Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Technical Area

Old 15-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Nicholas53
Starter Motor

Default ICC not working

Hi I'm new to this forum I have a BF xr6 mk2. The radio doesn't come on the, controls for the vents, and the aircon controls aren't working either the hole unit is dead. Can anyone tell me what could be the possible cause.
Nicholas53 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: ICC not working

If you slightly turn the key switch, do they come on?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check fuses with a test light
Was it working previously
Have you had ICC out
Check accessory relay in interior fuse box
Does radio work but no display if so push and hold main power button for 5-10 seconds
Try disconnecting main plug into front of interior fuse box and reconnecting
Try removing icc reset plug at rear by pulling it towards you slightly and refitting
Does everything else work ie. wipers flashers etc.
Do reverse lights work
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
Nicholas53
Starter Motor

The wipers and flashers do work. The reverse lights don't work but they havent worked since I had the car. There is a problem with the TCM but the radio was working then. Will check the accessory relay. Fuses are all ok.
Old 17-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas53 View Post
The wipers and flashers do work. The reverse lights don't work but they havent worked since I had the car. There is a problem with the TCM but the radio was working then. Will check the accessory relay. Fuses are all ok.
Double check reverse fuse with a test light
Old 18-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Could be the motherboard in the back of the ICC (The central dash unit with the radio, A/C buttons, screen, etc). The solder joints on the board start to seperate/dislodge/corrode /whatever the technical term is ... and things stop working.

I've replaced a few ICC's over the years (in different cars) when this has started happening... but late last year we decided to have a go at fixing one instead.

I took the ICC out, and pulled the motherboard out of the big rectangular metal box at the back of it (not the CD player... but the one with the big main plug on it)... then I gave it to my mate James who's good with electronic boards... and he touch soldered all the solder joints on the board... then I re-installed it and put the ICC bac together.

That was around Sept last year and everything is still working reliably

Before you try this yourself, just note that the car won't start once the ICC has been removed ( I've got other cars, so didn't matter for me). I've also got a couple of spare ICC's (kept some previous stuffed ones) so I had back up.

If you choose to fit another ICC, you'll probably need to get it security coded to the car (though, sometimes you can be lucky it just works). Car will start but the rest won't work until it's coded.

Good luck sorting your issue

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
Nicholas53
Starter Motor

Thanks for pointing me the right direction will try that I have a spare unit at home. also have another vehicle so I can give it a go will let you know how it turns out.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas53 View Post
Thanks for pointing me the right direction will try that I have a spare unit at home. also have another vehicle so I can give it a go will let you know how it turns out.
Replace icc and push am and menu buttons at same time will allow you to test for about 5 minutes until programming is done with a scan tool remember to reset plug at rear by pulling towards you slightly
change the bem at bottom of original icc into new icc if you want it to start
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
Nicholas53
Starter Motor

I replaced the main board as you suggested and it all works fine now. Thanks for the tip really pleased with the result.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2020, 12:12 AM   #10
road rash
Starter Motor

Default Ford Falcon BA shorting out the ICC. Urgent help needed

Hi everyone, I have been installing/programming ICCs in falcons BA BF and FG series and Territory SX SY series.

Recently encountered a weird problem.

A guy came for dead ICC replacement for his BA XT falcon.

I installed another unit which didn't work either. I decided to install a tested working unit from my own territory to make sure that the unit being installed is fully working.

Event that unit didn't work.

At this point the owner of the car disclosed that he had bought another working ICC and tried to install but didn't work. So, he installed it back in the original car from which it came but unit was dead or in simple words unit was killed by his BA Falcon.

I was sure that his car has burnt 2 of my ICCs also.

To verify that I installed my previously working unit back into my territory and it was dead as expected. No display, now switches working.

I was left with 2 of my units rendered useless by his BA along with 2 hours of time.

Story didn't end here. Now I've tried another tested working unit in my territory but still the no display and none of the switches working.

I suspect that the BA Falcon may have a faulty BCM which is causing some voltage surge killing the ICCs.

But have no clue about my own Territory as even another tested working ICC is not working in it.

Before I start to replace and program the BCM in my territory I would appreciate the inputs from experts.

I have a few spare BCMs and ICCs, professional scan tool and tools for repairing motherboard if needed.

Thanks in advance.
road rash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Falcon BA shorting out the ICC. Urgent help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by road rash View Post
Hi everyone, I have been installing/programming ICCs in falcons BA BF and FG series and Territory SX SY series.

