1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vfacts December 2022

Ranger back on top for December, Hilux wins the year.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...Z_pVQ6T8T1WD-b
Old 05-01-2023, 04:09 PM   #3
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On top, where Ranger belongs good job. Lets hope this time next year we are lauding Ranger for being top selling vehicle for all of 2023... Wait and see I suppose.

What never ceases to amaze me is Toyota sales for the whole range, all of 2022... 2.5 times second place... Nothing in the Toyota lineup is class leading (300 series cruiser is probably the one exception). I get they are the only ones that give hybrid options over most of the range, but still....

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ranger is flying now that the supply is there. Going to be a real fight for no 1 spot against the vastly inferior Hilux next year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #5
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Ranger will knock it off until they bring out their new one ? late 23 into 24 if my memory serves right, then its apples for apples for its a no brainer the current gen hilux is no match but for reputation and regular buyers who won't cross shop.
In the meantime Ranger will be able to really take the market all this year being leading platform.

BDaz, range range range is the TOY crowds weapon none have in the volume segements.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Last month, only 7 vehicles had more than 2,000 sales, so many nameplates to choose from…

Getting in before Bent,
No matter which way you slice it, Toyota closed out 2022 with 231,050 sales while Ford
was back in 6th with 66,28 sales, so Hilux with 64,391 almost covered all of Ford’s sales.

So here’s a target for Ford for 2023 - Ranger + Everest = 6,000/mth or 72,000 sales.
If tha sounds far fetched, imagine what they need to do to get over 200,000 sales…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 06:25 PM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Last month, only 7 vehicles had more than 2,000 sales, so many nameplates to choose from…

Getting in before Bent,
No matter which way you slice it, Toyota closed out 2022 with 231,050 sales while Ford
was back in 6th with 66,28 sales, so Hilux with 64,391 almost covered all of Ford’s sales.

So here’s a target for Ford for 2023 - Ranger + Everest = 6,000/mth or 72,000 sales.
If tha sounds far fetched, imagine what they need to do to get over 200,000 sales…
Ford Aust needs someone to bash a few Euro execs into shape and allocate more our way.....a new Transit Custom with EV option is coming, an updated Escape with less Mr McGoo looks is coming while the hybrid model should have been on sale half way through last year, the EV large Transit should have been on sale late last year...and why can Ford NZ talk about and sell the Mach-E and it's Sargeant Shultz behaviour here......so much should have, would have.. but for pathetic allocation from Ford Europe....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 07:29 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

December Figures -

Brands -
1 Toyota 16,274 up 0.2 per cent
2 Mazda 8500 up 20.1 per cent
3 Ford 6165 up 13.5 per cent
4 Kia 5630 up 15.4 per cent
5 MG 5194 up 58.9 per cent
6 Mitsubishi 4927 down 12.9 per cent
7 Hyundai 4434 down 22.7 per cent
8 Subaru 4071 up 45.2 per cent
9 GWM Haval 3295 up 116.8 per cent
10 Volkswagen 3059 up 25.1 per cent

Models -
1 Ford Ranger 4663 up 12 per cent
2 Toyota HiLux 4271 up 11.8 per cent
3 MG ZS 3056 up 54.3 per cent
4 Toyota RAV4 2193 down 26.9 per cent
5 Mazda CX-3 2068 up 191.7 per cent
6 Mits Outlander 2052 up 52.9 per cent
7 Toyota Corolla 1843 up 45 per cent
8 Tesla Model 3 1806 Data not available
9 Hyundai Tucson 1643 up 57.2 per cent
10 Mazda CX-5 1637 down 23.8 per cent

Ford -
Ford Escape – 129
Ford Everest – 926
Ford Fiesta – 4
Ford Focus – 8
Ford Mustang – 88
Ford Puma – 148
Ford Ranger 4x2 – 550
Ford Ranger 4x4 – 4113
Ford Transit Bus – 0
Ford Transit Custom – 197
Ford Transit Heavy – 2
Ford total – 6165

I have advocated for this for a long time, but if only Ford put a little more effort into 4x2 Ranger, they would easily have the number one position and all the bragging rights and recognition that comes from that. And that does not mean they have to sell cut-price models either.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 08:43 PM   #9
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Riddle me this. If Toyota sold 231K, how come the dealers I've walked in to recently both east and west have had near zero new stock on display? It's all 2nd hand on front row, or even other brands' cars. It's the weirdest new car showrooms I've ever seen from the big T.

