Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
whitesoarer

Default Bleeding cooling system in v8

Hey guys

I'm about to replace the leaking heater tap in my Ghia and I just need to know how to bleed the coolant in the V8.

Is it as simple as running the car to operating temp with the heater on full and the reservoir cap off? I had a quick look under the bonnet last night and the reservoir appears to be the highest point in the cooling system (I think).

thanks in advance

whitesoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Default Re: Bleeding cooling system in v8

You got it. It will get a few more air pockets out with a few drives. Just keep checking it daily until it settles down.
-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
whitesoarer

Great, thanks for the quick reply.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
whitesoarer

I've got a bottle of this stuff at home

is it safe to use this in the Windsor?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Theres actually a thread I saw recently somewhere here about the 2 different kinds. The red and Green.

But for the likes of me I cant remember the outcome.... Me thinks someone was saying something like the red isnt a good idea. But I remember also reading that they can not be mixed. But if your bleeding the system then that wouldnt be an issue. I will try and find it.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06txr
From Nulon web site: (Long Life Green) = Hybrid Additive Technology (HAT) Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Hybrid Additive Technology (HAT) Coolant can be used in cooling systems manufactured with mixed types of metal (aluminium, cast iron, copper, brass, etc)and is safe for all types of vehicles.
(red long life) = Organic Additive Technology (OAT ) Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Organic Additive Technology (OAT) Coolant must be only used in cooling systems design to handle this specific type of coolant. Organic Additive Technology (AOT) Coolant is used in cooling systems manufactured predominantly with aluminium and plastic.

When we convert engines at work we change the water pump as it is not compatible with RED. - Interesting that our engines are all cast iron. Not sure what you would have to do in a falcon though. Stick to the green HAT
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Found it...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...lant+red+green
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
whitesoarer

Thanks for the link!

The old coolant in my Ghia is a rusty sort of colour, so I don't know if its the red stuff or just really old green coolant. My worry is that I won't be able to flush out all of the old stuff from the system.

Maybe I'll just stick to the green.

Quote:
1 making sure you remove all the old green mix as they cant mix at all, and 2 that you cant use it with a system that has any copper or brass
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

From memory take the cap off and hold at 2000 rpm with heater on full for 5 mins?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post