Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Quickers
Starter Motor

Post How do I get more grunt out of my XR5

I have had a black Mondeo XR5 Turbo for a year now and I absolutely love it. It is an awsome car but I think it needs a little bit more power.

A few friends have recommended that I get a new exhaust and a sports tune, is this the best way to go?

Any advise on what to do and approximate costs involved would be greatly appreciated. Also how much extra power can I expect.

Thanks

Quickers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have done exhaust mods, a tune and now a full intake kit.

exhaust - replaced rear mufflers with free flow mufflers and 3.5" stainless tips. cost $340

tune - bluefin from superchips. cost $705 delivered.

intake - mine is a custom but you can fit either GGR or Simota. cost, iirc GGR runs somewhere around $4-500 whilst Simota is between $2-300.

come on over to the XR5 forums, there is a mile of information over there on modding our cars. www.fordxr5turbo.com a heap of us are members here and over there...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
marcusturbo

I agree with the link that mondo-broady has listed but another that you can try is this one:

Focus ST - UK

I was a member of this forum for a long time when I lived in the UK and had one of these bad boys. I only had my car for one year and never got round do doing any tuning mods.

One of the best mods for the 5 pot engine is the Mountune 260 upgrade Mountune UK in terms of extra power for cost. Read this story about one of these cars embrassed the new RS ST-v- RS

Have a good look on the ST website as it has a massive amount of knowledge and this is where all the guys on the XR5turbo forum get their information.
marcusturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

isn't the 260 upgrade for the focus?? whilst mondeo shares the 5 pot, the ECU codes are quite different?? also the intercoolers are not interchangeable??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 17-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

buy an XR6!
vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vevapower
buy an XR6!
what, and get left behind?? lol...

if by XR6 you mean XR6T, then sure, they go bloody fast in a straight line, but eventually you'll need to go round a corner...

Old 18-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he left his T off so i thought i would too! corners... nothing some bilsteins won't fix!
vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
Flash635
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
what, and get left behind?? lol...

if by XR6 you mean XR6T, then sure, they go bloody fast in a straight line, but eventually you'll need to go round a corner...
Ha! I can clean up an XR6 in my 1986 635CSi.
I can do more with 150kw than the XR can do with 190kw.
I could probably outrun a standard turbo on the twisties too but I think it would have to be pretty twisty.
Flash635 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 02:48 AM   #9
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
he left his T off so i thought i would too! corners... nothing some bilsteins won't fix!
likewise nothing a tune won't fix... i know what i'd rather be in...

Old 18-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
rickyros
hello gypsy

I would like to see that guys, stick your mondeo turbo up with an xr6 turbo on twisties and see. Make sure it's a turbo not a xr6! I reckon it would be close.

Standard FG front brake callipers and rotors Make an offer
rickyros is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
buy an XR6!
Wow, that's awesome. You are awesome. Thanks for your valuable contribution. Can we get back on topic. All this awesomeness is too much the bear.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
warren77

Broady is on the money.
I have the GGR intake (runs closer to $700 including freight) and the Bluefin tune.
An exhaust system (considering it) will give you that little bit extra, especially with the above mods.

If you are still wanting more, then you start to have to spend the big dollars.
An intercooler (the Focus one does not fit) would be required. Cost is around the $1500+ plus to get something to fit.
Then you can start to look at a bigger turbo - $2k plus????
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
entheos

my xr5 (focus mind you) with a few mods and on the BABY tune left a BRAND new FG XR6T in it's wake the other day...he was very surprised....actually so was I....so running Perf+ (still 3 tunes higher than this i have available) I was impressed.....
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
my xr5 (focus mind you) with a few mods and on the BABY tune left a BRAND new FG XR6T in it's wake the other day...he was very surprised....actually so was I....so running Perf+ (still 3 tunes higher than this i have available) I was impressed.....
Entheos

Good thing it wasn't an unmarked police car hey ;)

The Focus has so many more options for performance tuning than the Mondeo.

And thanks to the bigger market, is cheaper to find parts.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
entheos

you're right.....i would've been lucky if it wasn't a police car and I was on a public road when it was done...but alas I was on a private 'strip' if you will....and I knew the guy and it was organised. :P

agreed....hopefully SW will be able to develop some good bits of kit for the mondeo owners out there.
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #16
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyros
I would like to see that guys, stick your mondeo turbo up with an xr6 turbo on twisties and see. Make sure it's a turbo not a xr6! I reckon it would be close.
been there, done that on macquarie pass (epic mountain twisties). stuck right on his **** till i got bored and that was on strandard tune. and yes, we were both having a go... got a thumbs up from him at one stage...