I guess sales go straight from the boat to Mr Smith who has been waiting 18 months?
Old 05-01-2023, 08:58 PM   #10
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct.
I checked the local T dealer on this.
And their used prices are just so high unbelievable.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2023, 09:42 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Ford Aust needs someone to bash a few Euro execs into shape and allocate more our way.....a new Transit Custom with EV option is coming, an updated Escape with less Mr McGoo looks is coming while the hybrid model should have been on sale half way through last year, the EV large Transit should have been on sale late last year...and why can Ford NZ talk about and sell the Mach-E and it's Sargeant Shultz behaviour here......so much should have, would have.. but for pathetic allocation from Ford Europe....
FoE is a basket case. They had 3 of the top selling cars in europe a couple of years ago in the Focus, Fiesta and Escape. And they have all dropped away, especially the Focus and Fiesta. Escape is still doing ok i think, and Puma is now Ford’s biggest seller there. And Ford is number 1 in commercial vehicles with Transit and Ranger. But they have basically let Focus and Fiesta die and are putting all their eggs in the EV SUV basket. I really don’t know if this will ever pay off, especially with Europe being such a small city car market, and ICE’s not being banned till 2035. It’s going to be a lean few years for them imo.

But then again, SUV’s are more profitable, and the Puma already makes up half of FoE’s profits.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:43 AM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota...livery-centre/

Another interesting initiative from Toyota…

A further push to delete dealers out of the supply chain imho!

As for hilux its all fleet base spec, governments and mines.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2023, 01:58 AM   #13
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Yer nah, with the overall numbers they sell nationally service is the key and dealers provide the end product and link.
If it was a struggling brand sure you could see it that way not them.
Staggering numbers tbh considering the challenges and dominate like the holden ford days of old but with 3/4 models in sales mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2023, 07:16 AM   #14
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota...livery-centre/

Another interesting initiative from Toyota…

A further push to delete dealers out of the supply chain imho!

As for hilux its all fleet base spec, governments and mines.
Honda already do this.All incoming vehicles from Japan that are destined for NSW dock @ Port Kembla & have their PD inspection carried out there.The only thing the dealer does is put any accessories on & register the vehicle.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:41 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
FoE is a basket case. They had 3 of the top selling cars in europe a couple of years ago in the Focus, Fiesta and Escape. And they have all dropped away, especially the Focus and Fiesta. Escape is still doing ok i think, and Puma is now Ford’s biggest seller there. And Ford is number 1 in commercial vehicles with Transit and Ranger. But they have basically let Focus and Fiesta die and are putting all their eggs in the EV SUV basket. I really don’t know if this will ever pay off, especially with Europe being such a small city car market, and ICE’s not being banned till 2035. It’s going to be a lean few years for them imo.

But then again, SUV’s are more profitable, and the Puma already makes up half of FoE’s profits.
While Focus, Fiesta and Escape were indeed top sellers for Ford Europe, they made little if any profit
beyond recovery of development and manufacturing costs. As far as I can see, that’s the main interest
why Ford has no interest in funding future product cycles.

The problem with countries like Australia is that we’re lumped in with Euro RHD build preferences that
for the most part, don’t align with our markets tastes and preferences, now more like RHD America….
Fortunately Ford Europe is being told to take on a more American flavour, we’ll see if that helps us…
Old 06-01-2023, 03:09 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
While Focus, Fiesta and Escape were indeed top sellers for Ford Europe, they made little if any profit
beyond recovery of development and manufacturing costs. As far as I can see, that’s the main interest
why Ford has no interest in funding future product cycles.

The problem with countries like Australia is that we’re lumped in with Euro RHD build preferences that
for the most part, don’t align with our markets tastes and preferences, now more like RHD America….
Fortunately Ford Europe is being told to take on a more American flavour, we’ll see if that helps us…
Yeah small cars make stuff all profits. It’s why europe has been in red ink so much over the past decade. It makes me wonder if ford hq made the decision to give them the smallest allocation of chips over the past few years because they were pretty unprofitable anyway, so may as well divert chips to more profitable vehicles elsewhere. Fiesta and Focus were being killed off anyway, so reputational damage doesn’t really matter. Hence the struggle to get any stock out of europe.

