Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post No More GCM Upgrades on New Vehicles. From July 1 2018.

"The Australian 4WD Industry Council of Australia have just released a statement regarding changes to GCM re-rating for vehicles undergoing a Second-Stage-of-Manufacture. As of July 1, 2018, there will be no more GCM upgrades permitted on new vehicles.
It has been a long standing modifications on new vehicles to change out tow bars, hitches and suspension components to effectively increase both the Gross Combination Mass (GCM) and Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). The upgraded GCM was only able to be completed on a new vehicle, essentially pre-delivery, with modification plates to be affixed to the vehicle before first registration.
As of June 8, 2018, the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association (AAAA) & 4WD Industry Council have now been notified of these changes by the Federal Department of Transport. The change was issued via an updated Circular by the National Vehicle Administrator following consultation with all state and territory transport regulators.

Where this change will be felt the most, is in the caravanning circles, simply due to the upgraded GCM (read: Towing Capacity) no longer being available, especially with the increased weight of caravans and camper trailers, for the typical mid-sized dual cab ute.
For example, the Ford Ranger XLT dual cab has a GVM of 3200kg, and a GCM of 6000kg, leaving an ability to tow up to 2800kg when it’s fully loaded (think bullbar, lights, winch, batteries, wheels, tyres, canopy, roof racks, fridge etc). The average van may well weigh 2200kg, however add water, food, gear, furnishings to the van and you’re very quickly pushing the GCM limit of the Ranger and a caravan. The average GCM upgrade ranges anywhere from 500kg to 1000kg, allowing for a lot more gear or caravan to be towed across the countryside.
Something worth noting, is that with this change being made due to safety concerns across the country, we should well expect more enforcement and weighbridging of vehicles on the roads into the future.
It is still early days in these changes, and we’re waiting to see what else comes of this change, or will new buyers need to go up to a full-sized / American sized ute? Let us know your thoughts below; would you pick a smaller caravan, or a bigger ute? One thing’s for certain, there’ll be no more GCM upgrades." https://mr4x4.com.au/no-gcm-upgrades-new-vehicles/
My comment : Dodge Ram 1500 will get more attention as it can tow up to 4500kg depending om diff ratio.
Old 14-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Warrenk

Default Re: No More GCM Upgrades on New Vehicles. From July 1 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"The Australian 4WD Industry Council of Australia have just released a statement regarding changes to GCM re-rating for vehicles undergoing a Second-Stage-of-Manufacture. As of July 1, 2018, there will be no more GCM upgrades permitted on new vehicles.
It has been a long standing modifications on new vehicles to change out tow bars, hitches and suspension components to effectively increase both the Gross Combination Mass (GCM) and Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). The upgraded GCM was only able to be completed on a new vehicle, essentially pre-delivery, with modification plates to be affixed to the vehicle before first registration.
As of June 8, 2018, the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association (AAAA) & 4WD Industry Council have now been notified of these changes by the Federal Department of Transport. The change was issued via an updated Circular by the National Vehicle Administrator following consultation with all state and territory transport regulators.

Where this change will be felt the most, is in the caravanning circles, simply due to the upgraded GCM (read: Towing Capacity) no longer being available, especially with the increased weight of caravans and camper trailers, for the typical mid-sized dual cab ute.
For example, the Ford Ranger XLT dual cab has a GVM of 3200kg, and a GCM of 6000kg, leaving an ability to tow up to 2800kg when it’s fully loaded (think bullbar, lights, winch, batteries, wheels, tyres, canopy, roof racks, fridge etc). The average van may well weigh 2200kg, however add water, food, gear, furnishings to the van and you’re very quickly pushing the GCM limit of the Ranger and a caravan. The average GCM upgrade ranges anywhere from 500kg to 1000kg, allowing for a lot more gear or caravan to be towed across the countryside.
Something worth noting, is that with this change being made due to safety concerns across the country, we should well expect more enforcement and weighbridging of vehicles on the roads into the future.
It is still early days in these changes, and we’re waiting to see what else comes of this change, or will new buyers need to go up to a full-sized / American sized ute? Let us know your thoughts below; would you pick a smaller caravan, or a bigger ute? One thing’s for certain, there’ll be no more GCM upgrades." https://mr4x4.com.au/no-gcm-upgrades-new-vehicles/
My comment : Dodge Ram 1500 will get more attention as it can tow up to 4500kg depending om diff ratio.
This has been over the caravan forums since the document was released last week. The Landcruiser owners are the ones most vocal about the changes with virtually no mentionining the Ranger other than it will be affected as well. Smart move by the Dodge importer to realease the 1500 at the right time to take advantage of the new rules. It has also been mentioned that Ram is not much bigger in size or GVM than the Ranger, but has a much higher towing ability and GCM.
Old 14-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can only be a good thing, hope they start cracking down
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
Can only be a good thing, hope they start cracking down
+1, Couldn't agree more.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
Warrenk