Recently encountered a weird problem.

A guy came for dead ICC replacement for his BA XT falcon.

I installed another unit which didn't work either. I decided to install a tested working unit from my own territory to make sure that the unit being installed is fully working.

Event that unit didn't work.

At this point the owner of the car disclosed that he had bought another working ICC and tried to install but didn't work. So, he installed it back in the original car from which it came but unit was dead or in simple words unit was killed by his BA Falcon.

I was sure that his car has burnt 2 of my ICCs also.

To verify that I installed my previously working unit back into my territory and it was dead as expected. No display, now switches working.

I was left with 2 of my units rendered useless by his BA along with 2 hours of time.

Story didn't end here. Now I've tried another tested working unit in my territory but still the no display and none of the switches working.

I suspect that the BA Falcon may have a faulty BCM which is causing some voltage surge killing the ICCs.

But have no clue about my own Territory as even another tested working ICC is not working in it.

Before I start to replace and program the BCM in my territory I would appreciate the inputs from experts.

I have a few spare BCMs and ICCs, professional scan tool and tools for repairing motherboard if needed.

Thanks in advance.
Check reverse lights work
Check pins on rear of icc haven’t bent over
Old 04-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
road rash
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Check reverse lights work
Check pins on rear of icc haven’t bent over
Thanks mate. No bent pins and reverse lights working.

Car starts fine, centre locking works, interior lights do come on and off. But none of the switches on ICC itself is working.
road rash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Pull the ICC out and see if any of the terminals in the plug on the dash have been pushed out of the back of the plug by a bent pin on the first faulty ICC. Main pins to check are the B+ on the bottom edge far right and the acc and ign feeds on the top row near the centre of the centre section of the plug and the ground wire above the B+ power wire on the right hand edge. The main thing I would be looking at is the B+ feed as radio should work in key-less mode without acc or ign and it should earth through the side brackets upper bolts and the antenna module if the earth pin is gone. If all the terminals are in place the next thing is to see if there is power on the B+ terminal. Good luck. MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #14
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by road rash View Post
Thanks mate. No bent pins and reverse lights working.

Car starts fine, centre locking works, interior lights do come on and off. But none of the switches on ICC itself is working.
Have you checked all of your fuses ?

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2022, 06:29 AM   #15
Tomb
Starter Motor

Did u get it fixed? I was told by auto elect that console has to be replaced. An earlier thread said someone resoldered the points on the motherboard. I had a solar inverter which electrician said needed throwing out(including panels). Found someone who resolders the boards. Saved thousands. still working after 3 years
Tomb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #16
Dez096
Starter Motor

Hey guys I’m pretty new to the ford forums just got accepted in thank god I did!! I’m having some trouble with a bf xr8 icc pretty much it was working a few days ago and it was working fine kinda cut in and out but as soon as I smacked the side it would start working again, after a while it completely stopped on me I pulled out the icc and checked all connections were correct and everything looked fine replaced all fuses and relays and that still did nothing at all. Would like to know if there is a certain sequence to put the plugs back in also I’ve put in rear speakers because the car never did come with any and I didn’t earth them would that be causing a short? Also did take out the icc with the battery connected if that would mess with it to? Thanks!!
Dez096 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 08:51 PM   #17
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez096 View Post
Hey guys I’m pretty new to the ford forums just got accepted in thank god I did!! I’m having some trouble with a bf xr8 icc pretty much it was working a few days ago and it was working fine kinda cut in and out but as soon as I smacked the side it would start working again, after a while it completely stopped on me I pulled out the icc and checked all connections were correct and everything looked fine replaced all fuses and relays and that still did nothing at all. Would like to know if there is a certain sequence to put the plugs back in also I’ve put in rear speakers because the car never did come with any and I didn’t earth them would that be causing a short? Also did take out the icc with the battery connected if that would mess with it to? Thanks!!

Hi.

sounds like the pins at the back have 'broken' away from the motherboard & need to be resoldered [the ones that plug into the white socket in the dash]. re speakers - don't earth them. re battery .... i always disconnect the battery so there is no issues when actually disconnecting/removing the ICC/BEM, nor any problems when reconnecting the ICC/BEM.

