Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #151
monkeyboy666

I got my TDCi hatch yesterday... what a car. Actually I went into the Ford dealers back in October planning to buy an XR5, but after driving the TDCi demo car I was swayed.. It was kind of that thing where your heart says "XR5!" but your head says "Get the diesel" and I have to admit that today as I drove to work and the trip computer said that the distance to empty was 1034km, I was pretty happy with my decision. Average fuel consumption (I haven't needed to use the aircon yet, just open up the sunroof) has been 6.5l/100km - can't complain about that!

Just now I went out and sat in it in the dark, just wanting to see how the dash looks all lit up - if you haven't seen that yet, go and do it now - theres little orange lights EVERYWHERE, just like christmas, all over the stereo, the steering wheel, the door... how wonderful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mondeo4.JPG (67.3 KB, 81 views)
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 01:41 AM   #152
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
Just now I went out and sat in it in the dark, just wanting to see how the dash looks all lit up - if you haven't seen that yet, go and do it now - theres little orange lights EVERYWHERE, just like christmas, all over the stereo, the steering wheel, the door... how wonderful.
Post a picture :
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #153
monkeyboy666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
I'm going to check again with the dealer re fuel nozzle adapter - seems to be a bit of confusion if one should be supplied.
I found mine under the boot floor - in with the spare wheel. If you haven't checked in there yet then that may be where it is hiding.. (I had to take the wheel out to see it).
Old 11-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #154
TheColonel

That's where it should be
Old 11-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #155
RATT
In a Pug..

Driving a TDCi sedan myself in Sea Grey, and I am a convert to Diesel. Most occasions I will do about 800km per tank, but have done 1034km on a freeway/highway run and put in 64.54/l when it was refilled.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #156
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
That's where it should be
Went and had a look for mine. It's there all right (with the thing to screw into the bumpers for towing). Under the Hankook space saving spare tyre. It took me about 5 minutes to get to it. Can't see myself doing that at the service station while truckies are waiting in line. I think I'll be happy using the normal nozzles at the petrol station.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #157
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Etheridge Ford, they said I could have a steer of the Mondeo XR5 while I am there tomorrow picking up my wife's new Fiesta.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #158
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Went and had a look for mine. It's there all right (with the thing to screw into the bumpers for towing). Under the Hankook space saving spare tyre. It took me about 5 minutes to get to it. Can't see myself doing that at the service station while truckies are waiting in line. I think I'll be happy using the normal nozzles at the petrol station.
Yeah, found mine too under there. Threw it in the glovebox for easier access if I ever need it. Be interested to find out if the dirty diesel bowser stories are true - might be a couple of weeks before I need to visit one the way I'm going.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #159
jared79
Sock Puppets

Rang my dealer yesterdady and asked about getting a demo over the weekend or until my car arrives. Unfortunatly they had already loaned out the demo. Bummer, oh well one week to go. Looks like everyone that has got theirs is enjoying it.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #160
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Yeah, found mine too under there. Threw it in the glovebox for easier access if I ever need it. Be interested to find out if the dirty diesel bowser stories are true - might be a couple of weeks before I need to visit one the way I'm going.
Well let me put it this way, I have a pair of gloves that I use everytime I fill up. There's no way I'm touching those things with my bare hands :P
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #161
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, i swapped my Typhoon for this! And after only 200k's! bloody sensational! Anyone who gets one of these is going to be Very happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xr5 003.jpg (61.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg xr5 004.jpg (59.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg xr5 001.jpg (51.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg xr5 002.jpg (64.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg xr5 005.jpg (62.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg xr5 006.jpg (60.1 KB, 101 views)
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #162
monkeyboy666

Quote:
Threw it in the glovebox for easier access if I ever need it. .

I keep mine in its plastic bag in the hatch. If you look on the side wall of the boot on the passengers side theres a velcro loop, I just adjusted that to be a bit narrower and keep the adaptor slid inside there. Easy to access from the rear when you are filling up.

