Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default NSW removes signage around speed cameras

Well NSW welcome to the start of VIC revenue raising operations:

Quote:
Mobile speed camera signs to disappear in NSW UPDATED

NSW transport minister accused of revenue raising tactics as mobile camera signage is phased out

UPDATE - Despite claims that mobile speed camera units would continue operating with warning signs until 2021, WhichCar has already observed units deployed in the southern highlands to the south of Sydney operating without signs in place.

A unit was spotted today (29 November) operating just south of Marulan, about an hour from Goulburn. There were no signs either in front of or beyond the marked vehicle.

An announcement by the state government earlier in the month stated that warning signs for mobile speed cameras will be banished.

The minister for transport, Andrew Constance, announced the measures as part of a raft of changes that include increases in penalties for drink and drug driving offences.

“Warning signs for mobile speed cameras will be removed over the next 12 months, bringing NSW in line with other jurisdictions,” said the minister.

“This is about changing culture, and changing behaviour.”

The minister flagged the change late last year, as well, suggesting the idea was "under consideration."
https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...d-camera-signs

Also friendlyjordies opinion on the matter

Looks like they need to start paying for the COVID torpedo
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: NSW removes signage around speed cameras

Just use Waze. Aussies love dobbing.

Every unmarked camera I have passed has been very clearly and accurately indicated on Waze.

Soon they will block that feature legally. You wait and see.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Just use Waze. Aussies love dobbing.

Every unmarked camera I have passed has been very clearly and accurately indicated on Waze.

Soon they will block that feature legally. You wait and see.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I've never been fined in 10 years, I speed everywhere, I just know what the camera cars look like and the spots they rotate them through, plus the fixed camera locations.

It doesn't take a genius to realise what that new SUV is on the side of the road with the one spotlight far out on one side

There's hardly any police out on the roads around Melbourne, it's mostly fixed and mobile cameras, occasionally you'll come across highway patrol or the very odd unmarked car.

Even through Melbourne's 'ring of steel' I never had my work permit checked and I managed to sneak from Melbourne to Bendigo twice by going back roads.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So much road safety, people will start coming back from the dead
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I also have seen two wholly un-signed ones; George St (Bligh Park) on Nov 25th and a week later the Princes around Albion Park. Fairly sure I’ve also seen in moving traffic near Gladesville, a camera car with only the reflective checker stripe, no sign-written statement of its “job”.

So, yes, unless they are going to issue warnings from the un-signed busts, the twelve month transition was about honest as much of what the incumbents do.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how long it will be until speed cameras are obsolete. Given the technology appearing in cars, the car itself will probably dob you in every time you speed (like 1kmph over the speed limit).
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
I wonder how long it will be until speed cameras are obsolete. Given the technology appearing in cars, the car itself will probably dob you in every time you speed (like 1kmph over the speed limit).
No joke, a lot of fleets are moving to IVMS, in vehicle monitoring of speed, acceleration, braking, not wearing seatbelt on startup or drive off, compulsory rest breaks on journeys longer than two hours. All breaches are immediately registered with employers. All data is accessed via vehicles own computer so how long before the government makes vehicle monitoring a safer issue and mandates it for all new passenger vehicles.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
No joke, a lot of fleets are moving to IVMS, in vehicle monitoring of speed, acceleration, braking, not wearing seatbelt on startup or drive off, compulsory rest breaks on journeys longer than two hours. All breaches are immediately registered with employers. All data is accessed via vehicles own computer so how long before the government makes vehicle monitoring a safer issue and mandates it for all new passenger vehicles.
Interstate transport has had similar for quite a few years.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
Pis-ton broke
Banned

