Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Geelong Revival car show/drag/hillclimb etc

On this weekend people!

It's getting better every year. Free to watch the racing, pit entry at hill climb is also free. Can pay for pit entry into sprint area if you like.

http://geelongrevival.com.au/wp/#home

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...b1375209dad30c
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 
Default Re: Geelong Revival car show/drag/hillclimb etc

Great event, I try to make an effort to watch every year. The Hillclimb addition is very entertaining, as it was last year. Will try to enter the drag in the XR6T next year, looks like a bit of fun!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks like a bloody awesome event

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s a good event. Wide variety of cars, was really good a few years ago when ex-Supercars were attending. There is always plenty of group c cars on Sunday.

Difficult to run a decent time at the sprint, the “track” is a slippery bitumen road surface which is neither straight nor flat. You also have a very short distance to pull the car up after the finish line with there being virtually no run off...
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all going well! I am doing the hill climb, there is an AU xr8 falcon that is smashing it! and talking about smashing it, but in a bad way, an AUDI RS7 was demolished, and I am guessing theres no insurance on that! $150 grand plus down the drain... before this run he did a 10.3 quarter mile!
4 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #6
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Sounds like you are have an good time there.

Sorry to learn about the Audi.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Its all going well! I am doing the hill climb, there is an AU xr8 falcon that is smashing it! and talking about smashing it, but in a bad way, an AUDI RS7 was demolished, and I am guessing theres no insurance on that! $150 grand plus down the drain... before this run he did a 10.3 quarter mile!
You can insure fro the track

It's not cheap compared to normal insurance but against 150k

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Is there any internet streaming, or radio broadcasting for todays event?
Old 26-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #9
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the Geelong Revival Motoring Festival Facebook page. Two of the Tickford Bathurst '77 Mustang tribute's look like they've made it to Geelong:

3 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think anyone would bother insuring. Even for 150 grand. Cost is typically 10% of the cost of the vehicle for the event!! That would be 15 grand just to take your car down the strip a few times. Surely no one would do that.

Anyway, I had a few goes at the hillclimb. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSzDijBP-fM
Good fun, I was just learning the track and my car with new semi slicks so wasnt pushing too hard. ( on saturday, 10% of the field crashed into barriers, most in the first run!)

And heres an article with pics of the S7 audi ; I guess doing a 10.3, he would be doing well over 220 over the finish line.
https://www.bay939.com.au/news/local...festival-crash

Last edited by EDManual; 26-11-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 26-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I will get down for this event. The smart chaps running this would see the popularity of goodwood etc and try to replicate this.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I dont think anyone would bother insuring. Even for 150 grand. Cost is typically 10% of the cost of the vehicle for the event!! That would be 15 grand just to take your car down the strip a few times. Surely no one would do that.

Anyway, I had a few goes at the hillclimb. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSzDijBP-fM
Good fun, I was just learning the track and my car with new semi slicks so wasnt pushing too hard. ( on saturday, 10% of the field crashed into barriers, most in the first run!)

And heres an article with pics of the S7 audi ; I guess doing a 10.3, he would be doing well over 220 over the finish line.
https://www.bay939.com.au/news/local...festival-crash
While you were up doing the hill climb I was down doing the sprint...

The Audi accident was a nasty one. The safety marshals didn’t even see brake lights at the 100 meter mark from the bend - he either missed the braking marker or badly underestimated just how quick you have to pull up at the end of a run... As you have said he would have been doing well over 200kph. A second drivers briefing was called after the accident to remind drivers to start washing off speed right after you cross the finish line... The whole incident suspended racing for a long time. At least the driver was OK.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #13
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice work EDManual, your car sounds sweet. Love that V8. You have some good brakes - pulling up to that first hairpin nicely, slipping your semi slicks a bit! Looks like fun, a bit jealous here!

I've noticed the last bit of the hill climb has changed a bit. It used to finish turning left, but now it turns right back onto itself, and on towards the start line. Not a bad idea getting the cars back into the pits quickly.

Bad luck for the Audi RS7, but doing a 10.3 is hauling, like you said maybe doing 220km/h at the finish line, theres not much braking area there, you sure do need to brake a little early!
Old 27-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #14
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a great day down there! Is it true the Audi didn’t belong to the driver? Heard it from a few people but wasn’t sure how true it was.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2017, 12:35 AM   #15
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres my car from the outside :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCbnKClEJ8A

nice and noisy!
Old 28-11-2017, 04:28 AM   #16
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Is there any more news on the Audi?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #17
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say it would have been his car. Checked out who the guy is. He owns a fairly big refridgerated transport company with coolstores and trucks and vans etc. I guess would have been his company car. No bonus for him then....