Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #31
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I would near guarantee most of the gt's bought 20+ years ago and still owned by the then buyers today were not bought with a view to making a lot of money they were bought because the owner loved and wanted the car. The fact that they are worth more now is a happy co incidence and I would even bet most of these type of owners the value is irrelevant as the cars will not be for sale. I would love any of those now cheap GT's in that mag back then though it was still a lot of money for an old car.

History says todays performance cars will be sought by the next generation either too young or too broke to buy one now and some on here in 20 years will be saying if only I had kept that GTP or Cobra or R33 or WRX we all know holdens wont be collectable j/k.

The next generation will want what their dad had or what they couldn't have but saw others with when they were growing up (you know the fully sic cars race pedigree isn't that important) the trick is knowing what that will be if you want to cash inn.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #32
Chopped
as in chopped

W427 - not sure if they will make money but they will be sought after.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #33
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Most of the cars you suggest as an example were also Failures in sales...
F6X... MASSIVE flop...
Force 6 & 8 Range - may have some merit to it... i'll pay that one...
Cougar/Taurus/Probe - never were all that special... doubtful they ever will be...

The T-Series only negative feedback would have been that they were from the AU - the second most unloved model in Falcon History (beaten by #1 failure - EA Falcon)...
Force 8 with the Boss 302 will be a collectable I would imagine, I heard there was only 8 made, and I know of one with a sunroof that sits in the garage and is only let out on clear Sundays for a drive around the Bellarine Peninsula and back home.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #34
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia
Force 8 with the Boss 302 will be a collectable I would imagine, I heard there was only 8 made, and I know of one with a sunroof that sits in the garage and is only let out on clear Sundays for a drive around the Bellarine Peninsula and back home.
Wonder if you could actually differentiate the difference by looking at one...
My guess would be no...

I have a friend with a Force 6 pre-production vehicle (P002) and i'm thinking that it may be a rare one for keeping....
Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #35
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Oh NO ! haven't you seen the other posts,unless its race bred and got some form of results good lame or bad its gold anything later buckleys :
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #36
XRSEX
More money would be great

I would of been 9 :P

Although, while i'm 19 now, I think I have made the right choice by having different cars and having fun while im younger. So in 10 years time, I probably will be happy with the choices I have made.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #37
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool GT HOs

you have to remember $4500 for a GT HO in 1970 was a hell of a lot of money a new XY Fairmont was $3000 and an HG Prem or Valiant Regal was the same give or take a couple of bucks plus the extras AM radio was $120
I was earning $1.50 an hour $60 a week and paying $15 a week board
A three bedroom house in the burbs was $10000 so a Phase3 was half the cost of a house imagine paying $200000 for a new GT from your local Ford dealer plus the $40 a year for rego or should that be $1000 oops Im lost in the sixties again
but any way you look at it rego was 3/4 of a weeks wages then and now its over a weeks wages
petrol was 50 cents a gallon remember 4.5 litres to the gallon
now its $1.40 per litre like $6 a gallon,
smokes 40 cents a pack(20s was all you could get then)
any way we all make mistakes
thats life if only
dont let any one tell you how good and cheap it was back then
Im way better off now
thanks John

Last edited by last fairlane; 09-02-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #38
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Geez, going back 10 years, you guys are on the wrong track, I would have bought as much Enron stock as I could for $35 per share and sold it all the moment it got to $90.00 per share just before the californian energy crisis........Woulda made a motza.!!!! Of course just after that it spun out of control.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #39
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

10 years ago I was still in high school haha. But as little as four years ago I wish id got myself a classic Ford of some sort. Instead of cycling through a few newer cars. Whilst I have one now, im sure id have more than one by now if I got into it sooner.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #40
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Why would a T3 be a classic collectable?

Because it was an epic failure in sales?

The T3 to this day is the only Ford/Tickford/FPV product that consistently outran the Clubsport/R8 of its era. It kicked but thats why.

In every other Ford/Holden comparison for the last 15 yrs we have had to add the journo's cant drive or whatever. By contrast the T3 just beat them.

The fact that people spend thousands on repro kits to make their carslook like a T3 is a giveaway. It creates a desire.

The T1 & T2 were a failure in sales owing to there low key styling and the premium dealer strategy. A dumb concept which had the other 250 dealers saying to there long established customers "you don't want one of them an XR8 is just as good for less $$$." I know, I was told this.

Yes Im a trainspotter as you call it, but my stock little T2 is yet to be outrun by a stock BA GT.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #41
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
cars today have no racing pedigree. that is the main reason the 'muscle car' era cars are so collectible today. they are part of aussie motorsport history and culture.
Agreed.

