Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
mumfy
Starter Motor

Default Durotec 2.0 Engine

Hi
Can anybody help me out I have a 2007 Manual focus with a 2.0l Durotec will a 2009 Durotec Engine out a Automatic fit this car??

Regards

Darren
mumfy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Durotec 2.0 Engine

Just to be accurate it's Duratec. It should fit although you'll obviously need to swap the bellhousing and transmission or if you are only getting the engine then you'll need to retain your bellhousing and transmission.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2019, 05:19 AM   #3
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
I checked on redbook.com.au
Both the year 2009 (auto) and 2007 (manual) seems to be 2.0 engines with identical 107kW and 185Nm, so it looks like you are all good with the 2009 engine into your vehicle.
Generally, some manuals have a support bearing in the crankshaft for the input shaft of the trans. If your replacement engine was an auto it will for sure not have this bearing fitted. (Some manual FWD trans may not have it. I'm not sure about Focus).
If it has a support bearing order a new one, as it is difficult to extract and re-use.

Worst case of 'difficult engineering' I have seen was a 4-cyl VW petrol Turbo (15 years ago). Their engines built for Auto didn't even have the hole for the bearing machined in the crankshaft, so we had to transfer the crankshaft across when trying to fit an auto engine in a manual vehicle. I have never heard of the same 'trick' by other manufacturers.

Obviously you need to transfer the flywheel across from yours, and fit a new clutch.
Since the engine is already 10 years old I would fit a new main seal behind the flywheel, and some engines can't re-use the flywheel bolts, so you may want to order them as well.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

We're fairly confident that 2.0M and 2.0A will swap. Have been doing a lot of research lately and the ability to swap is wider than that. The 2.0 can in many cases be swapped with a 2.3/2.5 with some considerations, from either Ford or Mazda, since the Duratec is technically a Mazda Engine.

As Happy has said, the motor from the 2.0A will need the flywheel/clutch/spigot bearing transferred across, or new one's obtained. Nut from everything I've read you should be fine.

The engines through the years changed some things around 2005 they changed from external dipstick to one that routed through the block. The timing gear cover changed from containing oil galleries to later models not doing that. The intake cam position sensor wheel changed the number of cogs on it. But between 2006 and 2008 things had settled down, and there was even more commonality on the MAzda side.

Check this link:

Luke
Old 13-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm 2.5ltr you say.... : )
Old 13-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Yes, from a Mazda 6 (130kW) or a Mazda 3 SP25 (125kW). They are a-plenty in Oz, and I've seen them for sale from $500 to $1500 depending on mileage. $700 for about 100,000k. Even the 2.0 from the Fiesta XR4 was tuned up a bit to 110kW.

You would need your ECU remapped though, because using the 2.0 ECU the 2.5, while it would run, it would run too lean it higher throttle settings, even with the 2.5 injectors still on it. There are lots of Ford 2.5's in the US, and it's currently a common swap for the 2.0 Duratec NC Miata's (aka MX5). PLUS, the 2.5 from about 2008 on has forged crank and rods, and has been known to get to 450bhp reliably without rapid unexpected disassembly - stock.

And that's before you consider the L3-VDT Turbo Direct Injected Dual-VCT Motor from the Mazda 3 MPS/ Mazda 6 MPS / Mazda CX7. It will fit, and that swap has been done before, even to a Fiesta, but it will need a custom ECU.

Lukeyson
Old 14-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been reading a lot of your BA ICC threads dude. (tx btw)

I still really enjoy driving my LT Focus manual. Put some XR5 seats in it. Noice. The Duratec with a manual is such a great combo. Imagining what a non turbo 2.5 would be like.