Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #61
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ford To Cut Thousands Of European Jobs, Close Factories In "Major Restructuring"

Ford Europe also paid for delivery of new Fiesta and Focus in close succession,
I have a feeling that things were accentuated to make a point of the losses.

they need way more than Fiesta and Focus.......and I'll leave it at that...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #62
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ford To Cut Thousands Of European Jobs, Close Factories In "Major Restructuring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Ford Europe also paid for delivery of new Fiesta and Focus in close succession,
I have a feeling that things were accentuated to make a point of the losses.

they need way more than Fiesta and Focus.......and I'll leave it at that...
Hacket has said there are 16 new EV’s due in the next 2 or 3 years, so we’ll see what that means to FoE.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #63
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
No, not at all, although i will admit i am often controversial because i say what many think and are too scared of backlash to express.
The devils advocate to an extent you could say.

I notice you quite often make it personal though dont you, i mean this has been a civil discussion and then you stroll in and start pointing fingers at anyone who shares an alternative opinion to your own.

You spend most of your time on this forum either bashing the opposition in every thread they appear in, or denouncing anyone with a gripe in a thread about your beloved.

News flash, being a fan of Ford doesnt always mean you cant appreciate what others have to offer or that ford are perfect at everything.

Post deleted in 5..4..3.
Keep counting...

I want see how low you can count backwards.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #64
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must they be real numbers? If he goes into negatives this could go on for quite a while
Old 16-01-2019, 12:49 AM   #65
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Keep counting...

I want see how low you can count backwards.
Wait, if i count backwards whilst winning at limbo will that be low enough..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 02:36 AM   #66
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Get back to the topic guys, have your say and move on.
Your not getting paid for clocking up your post count..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #67
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose when 'rationalization' takes place it usually means a loss of product and/or jobs . This is exactly that . Apparently Ford is going to collaborate with VW in the next few years as well . That could be interesting .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #68
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon VW will end up making a takeover bid for Ford. It makes perfect sense, VW is strong in Europe but weak in the US. Buying Ford solves that. The only strength Ford has in Europe is the commercial range and yet that is where they are partnering with VW....
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I reckon VW will end up making a takeover bid for Ford. It makes perfect sense, VW is strong in Europe but weak in the US. Buying Ford solves that. The only strength Ford has in Europe is the commercial range and yet that is where they are partnering with VW....
Ford is largely controlled by the Ford family I believe, they are the major shareholders. So I don't see them ever agreeing to a takeover.

Last edited by GasoLane; 16-01-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Try to stay on topic
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #70
twinturbo351

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Every Ford employee is a negative cost to Profit. Therefore with the elimination of Ford’s entire workforce all that will remain is 100% profit. Simple plan, what could go wrong...
You have to keep the share holders happy & it is a very hard world to keep competitive & survive.
twinturbo351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #71
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Last edited by GasoLane; 16-01-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Try to stay on topic
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #72
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Hacket has said there are 16 new EV’s due in the next 2 or 3 years, so we’ll see what that means to FoE.
Good.
Not sure if it's coincidence but VW just announced a second plant for
Chattanooga that will build EVs for itself and other manufacturers..
Maybe a gentle prod to Ford to hurry up and sign..;)

That aside,
I guess the T6 project team just got a whole lot more work, or have they know for a while...
either way it will be head down bum up with lots more work, or is Amarok the proverbial broom in the ***..LOL

i guess the Transit custom team are now in the same boat with designing the next VW Transporter..

Good times ahead..
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #73
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Good luck finding buyers for all these EVs. Currently 0.01% cars for sale on Carsales are EV.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #74
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Good luck finding buyers for all these EVs. Currently 0.01% cars for sale on Carsales are EV.
Didn't realise car sales sold cars all over the world....good to know.
Old 17-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #75
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Wheels have a real world EV test in their current issue and they had big troubles. Most of the charging points had broken plugs or didn't work, or were incompatible with some of them. They came to the conclusion we aren't ready for EV's here. No wonder we sell so few.
Old 17-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #76
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
People will buy them if there is infrastructure supporting it as there is for ICEs.
Australia is bum over head in innovating in this area (and many others).

Huge potential for EVs (and other such alternatives) here if the government would look past 3 years and into the future; start investing.
If they were serious we'd have EV charging points along key HWYs as pilot to test.
Old 17-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #77
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
People will buy them if there is infrastructure supporting it as there is for ICEs.
Australia is bum over head in innovating in this area (and many others).

Huge potential for EVs (and other such alternatives) here if the government would look past 3 years and into the future; start investing.
If they were serious we'd have EV charging points along key HWYs as pilot to test.
We already face the prospect of blackouts over summer. Imagine if EV's were everywhere.

Government won't want EV's charging drawing more power from the grid. They might actually have to get off their useless butt's and build a new baseload power station ie coal or nuclear. Then put up with protesting hippies who are too stupid to understand what baseload is, and too stupid to know why solar and wind can't provide it.
Old 17-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #78
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
We already face the prospect of blackouts over summer. Imagine if EV's were everywhere.