Modern muscle wil never achieve these values, because people are aware now that there may be an asset gain. Cars are numbered, records scrutinised, rich folk buy one and put it on shelf. This means the rarity will not be there. FPV made 200 40th anniversary and 500 cobra's in 2007. a quarter of its production are destined to be collectable.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 AM   #42
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
not sure if motorsport history is a definate reason for a car to be collectable...

certainly part of the culture...

But aren't cars still part of our culture now??
ie: the kids that dreamed about buying a 70's GT/GTS are now in their 30's/40s/50s...
the kids that wanted to buy a HSV Clubsport or a GT-P etc will be in their 30s/40s/50s in the future... and not all of these cars are gonna be around... some will fade away and be scrapped/crashed/destroyed... same as the GT's and GTS's...
Things have changed though. For every kid wanting the latest HSV or FPV, there will be 9 others wanting an RX7, Supra, GTR or some other rice. Add to the fact that these jappas in original condition are few and far between, their values will be higher in years to come than something out of Aussie. Thats if they aren't all butchered or written off by then.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #43
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that the coupe 4 will be worth something one day too. It may not have racing pedigree or be the fastest in its field but its complete uniqueness from anything else will assure its value. Also they have stopped depreciating even now.

The T3 might have a future despite its sales plop at the time. This only ensures limited numbers years later. Have a look at the ugly VL Walky, they could not give them away at the time but try buying a cheap one today. The W427 will probably fall into this category as well.

Really what will separate the value from the also rans is limited numbers from build compared to regular HSV Clubsport and FPV models. I don't think today's young generation will car about racing pedigree in years to come either because of the sterile environment they have made it into now.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once upon a time in a far far away kingdom....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
The T3 to this day is the only Ford/Tickford/FPV product that consistently outran the Clubsport/R8 of its era. It kicked but thats why.

In every other Ford/Holden comparison for the last 15 yrs we have had to add the journo's cant drive or whatever. By contrast the T3 just beat them.

The fact that people spend thousands on repro kits to make their carslook like a T3 is a giveaway. It creates a desire.

The T1 & T2 were a failure in sales owing to there low key styling and the premium dealer strategy. A dumb concept which had the other 250 dealers saying to there long established customers "you don't want one of them an XR8 is just as good for less $$$." I know, I was told this.

Yes Im a trainspotter as you call it, but my stock little T2 is yet to be outrun by a stock BA GT.
..... and they all lived happily ever after.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #45
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

You honestly believe all of that don't you....

Old 10-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #46
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
I wish I had bought a XB GT 10 or 15 years ago... had the chance and put it off till later... when later came, the prices were astronomical... 20/20 hindsight can be a ********** :
I wish I had never sold mine 20yrs ago :togo:
The misses didn't want to put our new baby in and out the back seat of a coup so we traded the GT on a XE sports pack wagon. :
Hindsight is a wonderful thing
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #47
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford
I wish I had never sold mine 20yrs ago :togo:
The misses didn't want to put our new baby in and out the back seat of a coup so we traded the GT on a XE sports pack wagon. :
Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Ouch - that hurts..

XE S-Pac wags... or XB GT...
hmmm...

you're right - hindsight is a wonderful thing...
Old 10-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #48
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motor Feb 2002, the T3 was only .05 sec slower over the quarter than the Clubsport, and it won the comparo because it was the drivers car and once you hit the twisty stuff, the HSV was left behind.

So Elks isn't totally wrong. There were several T3's that ran quicker than the HSV's, and all the old magazines I have that feature these cars together have the T3 win. It was the better car.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #49
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Motor Feb 2002, the T3 was only .05 sec slower over the quarter than the Clubsport, and it won the comparo because it was the drivers car and once you hit the twisty stuff, the HSV was left behind.

So Elks isn't totally wrong. There were several T3's that ran quicker than the HSV's, and all the old magazines I have that feature these cars together have the T3 win. It was the better car.
Actually the current Motor mag. has a writeup on 6 cars that are a good buy the T cars get a good mention and not the first time the t series has come under scrutiney for future value status.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why is the 2002 HSV GTS (the 300Kw, 13.5s 400m, several seconds faster lap times than everthing else one) always left out of any of these stories?

Ford did not give HSV a blood nose until the F6 which also seems not to get a mention in any of these stories.

But beauty is always in the eye of the beholder so if you like something then buy it but don't assume that just because you think it is amazing that everyone else will too.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #51
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Why is the 2002 HSV GTS (the 300Kw, 13.5s 400m, several seconds faster lap times than everthing else one) always left out of any of these stories?

