it work were:

- V8 kframe (6cyl kframe is NOT the same as V8, at least on ED because the engine mounts go on totally different
- Obviously the V8 and trans. The cross members are identical from V8 to 6cyl on the back of the trans and go in place no worries.
- Change the looms, that just means take the dash off, remove the engine bay looms, and swap with the v8 looms.
- Put dash on, plug back in, put ecu in and off you go.

Unfortunately, there is alot less that needs to change from ED 6cyl to ED V8 than in an EF/L. The job is made easier in ED because all the looms are easily removable and they all sit inside the engine bay. As well as the radiator from 6cyl to V8 is exactly the same.

So in reality, all you need is an exhaust hooked up and off you go. It is particularly easy, and cheap if you find a cheap wreck like i did!

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #11
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Oh as for clusters. on EF/L clusters are all the same from 6cyl to V8 as they just take a feed from the ECU, so they dont need to be replaced.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
Old 23-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #12
347Stroker
Banned

And in EF/L K frames are IDENTICAL
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 11:50 PM   #13
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, I helped Chris convert the wagon, and it really is straightforward. It is time consuming, but easy enough.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
jamef
EFXR custom

Thanks for the offer 347 Stroker shame not in BNE. Thanks hope has been restored. Car is now totally stripped ready for paint. Now know the hassels with the harnesess plugs inside the car. Will save some $$$ and start visiting some auctions etc.
Anyone know what differences there were with the standard 5.0 and the Fairmonts/Fairlanes, XR8s eg induction, ECU. I Do know that the series 2 EL XR's had the induction from the US Explorer 5.0 to make it up to the 185kw. Realise that there are obvious diff with the model runs eg EF, EL. Am I better to look for an EF type model or is the swap just as easy with the EL models. The car is a rolling shell now so there is nothing to remove.

Thanks
95 EF 4.0ltr Tickford, BTR 4spd, Wade cam,Pacemaker race series extr, XR Body kit, EL GT rear wing, Custom interior and paint, Alpine-Rockford 1500w system Infinity splits front rear. Proposed EL XR front end.
Old 24-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
Brent79

I think yer all CRAZY! Is fuel getting cheaper? Hmmm maybe im just Pov. LOL

Brent
Tickford Head and Wade 1004 cam
HP4 Chiptorque chip and XH intake

1992 DC LTD
5LTR DUEL FUEL
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #16
EA2BA
PM me if you want

ef/el all the same as far as body, k-frame, etc etc

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #17
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

You will want to just get an EF wreck, it saves alot of hasseling around because EF and EL looms are different...

As for the differences, there is no difference in the V8 in any EF and EL apart from EL update (or series 2 if you prefer) XR8, and EL GT.

EF and EL looms don't like to be mixed together either. So you are probably just best off either getting EF XR8 or NF Fairlane...

Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #18
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamef

Thanks jamie.

Havn't forgotten about the list.. been really busy.. i'll try finish it off this w.e!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #19
jamef
EFXR custom

Chich No probs no hurry been to 3 Insurance auctions but all 5.0's seem to have pretty bad front end damage. Guess its just a patience game wait for a good Fairmont.
Old 19-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #20
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jamie, apologies dude. I havn't forgotten about the list just been flat out playing tourist guide for the familia on holidays (i've had enough, go home dammit!). Couldn't figure out how to post in pm so i'll post what i've got to date. Its still a work in progress - I need to look at the electronics section a little more but i suppose this is a good starting point...
Old 23-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #21
Falcon Freak
Banned

Hey chich - JFDI!!!!!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post