Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2018, 01:49 AM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Replacement block same engine number?

A colleague had to get the engine replaced in his Ranger, he was quoted and payed for a reconditioned engine at a Ford dealer.

Went to Vic Roads to update the engine number, Vic Roads Inspector checked the number with a camera and told him the number was already updated, colleague checked the number against the owners manual and it was same number.

Colleague contacted Service Advisor and asked was he getting a reconditioned engine? The Service advisor said yes. Colleague told him I have just been to Vic Roads and the engine number is the same as the original. Service advisor said he would get back to him.

Service Advisor called back told my colleague that they got a new block from Ford with a serial number sticker, no engine number and they stamped the engine number on the block.

My colleague is worried about he has paid for another block and they may have just used the original block. Has anyone else heard of the dealer stamping an engine number on a replacement block and is it legal?
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2018, 02:01 AM   #2
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Replacement block same engine number?

Just be happy they did.

They replaced plenty of BA/BF GT engines with original engine numbers.

So they would probably do the same on a Ranger if under warranty.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the agreement was he was getting a reconditioned engine, personally I'd prefer to have my original engine reconditioned.
However I think most of these scenarios is that one engine is pulled and it's replaced with another engine reconditioned previously. In the case of the 5.7L LS replaced in my VY MY03, it was replaced with a reconditioned engine, but according to the numbers was from an '01.
Doesn't sound like that in this case as the dealer stamped the engine number; i.e. it didn't have one as was not previously used in another vehicle.
Hmm .. if anyone else did this they'd likely be in trouble? My '74 AMC Javelin didn't have an engine number (supposedly not mandatory in a lot of US states at the time?). I had to get a Police number for it. If it's all good with rego authorities then likely all good now.
Sounds like he got a NEW engine not a reconditioned one?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
My '74 AMC Javelin didn't have an engine number (supposedly not mandatory in a lot of US states at the time?).
True.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What was wrong with the Ranger engine that it required replacement?

and what was the cost?

The answer to this will probably explain whether the engine was replaced or just fixed..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2018, 11:47 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What was wrong with the engine that it needed reconditioning?

And what precisely did he contract for?

It could be true, but sounds like BS.

Few dealers would be equipped to fully recondition an engine, with or without a new block. Usually they would buy the engine in.
If the work was done by a dealer, more likely it was replacement of some parts, rather than a full recon. Could be a recond'd head, etc.

Did the block need replacing?
How long was the car in for?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #7
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ranger is a workmates and was off the road for about 3 weeks. The fan belt broke, caused an issue with the harmonic balancer and front engine seal. Some of the rubber got sucked into the engine and kaput. Quote was around $13,000.

I asked a mechanic mate been in the industry over 30 years, re the diagnosis and he came across this once with a BMW.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2018, 12:45 AM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hard to say without knowing the extent of the damage.
$13k sounds like a lot of money if they were just changing out bits. But if it shat the timing chain/belt that could have rooted the head, if it threw a rod that can smash the block.

It's possibly true. If the main damage was to the block, possibly even isolated to the front seal or bearing channels, its possible they figured the easiest solution was to buy a new block.
Has he tried looking at the engine number himself? Does it look machined, or does it look like it was done by a stoned apprentice with a punch set?

Its also possible they sent the engine out to be rebuilt, and it was recon'd using the same block.

If he paid $13k, I'd be asking to see the paperwork from the engine re-conditioners.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Hard to say without knowing the extent of the damage.
$13k sounds like a lot of money if they were just changing out bits. But if it shat the timing chain/belt that could have rooted the head, if it threw a rod that can smash the block.

It's possibly true. If the main damage was to the block, possibly even isolated to the front seal or bearing channels, its possible they figured the easiest solution was to buy a new block.
Has he tried looking at the engine number himself? Does it look machined, or does it look like it was done by a stoned apprentice with a punch set?

Its also possible they sent the engine out to be rebuilt, and it was recon'd using the same block.

If he paid $13k, I'd be asking to see the paperwork from the engine re-conditioners.

A new Ranger long motor will cost up to $8,000, accessories & labour will add $$, the price of $13,000 is actually quite good as I have heard of $16,000 being quoted for some other owners from ford dealers.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'd be pretty easy to tell the difference between an engine number stamped at a dealership (or anywhere else) compared to an engine number stamped at the factory.

A reconditioned engine is not a brand new engine.

Normally a reconditioned engine is obtained on an exchange basis.
They keep your old engine for reconditioning & they provide you with another engine that has been reconditioned.
This exchange process would mean the vehicle is off the road for the least amount of time.
But the engine number would not be the same as the original.

The other option is an engine rebuild, that's where your engine would be dismantled & reassembled with any damaged or worn parts being replaced.
In this case the original engine number might remain intact.
But the amount of time the vehicle is off the road would be a lot longer.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
MRHELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
It'd be pretty easy to tell the difference between an engine number stamped at a dealership (or anywhere else) compared to an engine number stamped at the factory.

A reconditioned engine is not a brand new engine.

Normally a reconditioned engine is obtained on an exchange basis.
They keep your old engine for reconditioning & they provide you with another engine that has been reconditioned.
This exchange process would mean the vehicle is off the road for the least amount of time.
But the engine number would not be the same as the original.

The other option is an engine rebuild, that's where your engine would be dismantled & reassembled with any damaged or worn parts being replaced.
In this case the original engine number might remain intact.
But the amount of time the vehicle is off the road would be a lot longer
MRHELE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Ford dealers have been stamping numbers for a few years, I quizzed a guy I know about this, they were legit in being allowed to do it on a new one when the original was going to be taken out of action and destroyed

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
spud1972falcon
Starter Motor

Been there, done that. Been in the trade 30 years. If a new engine turns up without a serial number, I have stamped the original number on the new block. I make sure the old block is destroyed.
The only other way, is fit the engine. Present the vehicle to Vicroads and they will give you a serial number. You then have to stamp the number supplied. Most locations require engine removal to access. I don't think many customers would want to pay for this.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
spud1972falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #14
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud1972falcon View Post
Been there, done that. Been in the trade 30 years. If a new engine turns up without a serial number, I have stamped the original number on the new block. I make sure the old block is destroyed.
The only other way, is fit the engine. Present the vehicle to Vicroads and they will give you a serial number. You then have to stamp the number supplied. Most locations require engine removal to access. I don't think many customers would want to pay for this.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
Yeah used to see engines that were fitted to industrial machinery,ie welders,generators etc,that were unnumbered. I have also seen more problems caused because the original engine owner never bothered to notify a number change,after fitting a reco engine,then when the old engine turned up in another body,as far as Vicroads were concerned there were 2 cars running around with the same number.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #15
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work at a dealership and fitted a Ford approved exchange engine to an Everest, the new engine looked to have a brand new block with no engine number and in the paperwork that came with the engine said to stamp original number onto the new engine.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #16
browser351
Landcruiser 200

Lots of aussie muscle cars out there with "ORIGINAL" engine blocks.
browser351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
The Ranger is a workmates and was off the road for about 3 weeks. The fan belt broke, caused an issue with the harmonic balancer and front engine seal. Some of the rubber got sucked into the engine and kaput. Quote was around $13,000.

I asked a mechanic mate been in the industry over 30 years, re the diagnosis and he came across this once with a BMW.
A snapped fan belt caused this?
Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #18
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fan belt might have been the end result of the balancer problems?

Could have snapped a crank, thrown a rod?

Who knows..

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah well I think the balancer's on the bottom pulley, could have taken a hit offroading.

and crank damage would warrant the engine change

not sure about the belt.