At this point going to more profitable SUV’s is about their only way to make solid money. But with europe being so small car focused, i’m not sure how it will go. Puma does well though, but it is a small car.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:50 PM   #17
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe China could be asked to build RHD models...........they build a better looking Explorer than the US version and a few other interesting models.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2023, 07:42 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We've got two on the Bingo card already and we're on the first page, what were Tesla's monthly figures for December?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2023, 08:41 PM   #19
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But
A ship docked Dec 20 with another 4000

And they Tesla have reduced prices today by approx 3 k in Aus
Old 06-01-2023, 11:56 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah small cars make stuff all profits. It’s why europe has been in red ink so much over the past decade. It makes me wonder if ford hq made the decision to give them the smallest allocation of chips over the past few years because they were pretty unprofitable anyway, so may as well divert chips to more profitable vehicles elsewhere. Fiesta and Focus were being killed off anyway, so reputational damage doesn’t really matter. Hence the struggle to get any stock out of europe.

At this point going to more profitable SUV’s is about their only way to make solid money. But with europe being so small car focused, i’m not sure how it will go. Puma does well though, but it is a small car.
The way I see Ford Europe is
- BEV Puma
- Mach E imported from US
- Cologne BEV SUV Escape sized
- Cologne BEV Crossover Focus Active sized
All remaining ICEs are going to get harder and harder to sell, even HEV/PHEVs.

All of those would have a decent chance in our market but I just know they’ll jealousy guard all of them.

So maybe convincing Ford China to build some RHD exports would bolster their hybrid products
You can’t get a straight answer out of Ford as to how many actual sales China gets, they’re
hiding a ton of sunk funds that often present as red ink, too slow responding to changed
buyer interest in China…..
Old 07-01-2023, 10:57 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Maybe China could be asked to build RHD models...........they build a better looking Explorer than the US version and a few other interesting models.
Imagine the sooking that would happen if that eventuated, although no one seems to care if tesla gets most of their cars out of china. Everyone turns a blind eye to that.
Old 07-01-2023, 11:54 PM   #22
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...anks-to-toyota

Life after Holden! Walkinshaw doing just fine without Holden Commodore thanks to Toyota Tundra, Ram 1500 and Chevrolet Silverado full-size pick-ups

Walkinshaw is keeping busy after HSV thanks to right-hand drive remanufacturing.

Tung Nguyen

News Editor

7 Jan 2023 • 4 min read

Five years on from the demise of the locally built Holden, Walkinshaw Automotive Group (WAG) is in an even better position than it was while producing Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) models.

That’s according to WAG director Ryan Walkinshaw, who told CarsGuide the company’s right-hand-drive remanufacturing activities for the Ram 1500, Chevrolet Silverado and upcoming Toyota Tundra, as well as development work on the flagship W-series Volkswagen Amarok, has allowed them to go from strength to strength.

“We’ve come a long way in the last sort of 12 years. We’ve gone from being about 280 employees 12 years ago when I started,” he said.

“[We had} a really nice successful business in HSV doing good volume of 3000 units a year, and now thanks to programs like VW Amarok, our growth has been quite impressive, particularly in the last sort of four or five years since after Holden closed down [local manufacturing of Commodore].

“We’ve gone from one OE partnership to multiply early partnerships, we’ve got fantastic new facilities, we’ve got second-to-none engineering facilities and infrastructure here in Australia."

“One of the bonuses of a lot of the automotive brands closing down, was we were able to cherry pick a lot of the best staff from Toyota, Ford and Holden, which has allowed us to become the biggest and best automotive business in Australia in our eyes."

“Now we’re at 1500 employees and we’re doing 12,000 units this year, and we see that growing significantly over the next few years as more programs come online.”

Mr Walkinshaw was also quick to point out that this means local vehicle development and manufacturing is still alive and well in Australia, despite no production models being assembled here.