Ford did not give HSV a blood nose until the F6 which also seems not to get a mention in any of these stories.

But beauty is always in the eye of the beholder so if you like something then buy it but don't assume that just because you think it is amazing that everyone else will too.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^ right back at you Flapper.

Hum gong ! re 2002 HSV GTS, you of all people should make sure to cover your quoting, apples with apples, most if not all tests re T3 was TE50 v's Clubsport and T3 winner.......GTS would be pegged to the TS50 hence forget your statement.

I'll agree with you re F6 absolute winner ! but you learnt fast enough after being let down from your 8fpv experience.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #52
greens_tuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Actually the current Motor mag. has a writeup on 6 cars that are a good buy the T cars get a good mention and not the first time the t series has come under scrutiney for future value status.
Good, let those who don't like the T's stay away from them, and those of us who love them can buy them cheap.

Again, it's not about the price, its about the passion, you either love the T's or hate them. I love them, but everyone has different taste.
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #53
323Turbo

Default Re: If you had a crystal ball... looking back 10yrs

Thread dig...
so nearly 10 years on from this thread start date, would you buy a very nice mid range 2 door xa,xb,xc falcon or Monaro now for say $80,000 or have we reached the plateau of crazy price rises?

Will $100,000 end up being the norm for the lower spec models as the GT's, Cobras etc head for $200+
Old 13-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #54
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotGT View Post
Hmm... interesting... must be one of the 3 race cars....
anyone know anything bout which car this would be???

don't go too overboard over trying to post an image of the ad, though if you do i'd certainly love a copy of the photo!
As it is fitted with a C6 auto, it can't be one of the 3 race prepared cars. In any event it can't be described as a true Phase 4 as there was only one produced for general sale with a compliance plate and that was a green car (the history of which is well documented).

At best it would be an XA GT with some RPO 83 parts fitted. The RPO 83 bits being the homogolation parts ordered by Ford for race eligibility and subsequently dispersed over several cars along the production line post cancellation of the Phase 4 race program. Some GTs were fitted with more RPO 83 parts than others and some parts were even fitted to non GT cars. Hence not all RPO 83 GTs are equal as generally the parts were not highlighted or charged extra for. Ford simply need to offload them as quickly and quietly as they could.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #55
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread. I’d love to see a thread about future predictions. That is, in 10 years from now what were the bargains we should have today?

I have a future prediction myself for 10 years from now, carsales will have dozens of XR8 and XR6 Sprints for sale “never driven, only delivery mileage, never left garage, always covered, original tyres, never enjoyed properly - $20k ono”
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #56
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^ Hope so!
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Interesting thread. I’d love to see a thread about future predictions. That is, in 10 years from now what were the bargains we should have today?

I have a future prediction myself for 10 years from now, carsales will have dozens of XR8 and XR6 Sprints for sale “never driven, only delivery mileage, never left garage, always covered, original tyres, never enjoyed properly - $20k ono”
More like 100k. And they will sit on carsales for years and never sell.

How are those 100k BF Cobras going?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #58
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, it's about 10 years since start of thread, and also about that since the ED XR8 Sprint came into the family. It was bought as a second family car, cos I liked our first ED Classic back in the day. It proved to be a completely different animal - and animal it is! Still a hoot to really get enthusiastic with, and handles sweeping bends through to roundabouts very nicely. The car is asking quite a bit more in price than 10 years ago, probably has outperformed housing's mad run in that time.

What would I have said for future classic back then? Um, EB XR6, T3, BF Typhooon in the Ford range. Now, XR6's are still pretty cheap but the nice ones are going up in pocket money sized increments, T3s have held their value, maybe some appreciation as of late, humble AU XR8s are beginning to go up a bit, and BF Typhoons are at that holding of value stage.

One thing that has always puzzled me is that the early XR6's have not appreciated equally as much as the 8s, despite all the bespoke tuning put into them and the fact they were perhaps the best balanced Australian Fords since the XT GT. Easier to live with, too. That they haven't gone up so much is a good thing for anyone wanting to buy one!

Prediction now: BA onward Turbo/Typhoon - future expensive classic or will the 8s outperform it?
Old 15-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #59
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thing is thread title is 10 years.
But youre all talking about 2001 - 2 - 3
Closer to 20 years ago
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #60
stock1991
Limited supply

if you could have bought the identical donor. alongside your ideal choice. 2 cars to make one perfect. yeah good in hindsight
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post