Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
yelpir

Default Noise from brakes when reversing

I have got a MA Zetec, 2008 model. Fantastic car to drive. Recently, when reverse I sometimes get a loud "howling noise" (don't know of a better way to describe it) when ever I step on the brakes. Stamping hard on the brakes stops the noise but it sometimes resume as I lift up my foot off the brakes. It only happens when the car is in reverse and is now become embarassing . I have been told that it must be brake dust. Has anybody experienced this before? And apart from stripping the pads and cleaning them, is there any other way of getting rid of the dust?

yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Does your car have a 'hill hold' function (these lightly apply the brakes to stop you rolling back when starting off up a hill).
The noise (on my Outback) was that 1 hill-hold-assigned rear disc not releasing properly due to dirty mechanism.
..........and only in reverse !!! Like a banshee's wail...designed to wake the neighbours.

Essentially down to dragging disc pads.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
yelpir

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Does your car have a 'hill hold' function (these lightly apply the brakes to stop you rolling back when starting off up a hill).
The noise (on my Outback) was that 1 hill-hold-assigned rear disc not releasing properly due to dirty mechanism.
..........and only in reverse !!! Like a banshee's wail...designed to wake the neighbours.

Essentially down to dragging disc pads.
I don't really know. Had a quick check of the car's specs (2.3l Mondeo Zetec, 2008) and there is no mention of that. So I guessed it probably doesn't have one. You are right about one thing though..the noise...the banshee wail..
Old 31-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
mighty-mon

'Hill hold' function I thought only became available in Oz on the MB series but don't quote me.
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

My XR5 has just started does the same thing, I suspect the pads are getting down a bit (65,000ks') and the calliper is moving around a bit and something is dragging on the disk while its in reverse. It’s nothing to worry about but might be worth getting the pads checked for wear.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

I have MB XR5...with hill-hold function, which works well.
Not sure about MA series.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty-mon
'Hill hold' function I thought only became available in Oz on the MB series but don't quote me.
pretty sure you are correct. i had the release from ford to dealers about updates in the MB and i am pretty sure that it was mentioned in that...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hill Assist is an MB option. Not available on MA series
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
yelpir

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
My XR5 has just started does the same thing, I suspect the pads are getting down a bit (65,000ks') and the calliper is moving around a bit and something is dragging on the disk while its in reverse. It’s nothing to worry about but might be worth getting the pads checked for wear.

Just touching base. Will soon be doing my 45K service and will give it a thorough check. In the mean time, I have almost gotten rid of the noise (I still get it now and then but no way near frequently or as loud as before). This was what I did based on advice but please be careful. Drove to a lonely road, made sure no car was following me and then slammed hard on the break going at 60 kmph. That activated the ABS (u actually feel it through the brake pedals). Repeated this three times making sure I actually get the ABS activated on each occasion and the noise has almost gone. The reasoning is that there is a lot of brake dust on the pad. Activating the ABS should get rid of them.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelpir
Just touching base. Will soon be doing my 45K service and will give it a thorough check. In the mean time, I have almost gotten rid of the noise (I still get it now and then but no way near frequently or as loud as before). This was what I did based on advice but please be careful. Drove to a lonely road, made sure no car was following me and then slammed hard on the break going at 60 kmph. That activated the ABS (u actually feel it through the brake pedals). Repeated this three times making sure I actually get the ABS activated on each occasion and the noise has almost gone. The reasoning is that there is a lot of brake dust on the pad. Activating the ABS should get rid of them.
Sounds like you are not cornering hard enough to remove the dust ;)
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
yelpir

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Did the 45K service and while the noise had gone (except occasionally from the RH back wheel) it turned out the earlier noise was due to brake dust and worn out pad. Now replaced the back wheel pads but the fronts are still good.
Old 17-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Yep me too, I replaced my pads last weekend and the noise is gone.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post