Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Default Removing Rear window tint, How?

--I wasnt sure what section to put this in, so if a mod knows a more appropriate place feel free to move it--

I need to get bubbly, crappy tint off the rear window of my car, I have scraped, peeled and none seem to be working very well...

Heating just made it stickier and softer which was harder to remove, even then its only in tiny pieces.

Tint-a-car suggested scraping off the demister bars, because thats what they would do
That method defies the point of removing it for roadworthy purposes..

The glue would be easy, just a bit of wax and grease remover gets it off.

Anybody have any suggestions that could work?

Or should i just get a new rear-window fitted?

Cheers, Noel.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pay a tinting company to take it off.... i was quoted $90 to remove all the tints on my ef recently, although over priced it was for all the windows. So the rear shouldnt be too bad...
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Have you tried thinners or metholated spirits? I'd probably give something like that a go myself.
A new window would look nice and clean also.Go to windscreens o'brien or something and get a price for a new window to be fitted fitting.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont599
Pay a tinting company to take it off.... i was quoted $90 to remove all the tints on my ef recently, although over priced it was for all the windows. So the rear shouldnt be too bad...
The tinting company i asked told me to hit it with the razor, demister bars and all. They also said thats how they would do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsMyUserName
Have you tried thinners or metholated spirits? I'd probably give something like that a go myself.
A new window would look nice and clean also.Go to windscreens o'brien or something and get a price for a new window to be fitted fitting.
I have tried K&N Wax and Grease remover, and eucalyptus oil, it got me very high but unfortunately not the film off the window.

Funny thing is, I found a reciept for the tinting, apparently "life-time warranty" dosent mean what i thought.... :

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Acetone will get the glue off better than wax and grease remover
It will get you high as well

Never done a back window but, the demister and aerial bars would be a pain to get around.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same prob with 20 year old bubbled tint.
Lots of hard work with a stanley trimmer blade, I did eventually get there and used some thinners to get rid of the glue residue.
Good luck.
Old 18-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

Ah man I have the same problem on mine...definitely not keen on the idea of screwing around with a stanley blade for hours on end...guess I'll go get a quote for removal and/or retinting...without taking off my demister bars though :O
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...highlight=tint

Use a domestic steam cleaning wand so you don't damage the demister.