Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 13-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Oscar of Markoz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Can't edit my previous posts in my own thread

Hi there
I have posted up a thread in the Projects section and I can't get back in to edit my previous posts. I want to change the links to my pics as they are now hosted on a different host. But I can't find the option to edit my posts.

Thanks
Oscar

Oscar of Markoz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Oscar

There is a time period set where one can edit their own posts.

Please either create another post with the relevant links or send one of the admins or moderators a PM and we will change the posts as requested.

Thanks
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
rodderz

Oscar, PM me the links and what post you want them put in, and I'll add it into them if you want
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
There is a time period set where one can edit their own posts.
Why is there a time limit? How long is this time limit?

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

The time limit is in place to ensure that information is not changed at random. 20 minutes I believe
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Oscar of Markoz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks rodderz, I'll sort out my info and pass it onto you later on. Thanks for that, I appreciate it
Old 13-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Why is there a time limit? How long is this time limit?

FF
Imagine a "discussion" that follows logical lines. One side is made to look a fool or something so the other side just edits their original post. It could go on forever with each side making changes to posts that were originally posted days ago.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

This is old news people come on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
This is old news people come on...
What was the point of this? The thread was posted today!

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 13-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
old news that you can only edit for 20 mins, not that this thread is old news......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
old news that you can only edit for 20 mins, not that this thread is old news......
Hahahaha, Oh, the shame! :

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 13-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
Some of us were not aware of the 20 minute time limit. So it is new news for us.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #14
Oscar of Markoz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously I wasn't aware as Iam able to edit on many other forums. This is the only one Iam a member of that has a time limit.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #15
LimeGlaze
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is it possible to have a permanent editing feature in one section only - classifieds? I often add and remove items for sale or wanted as I buy or sell to keep the first post up to date, and concise. the ability to edit would also reduce the bumping of ads that don't need it (ie, infoming of a sale)?
LimeGlaze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #16
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeGlaze
is it possible to have a permanent editing feature in one section only - classifieds? I often add and remove items for sale or wanted as I buy or sell to keep the first post up to date, and concise. the ability to edit would also reduce the bumping of ads that don't need it (ie, infoming of a sale)?
you private message a moderator with the changes that you want made and they do it for you....
Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #17
LimeGlaze
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like taking two steps back to make one forward - I'm sure mods have better things to do with their net time, and surely we can be trusted to mod our own posts in this section?!

Is the facility there to allow it, regardless of whether it is enacted or not?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #18
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeGlaze
Sounds like taking two steps back to make one forward - I'm sure mods have better things to do with their net time, and surely we can be trusted to mod our own posts in this section?!

Is the facility there to allow it, regardless of whether it is enacted or not?
Some food for thought. Just say you wished to buy a product off a said member for a certain price, and later they edited their price lists. There has been a number of instances of the internet being used for 'scams' like this.
We put these measures in place in an attempt to prevent AFF from being used in such scams, although as you point out it does mean more work for the moderation team.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
, although as you point out it does mean more work for the moderation team.
im sure our friendly moderation team dont mind mate......afterall its part of their job.......
Old 07-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #20
LimeGlaze
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't value that argument as a valid reason for the current setup though - aside example of the person out there to scam. Everyone has a right to alter their price for their goods offered - mostly it's an alteration lower than the original price, the fact that you can't simply alter your first post to not only adjust price, but also include infomation that may be beneficial to buyers, or frequently asked further down a thread, to me is a step backwards. I've never bought or sold anything with out either calling, PM'ing or emailling for confirmation of price, location and freight details, so there other ways of covering your backside from unexpected price fluctuations. Having said that, I don't think a person who quotes a price higher than asking price will do too good on the internet these days, given the acid tongues of some uses either?! I quote Ferris Bueller - "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it!"

I will also admit, I've never included prices in my threads, but I'm quite happy to forward a PM or email with contact details for me, and price to the buyer, surely a messege from a seller with those things set as they have typed them should be sufficient protection, along with a bit of common sense when buying in a situation where you can't exchange goods for payment instantly?!

I'd also put forward a proposition that being unable to edit posts can help spread misinfomation. I've had it happen once - when discussing a FWD to RWD conversion on another forum - went into great detail about how to do it, and forgot to mention the block I'd used. I logged off, went to bed and then came back next day to half a page of conflicting arguments for and against. I adjusted the first post with an edit (and cited why I had edited it) and everyone in Smurfland was happy again! I think we'll all agree, a concise introductory post to a thread is so much easier to read and follow than a thread of several pages where you have to wade through the dribble to get the good info?

I'm not ****ty at the situation, but I can see that it can be done better, so I welcome your replies and commnets
Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #21
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

I didn't realise that I was supposed to arguing a for or against case. You asked why we have adopted the policy that we have(in time limiting when a post can be edited) & I provided you with one of the reasons.
In furtherance to this - an edited post does not show up as a new post which means that users that use the view new posts feature will not know if a post has been edited since they last read it.
I will however put your 'suggestion' to the other administration team members for deliberation.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post