Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-01-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
andrew.waters92
Starter Motor

Default 2010 Fiesta Zetec WS - Radiator Fan

Hi Guys,

Currently working though an issue with the radiator fan on the car mentioned above.

Firstly, we noticed the car overheating ONLY when sitting idle for around 5 or so min with the AC on, then the AC getting warm

Had a look today and noticed the Radiator Fan not spinning at all on a 33 degree Canberra summer.

Got a multimeter to the plug and no power. Checked Engine Bay fuse box and the 40A Cartridge Fuse was blown. Replaced it with another 40A Fuse.

Took the car for a drive 'Great the AC is working properly' however upon letting it idle at home, my partner could smell something burning. Checked the Engine Bay, and behold the smell was there, mainly towards the fuse box side of things.

Turned the car off and check the cabling underneath and the cabling was well hot to the touch, alot more than expected.

Unplugged the fan and let the car sit for 30 or so minutes to get rid of the smell. Fired the car up and no smells where observant.

Now apart from the above, what would you say the issue relates to? Replacing the Radiator Fan? Stuffed Cabling/Plug?

Any help would be appreciated.
andrew.waters92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 2010 Fiesta Zetec WS - Radiator Fan

You only need to ask once, not three times.

It sounds like a short in the wiring somewhere in the fan loom which would explain the blown fuse and the hot wiring.

Apparently the Ford diagnostic system can test the fan so maybe that's worth a try to at least rule it out.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Billy99
Starter Motor

Hi Andrew,

I'm having the same problem right at the moment with my 2009 Fiesta Econetic.
With mine I discovered the fan was jamming, it would spin for around 3/4 of a rotation then get stuck. Seems to be an internal problem with the motor.
From the internet research I can find it appears these cooling fans are poorly made with the brushes wearing down and eventually failing. My Econetic has 173000km on the clock, I think once you get some high Km it's almost a given that these fans will fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFMhptloDI

I found a youtube video that shows the problem: "Ford Fiesta 2009 Onwards MK7 Cooling Fan & Aircon Issue, Diagnostic and tear down"

Is there a knack to disconnecting the electrical connector off the fan? Mine is stuck and I can't get it off.

Bill
Billy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2019, 12:50 AM   #4
jb1212
Starter Motor

I have same problem (except no blown fuse). It's a new fan unit we need. Haynes book and YouTube have good guides on how to replace.