I thought vehicles could still get a GVM upgrade, but the GCM will be required to stay at the factory set limit.

Warren

Last edited by GasoLane; 16-06-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Warrenk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
I thought vehicles could still get a GVM upgrade, but the GCM will be required to stay at the factory set limit.

Warren
this is my understanding also. GVM upgrades are still ok, and can still be done via second stage manufacturer prior to registration with an amended plate.

any increase in GVM simply eats in to your available tow capacity, as GCM now stays at the factory rating.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
jandj

I spoke with the RMS in Sydney, and the bloke said upgrade to new vehicles GVM can be done .
But no upgrade to GCM, so you still have to stay at factory set GCM for towing capacity.
In saying that manufacturers need to be more clearer on how they achieve there GVM/GCM, the Isuzu 4WD ute I'm looking at to buy.
Once loaded to factory GVM , I can't tow 3.5t as stated by manufacturer. Hopefully this will be good for both consumers & businesses, but I remain very optimistic and cautious.

Jason

Last edited by jandj; 16-06-2018 at 07:09 AM.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
this is my understanding also. GVM upgrades are still ok, and can still be done via second stage manufacturer prior to registration with an amended plate.

any increase in GVM simply eats in to your available tow capacity, as GCM now stays at the factory rating.
Think of it as a sliding scale capped at the GCM. In my case I can load up my 200 right up to its new GVM of 3650Kg and tow “only” 3200kg. Or can load more into the towed vehicle right up to 3500Kg and the tug can only weight 3350. GCM is always 6850.

The point of the new regulations is there is a big difference between a GCM of 6850 and the 7.2-7.4T GCM’s that certain companies have issued with nothing more that stiffer springs and shocks. How much more braking retardation is required with 6.8T V’s 7.4T at 100km/hr, yet companies sign off the GCM’s with no brake upgrades.

Last edited by cheap; 16-06-2018 at 12:38 PM.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Apologies for the earlier post, I completely misread the OP as applying to GVM upgrades.

I have now read the actual govt circular, and I must say it is rather unclear and confusing.
What it actually says:
Quote:
10.6 The towing capacity of a light vehicle expressed as Gross Combination Mass (GCM) rating or Rated Towing Capacity or Maximum Braked Towing Mass rating must not exceed the value set by the first stage manufacturer. Second stage manufacturers are not permitted to increase the towing capacity as part of an SSM IPA that results in GVM upgrade
So it's clear you cannot increase the Towing Capacity.
But to me it's not clear whether you can increase the GCM?
So would increasing the GCM without increasing GCM actually lower the Towing Capacity?

That last sentence is also confusing. It would seem to imply that you could increase towing capacity as part of a separate IPA that did not result in increase DVM?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Apologies for the earlier post, I completely misread the OP as applying to GVM upgrades.

I have now read the actual govt circular, and I must say it is rather unclear and confusing.
What it actually says:

So it's clear you cannot increase the Towing Capacity.
But to me it's not clear whether you can increase the GCM?
So would increasing the GCM without increasing GCM actually lower the Towing Capacity?