do the speed cameras take a picture of the front of the car, or the back of the car? because i ride around on a bike sometimes, and there plates are on the back only.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
do the speed cameras take a picture of the front of the car, or the back of the car? because i ride around on a bike sometimes, and there plates are on the back only.
Wasn't until a couple years ago that they couldn't pick up motorbikes on our toll roads M1/M2
Old 06-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How are people going to hold a phone to their ear, text, look at Facebook, have a zoom meeting and do their makeup with out the speed camera warning signs.
People are going to have to concentrate on the road now.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2020, 12:47 PM   #12
Sonny_Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
There's hardly any police out on the roads around Melbourne, it's mostly fixed and mobile cameras, occasionally you'll come across highway patrol or the very odd unmarked car.
Depends really. Out on the west side there's a few unmarked cars, including one that sits in Bulla every couple of weeks.
Quote:
Even through Melbourne's 'ring of steel' I never had my work permit checked and I managed to sneak from Melbourne to Bendigo twice by going back roads.
Yeah you could sneak off the Diggers Rest exit and jump back on again using the Gisborne one. Even so, I managed to get through one without a pass, I was heading up to Lederderg to get some firewood on my own. They just waved me through.
Sonny_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny_Jim View Post
Depends really. Out on the west side there's a few unmarked cars, including one that sits in Bulla every couple of weeks.

Yeah you could sneak off the Diggers Rest exit and jump back on again using the Gisborne one. Even so, I managed to get through one without a pass, I was heading up to Lederderg to get some firewood on my own. They just waved me through.
Yes, I traverse Bulla on the regular, you could just hit Wildwood Rd and then Cahill Street which runs parallel with the main street if coming from Melbourne, or just continue on and it'll take you out on the Eastern side of Sunbury.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta make up for the debt somehow.
Mobile cameras have been around for at least 10 years now? Roads don't feel any safer, if anything drivers seem to have got worse.

IVMS is crap too. Break the speed limit by 1km/h for more than 5 seconds and it records a breach on your file and sends emails to whoever to report you. Not even the highway patrol is that strict.
Brake to avoid an animal strike and you get a breach on your file.
Fatigue breaches go off engine run time, not driver log in time. You can drive for 4 minutes and and get a fatigue breach on your file because then engine wasn't restarted and the warning is 5 minutes before breach
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
…Roads don't feel any safer, if anything drivers seem to have got worse.
I’d agree with you. More self-absorbed and spatially unaware.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There's just no mercy with IVMS, the worst of it being when you try to stick to speed limits
on those 60 kph off ramps and you get vehicles six inches off your back bumper.

In the city, it's just not workable with idiots that don't understand why you don't speed up
and then they pull around and brake check you, there's another breach on the system.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2020, 06:56 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
There's just no mercy with IVMS, the worst of it being when you try to stick to speed limits
on those 60 kph off ramps and you get vehicles six inches off your back bumper.

In the city, it's just not workable with idiots that don't understand why you don't speed up
and then they pull around and brake check you, there's another breach on the system.
Way too often I get stuck behind some mouth breather who can't maintain any speed. They're finally going slow enough so I will go to pass then they match my speed now I look like the f wit sitting in the right lane for no reason.
Now you have to slow down to merge left behind the brain dead moron and infuriate the people behind when you slow or sit in the right lane next to the moron.

10 Years and this will be norm for private cars too. Except the government will want a payment since you endangered ever ones life by doing 1 over.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #18
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD has had no signage for many years. Welcome to the fold NSW. Pretty sure it was just a matter of time.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #19
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guys,
I have already come across the Camera Car parked on the side of the road in a 50KMH zone and there was no sign.

I have also seen a few unmarked cars around in Sunny Goulburn NSW also parked on the side of the road.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
cairns27

What ? you lot didn't know that speeding was illegal, But you do obey some laws, right ?.
Keep in mind not all drivers have your driving skills. It's like the Bible, just pick out the good bits.

bye
cairns27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #21
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vic is all over the place with signage. Signs near fixed cameras. Random permanent warning signs on roads "Speed Camera in Area".
There is a main road in my area that has a warning sign as previously mentioned never seen a mobile camera on that stretch of road.
There is a fixed camera at an intersection about 1km away which has a "Road Safety Cameras Operate in this Area" Sign before the intersection.
As for the placement of the mobile cameras they park in some places near me that are dangerous for pedestrians, they block the footpath.

Last edited by EBSXR6; 12-12-2020 at 08:39 AM.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They had a mobile camera parked on our country highway in one of the few safe overtaking spots yesterday, absolutely ridiculous.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Guys,
I have already come across the Camera Car parked on the side of the road in a 50KMH zone and there was no sign.

I have also seen a few unmarked cars around in Sunny Goulburn NSW also parked on the side of the road.
Often see the un/marked Police car sitting up the dirt track off Cobblers road coming down the big hill on the Hume at Jugiong, NSW. Sneaky bugger.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post