“Our success story in Victoria and Australia, in our view, is a success story for Australian manufacturing,” he said.

“We can still do this here, it’s different to what it used to be, it’s not the same as what we had with Toyota, Holden and Ford, but it doesn’t mean that we can’t have a fantastic large market doing good volume, employing lots of people with a good supplier base.

“And still have an automotive industry that we’re proud of. It’s not the same, it’s different, but it’s still something that should be respected and should be appreciated and should be invested in.”

Walkinshaw aren’t the only local engineering outfit operating in Australia, however, with Premcar designing and developing the local Warrior program for Nissan that encompasses the Navara ute and soon-to-launch Patrol SUV.

Likewise, RMA Holdings will partner with Ford to right-hand-drive remanufacture the full-sized F-150 pick-up from mid-2023, competing directly against the Walkinshaw-reassembled Ram 1500, Chevrolet Silverado and upcoming Toyota Tundra.

Ford Australia also employs a circa-2000-strong engineering team who worked on the new-generation Ranger ute and Everest SUV, and will be moved to other projects for overseas markets now those two crucial models are on sale.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2023, 01:25 AM   #23
stock1991
Limited supply

Everybody is free, apparently. To feel good
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2023, 08:51 AM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the brands that suffered big losses in 2022 - Nissan, Honda,
Subaru, Lexus, VW, Audi, Jaguar/Land Rover…..

So I’m wondering how many of those will completely drop off buyers
radars over the next few years, is that already happening?
Old 08-01-2023, 09:51 AM   #25
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The rise and rise of Chinese brands sales.
An apparent decline in Euro brands sales.

Can the euro s recover.
VAG talk a big game but dont deliver.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #26
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
The rise and rise of Chinese brands sales.
An apparent decline in Euro brands sales.

Can the euro s recover.
VAG talk a big game but dont deliver.
Its just the start.
Europe are strangling themselves under the guise of climate change and excess living cost.
They have an aging native population and a generation of gen Y and Z males that resemble women more than men.
Watch the Chinese do more joint ventures, poaching more engineers or buying them outright for their tech and market share.

I see Cadogan has just done a vid of what jpd80 highlights, but also puts the boot into Ford/Ranger and Toyota. He is too predictable.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #27
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Imagine the sooking that would happen if that eventuated, although no one seems to care if tesla gets most of their cars out of china. Everyone turns a blind eye to that.
Tesla isn't a JV. Everyone else is.

With Europe committed to electric, it would seem the Chinese might be kind enough to supply our addiction to ICE in the future and they'll become the dominant player in Australia.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2023, 11:17 AM   #28
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The CCP has a long term strategy to dominate electric car sales.
Can sell bev s to Europe cheaper than the Europeans.
Does Europe put up a Tariff wall?

Smoo Chinese males look pretty soft too mate.
Our young blokes are ok they all want to drive double cab utes to express their manliness
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2023, 11:54 AM   #29
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Tesla isn't a JV. Everyone else is.

With Europe committed to electric, it would seem the Chinese might be kind enough to supply our addiction to ICE in the future and they'll become the dominant player in Australia.

Europe's commitment to EV's will be the downfall of most of their manufacturers, but it will take a decade or so for that to materialise. Toyota have indicated ICE still have a long life in their vehicle lineup, they don't have an EV equivalent for their most popular vehicles; LandCruiser, Prado, Hilux, Fortuner. There's no push from the Middle East for EV's, they've an abundance of cheap fuel.

It will be interesting to follow how China reads the market.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #30
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Europe's commitment to EV's will be the downfall of most of their manufacturers, but it will take a decade or so for that to materialise. Toyota have indicated ICE still have a long life in their vehicle lineup, they don't have an EV equivalent for their most popular vehicles; LandCruiser, Prado, Hilux, Fortuner. There's no push from the Middle East for EV's, they've an abundance of cheap fuel.

It will be interesting to follow how China reads the market.
European cars sell the most in Europe and the US. Both have EV mandates. They'll be safe. Now even Ford, GM and Chrysler are in on EVs. I don't see it being their downfall.

Maybe in Australia but we're a rounding error for most of those manufacturers.

Toyota will hurt without US and Europe in the future. Australia isn't big enough for them either.

kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post