That last sentence is also confusing. It would seem to imply that you could increase towing capacity as part of a separate IPA that did not result in increase DVM?
perhaps you don't understand the terminology. That statement is about as clear as you can get. GCM is set by the first stage manufacturer (the actual car manufacturer) and can't be changed.

Second stage manufacturers (lovell's) can still do GVM upgrades but this has no increase on the towing capacity or the GCM.

Not all manufacturers actually list a GCM. In the absence of a listed GCM, the GCM becomes the GVM + max tow rating. This meant that a increase to GVM would automatically result in an increased GCM. This is no longer the case.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The Landcruiser owners are the ones most vocal about the changes
they will be the ones most affected. the LC200 is one of the most overrated cars out there. sure its got a big donk, but that's about where the benefits end. payload is not great, and they tend to be quite soft in the rear. that's why so many LC owners get GVM upgrades.
Old 14-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #12
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way I read it the LC200 drivers should complain about GVM Upgrades, not GCM

Ranger
GVM 3200 - Kerb 2200 = Payload in car 1000
Assuming car full to GVM
Towing capacity - GCM-GVM - 2800

LC200

GVM 3350 - Kerb 2740 = Payload in car 610 <<------

Assuming car full to GVM
Towing capacity - GCM-GVM - 3500

LC200 is fine on GCM, where it suffers is GVM due to it high Kerb weight (Add bullbar, fuel, spare, winch etc, and there is no capacity for passengers - hell, it would not even take 6 of me)

I don't know towing as well as many, but I think I am OK at maths.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post

Ranger
Assuming car full to GVM

LC200

Assuming car full to GVM

LC200 is fine on GCM, where it suffers is GVM due to it high Kerb weight (Add bullbar, fuel, spare, winch etc, and there is no capacity for passengers - hell, it would not even take 6 of me)

The GCM upgrade is part of the towing capacity upgrade(4t I think) as some of the big offroad vans have a ATM over 3.5t. This is the ones that effect them as the GVM upgrade is still allowed as long as the GCM stays the same.

Warren
Old 14-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Ranger
Assuming car full to GVM

LC200

Assuming car full to GVM

As long as gvm includes tow ball weight.

Ranger can still tow a trailer with trailer axle weight of 2800 as long as tow ball weight is included in gvm. Trailer could be 3.1t if ball weight was 300kg.

LC200 can only have about 3150 on trailer axle assuming 10% ball weight carried by car.
Old 14-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #15
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ranger
Assuming car full to GVM

LC200

Assuming car full to GVM

almost got it right you didn't calculate tow ball mass which can be up to 350 kg so now only 3 of you
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #16
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I have a LC200 and have had the GVM increased simply because the standard GVM is very low giving me very little payload. The 200 is easy to drive and gobbles up the miles with ease, it sure is more comfortable to have 5 people in the 200 than any BT50, Ranger, Hi-Lux, Prado, Everest...

As far as GCM upgrades, this has been an area which has let’s say been marketed heavily by at least one well known suspension company. Owners who have used that particular company for a GVM upgrade can also get GCM’s of 7.4 to 7.6T. The new rules are clearly aimed at this particular company. This particular company has caused many engineers to question the legalities and safety aspects.

The other aspect to GVM upgrades (not GCM) upgrades is that several companies are providing 3800Kg GVM upgrades to the LC200 whilst the maximum axle loadings for the 200 are far less. Sit back and watch the authorities clamp down on these too.

Then there is the practice of some caravan manufacturers selling big cheap vans whilst deliberately under rating the weight of these vans. People buying these big vans and then using the cheapest towing vehicle able to supposedly tow such vans. Watch this come under scrutiny too.

Bottom line, if you need to tow really big vans (+3500Kg), then the big American utes are the only sensible choice. Also really big vans with all the goodies are called houses.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Being an old fart - having towed two caravans with three tow vehicles over time - I'll throw in my 2 sense worth.

Most people understand that there are max limits to towing stuff.