Cheers
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #18
Dez096
Starter Motor

Just to make sure I’m thinking of the right pins but as soon as the icc comes out your talking about the connector plug to the actual icc unit? If so I checked them pins they are absolutely fine but if you mean the actual motherboard on the icc?? I’ve tested it all like the plugs on the bottom of the icc they all give power and it all lights up just nothing on it works, sorry just making sure before I go pulling out a motherboard and soldering. Thanks
Dez096 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #19
Tomb
Starter Motor

I went to auto electrician. They had the exact same model there.alternative was to send it away to be resolderef for around 300 to watch 400
Tomb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #20
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez096 View Post
Just to make sure I’m thinking of the right pins but as soon as the icc comes out your talking about the connector plug to the actual icc unit? If so I checked them pins they are absolutely fine but if you mean the actual motherboard on the icc?? I’ve tested it all like the plugs on the bottom of the icc they all give power and it all lights up just nothing on it works, sorry just making sure before I go pulling out a motherboard and soldering. Thanks

you mentioned thumping the side of it .. hence why i mentioned the motherboad/pins.
Old 28-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #21
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's lots of waffling in this video, but it shows repair of the problem mad2 describes, which is starting to become common with age.

Skip to 13:40 to where he starts the repair.

Also make sure the while plug in the dash itself is properly reset before reinstalling the ICC. By reset I mean locked into place and cant be pushed back into the dash.

If you can push the plug into the dash then pull it towards you and you should hear a click and it lock in place. Then it shouldn't be able to be pushed back in.

If its not reset then it wont mate properly with the ICC and sometimes give you the problems you're experiencing.

The ICC should also slide in with very little effort. No bangs, clunks, noises or force are necessary.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #22
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Also make sure the while plug in the dash itself is properly reset before reinstalling the ICC. By reset I mean locked into place and cant be pushed back into the dash.

If you can push the plug into the dash then pull it towards you and you should hear a click and it lock in place. Then it shouldn't be able to be pushed back in.

If its not reset then it wont mate properly with the ICC and sometimes give you the problems you're experiencing.

The ICC should also slide in with very little effort. No bangs, clunks, noises or force are necessary.

it locks on both sides of that plug. so when pulled out make sure both sides are locked not just one.
Old 17-04-2023, 09:55 AM   #23
Ba ford
Starter Motor

Hi i disconnected my battery to fit new headlight globes now my icc unit is blank no acc or radio
Ba ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2023, 10:28 AM   #24
Ba ford
Starter Motor

No absolutely nothing happens
Old 17-04-2023, 05:05 PM   #25
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba ford View Post
Hi i disconnected my battery to fit new headlight globes now my icc unit is blank no acc or radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba ford
No absolutely nothing happens

do you have any power to the car?. and we are talking about a BA not a FG by any chance?. you didn't reconnect the battery leads incorrectly?.
Old 18-04-2023, 06:36 PM   #26
Ba ford
Starter Motor

No battery reconnected properly just icc unit dead i checked fuse it still good
Old 18-04-2023, 06:39 PM   #27
Ba ford
Starter Motor

Its a 2005 ba battery reconnected properly i checked fuse its all good just icc is dead no ac or radio / cd
Old 18-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #28
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Its a 2005 ba battery reconnected properly i checked fuse its all good just icc is dead no ac or radio / cd

ok. is that when you turn the key?. does car start when key is turned on?. ICC hasn't been removed & refitted?. how did you check the fuse & what fuse did you check?.
Old 19-04-2023, 03:49 PM   #29
Ba ford
Starter Motor

I was told by auto electrician check fuse under steering wheel on right hand side think it was icc /ign by memory yes can start car have wipers and indicators just nothing with icc unit
Old 19-04-2023, 08:20 PM   #30
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
I was told by auto electrician check fuse under steering wheel on right hand side think it was icc /ign by memory yes can start car have wipers and indicators just nothing with icc unit

the one your referring to is a 5amp fuse [ICC-IGN] _ 16HA [wire number & is coded as a Red/Green trace wire] at C-331 [plug on back of interior fuse board/box]. there's also a 15 amp fuse - ICC-Batt _ 37P [wire number & is coded as a yellow wire] at C-334 [plug on back of interior fuse board/box], not sure without looking at the owners manual what fuse/s that is or what position they are at sorry.

edit - also refer to the link ICC not working as it may also be your problem if the fuses are good.

if you are able to - check out any codes thrown up by the car either by your auto elect or supercheap or a mate with forscan etc.

Last edited by mad2; 19-04-2023 at 08:34 PM.