Government won't want EV's charging drawing more power from the grid. They might actually have to get off their useless butt's and build a new baseload power station ie coal or nuclear. Then put up with protesting hippies who are too stupid to understand what baseload is, and too stupid to know why solar and wind can't provide it.
We need governments to look past their tenure and make those tricky decisions that may not please everyone but will benefit us in the long term.
Long term inaction will hurt us, something will need to be done sooner rather than later, we won't have that choice.
Old 17-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #79
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn straight. I propose we extend the First Home Owners Grant to $50,000 and legislate it to extend for the next 30 years. That will keep house prices high and Australia will be wealthy for a generation (s)
Old 17-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #80
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I'm getting the feeling that the autonomous/electric future and 70% reduction in the size of the total car industry predicted by futurists is beginning.

If any of you like a particular type of car, grab it now and cherish it. Going to be very different in the future. My biggest curiosity is what happens if someone vomits in one of the ride sharing autonomous electric cars, how is that dealt with? Vomit sensors?
We have been conditioned to use cheap debt to buy or lease progressively more expensive vehicles. Vfacts shows the hilux and ranger as best sellers. Thats a big cultural evolution from the days when mainstream media led with articles campaiging for a basic, australian made car without fancy extras. When buying a second hand fleet car, invariably a falcon or similar, was a big expense, and the imported small cars were exy as well.

Electric cars are going to be expensive, meaning less affordable for the average buyer. Maybe we will be forced into ride sharing, shared ownership and so on by coercive legislation.

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...y-get-pricier/

I tend to think Sprintey is onto something here. The car companies are focussing on mobility solitions, whatever that means. I hope it isnt mass public transport and 'last mile' scooters and ride sharing...

The ongoing rise in the cost of ownership via imposed taxes and fees needs to be politicised in order to gain visibility and foster resistance. Meanwhile, petrol cars usage may well be demonized to pressure people into change, along with taxing owners into submission to dampen their resistance. No doubt plenty of shaming and pejorative labels will be involved.

As to cleaning costs ... there wont be any anonymous usage. So be easy enough to add a cleaning fee to the ride cost once something untoward is detected.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 17-01-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #81
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Damn straight. I propose we extend the First Home Owners Grant to $50,000 and legislate it to extend for the next 30 years. That will keep house prices high and Australia will be wealthy for a generation (s)
No, governments need to think about generational infrastructure planning, not the next 3 years ( to get votes).
4 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #82
hayseed

Quote:
No, governments need to think about generational infrastructure planning, not the next 3 years ( to get votes).
I doubt if Too Many are thinking past May this Year...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #83
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So true however are we the voters going to give any politician that campaigns on projects that could have end dates of 10 years or more our vote when an opposing political group could promise tax cuts or some subsidy for something in the next six months? Look at every post budget newspaper front page "What's in it for you"?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #84
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
So true however are we the voters going to give any politician that campaigns on projects that could have end dates of 10 years or more our vote when an opposing political group could promise tax cuts or some subsidy for something in the next six months? Look at every post budget newspaper front page "What's in it for you"?
Yes true Doc,

But we’ve moved into a new Estate in a growth area, and can say the infrastructure is out of control ( ie: in what is not available).

It seems that there is a huge disconnect between urban growth and future planning. Terrible !

Off topic though, I think this VW thing will have a part 2 with EV’s in Europe.
Old 18-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #85
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And maybe USA
Old 18-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #86
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I doubt if Too Many are thinking past May this Year...
Oh goody, up til then we here in the country are dangled the old high speed train link promise between Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne again, again, again.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #87
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just read a bit more on the Genk closure, the workers bargained so hard that approximately 4000 of them averaged over $US160K in payout and the production shift to Spain delayed the switch to the updated Mondeo for a very long time across Europe and here as well. The cost overall of about $US750Mill.

And now with this months announcements it seems the French government and obviously Ford workers are ballistic at Ford management as there's an offer by Punch to buy the plant and take on a fair few workers but have decided to close it down completely.
However there is a reason and Ford has been burnt before, it last sold this plant to a German company which went bankrupt and under French law was forced to take back ownership, something it doesn't' want to happen again if the new suitor Punch buys the plant and keeps about half the workers.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 19-01-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #88
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I just read a bit more on the Genk closure, the workers bargained so hard that approximately 4000 of them averaged over $US160K in payout and the production shift to Spain delayed the switch to the updated Mondeo for a very long time across Europe and here as well. The cost overall of about $US750Mill.
Context
Most of those workers had over 20 years service with Ford when they were sent down the road.
Ford is notorious for under funding its workers defined pension plans..It would be very hard for
most of them to find new jobs - not that Ford intended to screw its long term workers.(roll eyes)

Quote:
And now with this months announcements it seems the French government and obviously Ford workers are ballistic at Ford management as there's an offer by Punch to buy the plant and take on a fair few workers but have decided to close it down completely.

However there is a reason and Ford has been burnt before, it last sold this plant to a German company which went bankrupt and under French law was forced to take back ownership, something it doesn't' want to happen again if the new suitor Punch buys the plant and keeps about half the workers.
Ford sold the Blanquefort plant in 2009 to a company that planned to use it to make
windmill components. But the deal collapsed, and Ford bought back the factory in 2011.
The facility received aid from the French government in 2013 in return for Ford’s pledge
to continue production there for five years.

Blanquefort has supplied 5- and 6-speed automatic transmissions to BMW, General Motors,
Tata Motors and several Chinese vehicle manufacturers.

There's about 850 workers at the plant and I suspect that most of them are also long term
with over 20 years service.......they risk losing significant pension benefits.

Last edited by jpd80; 19-01-2019 at 10:30 AM.