I had to use mine for the first time today (actually, didn't have to since I still had 3/4 of a tank but I just wanted to give it a go..) Tip - DON'T depress the trigger fully on the hi-flow bowser nozzles!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #163
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoonfan
Well, i swapped my Typhoon for this! And after only 200k's! bloody sensational! Anyone who gets one of these is going to be Very happy!
Guys I had a my 1st look and a drive of the above Mondeo only 3 hours ago, I was very impressed with the whole car, the size is bigger than i thought, the quality of the finish inside and the features on the XR5 are a class that i have never seen on a Ford before, the European's have put a real good quality car together, when you think the Mondeo price is so close to a XR6 Falcon but the Mondeo spanks it every where.
Very impressed its a real class act.
Thank you to phoonfan (Andrew) at Etheridge Ford for the test drive.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 12-01-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #164
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
WOW, swapped your Typhoon? So you are saying that the Mondeo is a better car/drive than a Typhoon? Can you tell us why? I am very interested to know.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #165
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Man that looks hot :evil3:

What's the gearbox like on that thing?
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #166
bearass
FG XR8

Thumbs up

Quote:

Looks smick did you get the exhaust tips before or after you picked it up???

It will be the first thing I do when mine turns up.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #167
bearass
FG XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared79
Rang my dealer yesterdady and asked about getting a demo over the weekend or until my car arrives. Unfortunatly they had already loaned out the demo. Bummer, oh well one week to go. Looks like everyone that has got theirs is enjoying it.

Don't worry we haven't got long to go to both yours and mine arrives. The closer the day the slower it seems to go.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #168
SpoolMan

Quote:
WOW, swapped your Typhoon? So you are saying that the Mondeo is a better car/drive than a Typhoon? Can you tell us why? I am very interested to know.
I have a Typhoon, while the typhoon spanks the Mondeo in power and torque that's were it ends, the Mondeo XR5 is a class act there euro Fords seems to be streets ahead in the plastics and the finish of the whole car.
The stereo is a Sony very nice, the car starts and turns off with a button on the dash as long as the key is near by even if its in your pocket, I only had 20 mins with this car and the features and electronics the dash display are outstanding.
Dont be surprised in a few years if the Mondeo replaces the Falcon, get down and have a look at one you wont be disappointed in the XR5.

You want big power racer the F6 is the go, the power and torque is unmatched more so with a couple of mods.
You want something sporty has a bit off punch with a nice interior and better comfort and refinement check out the XR5.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #169
brucel
brucel

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Has anyone had the Turbo Diesel long enough to comment on the fuel efficiency? Any while i'm at it anyone with the petrol economy? Are they close to whats written on the windscreen???
I have had the vehicle for around 2 months with around 6.5L/100km on country trips with 7.8L/100km around Sydney during the lighter holiday season traffic. Worst case was the first tank where I returned 8.9l/100km in heavy peak hour Sydney traffic.
brucel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #170
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I havent seen the Mondeo in black before and MAN! that looks NIIICE.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #171
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Looks great phoonman! Says a lot about the mondeo considering your previous ride. I already think the TDCi corners better than my XR6T. Wish I could have the XR5 HMI display in my TDCi though. Enjoy it.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #172
FRIKA
FRIKA

Black looks awsome. Some very interesting feedback from the Phoon owners. It looks like I have made the right choice.

2 more weeks and counting.
Old 14-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #173
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Well done!

I swapped a BF XR8 sedan for a TDCi and couldn't be happier. :
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #174
ajay1940

I swapped a 2004 Liberty for a TDCI and just love the silky torque.
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #175
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Like spoolman says, dosent hold its own the power stakes compared to the Typhoons, but its not meant to!

Driving dynamics, gearbox, driving position, cockpit, fit and finish are all first class and not something that you would have expected from Ford. Even though its not a rocket, performance is more than adequate for scooting around town. Took it up the Dandenongs on the weekend and it did not miss a beat and a lot of fun to drive! Very surefooted with no hint of torque steer.

At the end of the day is the Mondeo a better car?? Yes, in some ways it is, for the reasons mentioned above. Remember That the Typhoon is nearly 6years old and is about to be replaced and the Mondeo is brand new, This will be a very different story come Orion!

Both cars arn't just good to drive! They are excellent Drivers Cars!

The Mondeo will do me just nicely (untill the Orion Typhoon turns up!)

Last edited by phoonfan; 14-01-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 14-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #176
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearass
Looks smick did you get the exhaust tips before or after you picked it up???