These limits are max (I wuz going to say mass but who uses that term nowadays?) weights for the tow vehicle which can include a max total weight, max weight on axles and max payload; then there is the max weight of the van, the max download weight on the towing hitch and lastly everything added together van, tow vehicle, occupants and stuff max weight.

Roughly it seems (I'll use net and gross here) that vans allow about 300-500kg from net to gross. This is your stuff in the van - food, clothes, beer - plus full water tanks.

The biggest problem in my opinion refers to payload of the towing vehicle. This is the difference between net and gross max weight.

My first van was a poptop towed by an AUII XR8 ute. The max weight the ute could pull was 2300kg, so no problem with a poptop weighing about 1800kgs.

Where I had concerns was in two areas though.

Payload

Payload for the ute was 500kg - seems like plenty until you do your sums.

Towball down load ... 130kg
Two adults .............. 200kgs
Fuel tank 80 litres .... 80kgs
LPG 100 litres .......... 80kgs

The only thing I could carry in the tray was a lightweight table and two camping chairs!!!

I really have concerns about the tow vehicles you often see on the road that are loaded to the gunnels with stuff, including bullbars and winch, plus a boat on top. The tow vehicle may perform OK, however one prang and if your tow vehicle is overweight, the insurer will not cover you.

The second limit is a speed limit. Ford decreases the towing speed from 100kms/h progressively as the weight of the van increases.

So, for example, you may be limited to 80kms/h

If you have a prang, the insurer may refuse a claim if in their opinion you did not heed the advice from the manufacturer and in their estimation/evidence you were travelling above that speed.

Once you get your head around this stuff, caravanning is a great lifestyle and those who have not experienced it will say things like, "Gee you paid that much? That's a lot of motel rooms."

My caravan days are coming to an end. Next week I take my van over to the seller to sell on consignment. My wife and I are a little disappointed but my body struggles with getting up and down hitching and unhitching and stuff. I can get down OK, it is the getting back up that causes me problems.

As my wife often comments, "Don't fall down because I won't be able to pick you up."

Maybe my body needs a GCM downgrade.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I have a LC200
I meant no disrespect earlier when I called the LC200 overrated. This is not to say it isn't a great car.

Many people in the caravan world rank it a step up from many of the other vehicles that have a similar tow rating. I just think it isn't really any better off from a legal standpoint, hence my comment about it being overrated.

sure it can tow more with the car at its GVM, but its only about 300kg, and yes, its heavier, which is better if you are towing something heavy, but its not really that big a step up if you are struggling with a dual cab or similar. Its more a step sideways in my view.

Just to clarify what I meant, and of course, its just my opinion.

Another opinion of mine is the caravan industry needs much stricter regulation. Or even some regulation would be good.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
jandj

So what happens when you have a 4WD ute and modify the suspension to carry constant load for your work, it'll be interesting to see how far govco take this method of madness.
I'm all for safety, and when I load my ute I'm pretty switched on how much / where to put the load on the ute.
I'm actually in the market looking for a new 4WD ute, so it'll be interesting to see where to from here.

Jason
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #20
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder how it will affect the more significant second stage manufacture vehicles - eg 6x6 landcruisers - surely that qualifies for a higher GCM?
Old 14-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #21
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
Wonder how it will affect the more significant second stage manufacture vehicles - eg 6x6 landcruisers - surely that qualifies for a higher GCM?
I would imagine this kind of proper engineering (beefed up chassis mods, extra tag suspension, brakes etc would still be allowed under a special vehicles scheme but who knows.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #22
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cav...Motorhome ?
Old 15-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #23
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Cav...Motorhome ?
You mean like this?

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Well said Cav. Lots of people only look at the max tow capacity and nothing else.

Even people who are right across all the weights often aren't aware of manufacturer recommended speed restrictions either.

The good thing with Ford is the owners manual is quite comprehensive. Can't comment on other brands but I'm sure they would also cover themselves.
Old 15-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #25
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

GVM upgrade okay, but anything more than a 2" lift needs ESC to be tested.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post