It will be the first thing I do when mine turns up.
First thing i had changed! Was trying to get the rectangle ones like the BF2 GT, but they wont fit without cutting the Rear bar! these were the next best!

Am on the look out for a set of 19" rims, but not much around at the moment with correct offsets!! Pedders are also on stand by!
Old 14-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #177
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Like spoolman says, dosent hold its own the power stakes compared to the Typhoons, but its not meant to!

Driving dynamics, gearbox, driving position, cockpit, fit and finish are all first class and not something that you would have expected from Ford. Even though its not a rocket, performance is more than adequate for scooting around town. Took it up the Dandenongs on the weekend and it did not miss a beat and a lot of fun to drive! Very surefooted with no hint of torque steer.

At the end of the day is the Mondeo a better car?? Yes, in some ways it is, for the reasons mentioned above. Remember That the Typhoon is nearly 6years old and is about to be replaced and the Mondeo is brand new, This will be a very different story come Orion!

Both cars arn't just good to drive! They are excellent Drivers Cars!

The Mondeo will do me just nicely (untill the Orion Typhoon turns up!)
Couldn't agree more phoonfan! I posted a quick discussion about the mondeo on an earlier thread after i went to the brisbane preview test drive. In my amateur road test i noted that the mondeo was the best ford on sale today in this country, and after reading the posts from the very pleased owners on here i can see i was right. The BF falcon is a great car, espcially considering is age, but the mondeo is what the new orion should be like regarding build quality, features and class. Don't know if ford aus can match ford europe build quality but it is something to aspire to!

Mondeo is a classy car, 5 star safe, well kitted out and well priced. More importantly, as with virtually all ford's lineup its a damn good drive. Many people don't like Tom Gorman especially with the whole shutting down of I6 production etc., but one thing can't be denied is that ford's lineup (and in time eventually public perception) has changed under his reign. Within the next year or so all of fords lineup will be well styled, good value, very safe and damn good drives - which is what ford aus should stand for IMHO!
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #178
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I've noticed a fair bit of brake dust on the front wheels already after only 250 kms driving. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I know some euros often eat pads/rotors quite quickly. Hopefully doesn't mean increased pad/rotor replacement.
Old 14-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #179
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've noticed a fair bit of brake dust on the front wheels already after only 250 kms driving. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I know some euros often eat pads/rotors quite quickly. Hopefully doesn't mean increased pad/rotor replacement.
Nothing to unusual in that department! however if there is one gripe its the Air Conditioning on paticularly hot days! on a recent hot spell in Melb it does struggle and is nowhere near as efficent as the Phoon! any one else found the same thing?
Old 14-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #180
monkeyboy666

I haven't really needed the aircon in Sydney yet, so I can't report but I do have a cute anecdote about the voice activation feature if thats ok.. When I went to pick up the car the dealer gave me a demo of it ( I hadn't ordered it because I didn't think I needed it but since my car turned up with it installed I wanted to see what it was all about) He'd been driving one which had it installed and so reckoned he'd got it sussed out.

It was kind of a hot day, especially sitting in the car so he wanted to show me the advantages of being able to control the aircon with your voice, rather than having the hassle of reaching across to the centre of the dash and pressing a button or twiddling a dial. He pressed the voice button to activate it and said "climate". A posh female voice replied "Function please" or similar. He replied "Fan maximum" and she responded with "Demister On!" and a blast of hot air blew out of the top of the dash and hit us like a steam train... Sure made us even hotter.

Actually, I wouldn't have it working any other way, kind of eccentric and nutty - it sure makes my mates laugh when I demo it! I make allowances because in every other way it sure is a gorgeous car. I've done just under 650km in mixed city and country driving and the fuel gauge reads about a third left and the computer says I still have 330km until empty. I can't complain about that.

And the auto-wipers that I had considered a bit of a **** when I read about them are an amazing feature. I never realised - until I drove the Mondeo yesterday through the tail end of a storm in Wollongong with the wipers set to auto - how many times I had to adjust my intermittent wipers in my old car. You know how it is, the rains stopped so you turn them off but then you come up behind another car and you get the spray from their tyres so you have to switch it to wipe then back to intermittent, then a truck comes the other way and you have to switch it to fast ... the Mondeo does it all for you.

All in all its a great car all round - since showing him my dad sure is regretting rushing out and buying an Aurion about 4 months ago!