Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #121
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Time to mod my LV

And this guy (focus36) used a pacemaker cheater harness to acheive the same effect: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1250385&page=2 - see post 36
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #122
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
And this guy (focus36) used a pacemaker cheater harness to acheive the same effect: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1250385&page=2 - see post 36
How much of a pain was it using your method? Since mine isn't a petrol I have no idea where the sensors are.

Also is there much of a difference between the stock and hi flow cat in terms of performance?

I'd also be looking to change my turbo pipe in the long run.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #123
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

My method wasn't a pain at all. You just need a good drill!

The stock cat in a Focus will be restrictive compared to a high-flow cat.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #124
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
Nice, remember you will need to get yourself a 70mm 90deg bend tube and a 12mm hose, 70cm should do i'm going to cut mine down it's annoying me being extra long, the more i think about it the more it irritates me.
Will this do the trick, or would I need something a little longer?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300597669...#ht_500wt_1156

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #125
ConradP

Yeah that will do, mine was prob a bit bigger and i had to cut several cm off each end of it.

Oh and don't forget you need hose clamps for each end as well there is some on the stock one you can steal if needed, but you'll need smaller ones for the 12mm hose too.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #126
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, no worries. I picked up some nice looking (Chinese made) hose clamps at Bunnings.

Old 13-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #127
ConradP

Rims done, now to wait for the springs

I noticed the rear left ford logo is loose, is there a way i can make it so it doesn't spin around..?
Old 13-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #128
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice wheels mate, they look great. Will look even better when the springs are in. What rubber did you go with?
Old 13-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #129
ConradP

I got falken tyres, 250 a peice, was tempted to get some yokos but that's an extra 55 each for the cheap ones..
Old 13-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #130
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good, Conrad.

Btw, is there any provision in the Apollo for water drainage? The standard airbox has a few holes in the bottom, and the Apollo tube will be set lower down, so the risk must be a bit higher. I'm thinking I'll put mesh over it (maybe a flour sifter or sink strainer, or some such), but I'm concerned about water ingestion.

Old 13-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #131
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Looks good, Conrad.

Btw, is there any provision in the Apollo for water drainage? The standard airbox has a few holes in the bottom, and the Apollo tube will be set lower down, so the risk must be a bit higher. I'm thinking I'll put mesh over it (maybe a flour sifter or sink strainer, or some such), but I'm concerned about water ingestion.
Thanks

As far as i can see there's nothing besides the filter itself :P but I'm not running the hose off it anyway, gotta shorten my pipe a bit more.
Old 13-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #132
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm concerned about water ingestion.
You can always cut the pipe down in length so it doesn't sit too low.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #133
ConradP

Has anyone found a different engine cover I could use? Just something nice looking rather than the big black standard one the lx comes with.
Old 14-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #134
focus36
Starter Motor

Hi flow cat will make quite a difference (in my mechanics opinion you would be silly to do the exhaust and leave a standard flow cat in there) . And that pacemaker cheater harness was about $85 from my local exhaust place. (must get around to putting up pics of the whole job!).

Also totally changed the intake on mine since. Got rid of that stupid lower airbox and have cold air coming from a pod sitting where the passenger side fog light cover (used to be).... Left the stock airbox in the engine bay, but....... there is no longer anything in it so it looks totally stock if anyone ever wonders.

Freeing up the air intake was a big must since having the whole exhaust opened up (4-1 header, hi-flow cat and 2.5" all the way through, same as DZ) and could tell a definite difference once intake was completed

I think it could still do with a tune at some stage though... ?
focus36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #135
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus36
Hi flow cat will make quite a difference (in my mechanics opinion you would be silly to do the exhaust and leave a standard flow cat in there) . And that pacemaker cheater harness was about $85 from my local exhaust place. (must get around to putting up pics of the whole job!).

Also totally changed the intake on mine since. Got rid of that stupid lower airbox and have cold air coming from a pod sitting where the passenger side fog light cover (used to be).... Left the stock airbox in the engine bay, but....... there is no longer anything in it so it looks totally stock if anyone ever wonders.

Freeing up the air intake was a big must since having the whole exhaust opened up (4-1 header, hi-flow cat and 2.5" all the way through, same as DZ) and could tell a definite difference once intake was completed

Do you know where I could get the pacemaker from besides you local? Because the guys who did mine said that they couldn't do anything with the cat I did want to get it all done don't worry, and I will be looking into a tune some day in the future, just need to get saving now.

Still need pay to get the springs in and i'll get them to put my front strut in when i get it all as well, I don't want to mess with any of the suspension stuff myself just incase something goes wrong.
Old 14-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #136
ConradP

Woke up early and decided I was going to finally fit the hose onto my intake!

Sooo here's what i have come up with, it just hangs straight down, had to bend it straight down there is bugger all room to play with, gonna go see if anything goes wrong later on before work.

I was originally wanted to have it coming to the front grille, but it simply wont bend that way so this will do for now until i work out another solution.
Old 14-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #137
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few questions for you...

1. Is this noticeably better than stock, even without the hose attached?

2. Is it possible to turn it so the top of the cone faces more towards the front of the car? That might help with your aim of heading for the grille.

3. What does your partner think about you getting up early on a weekday to do this?

Old 14-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #138
ConradP

Quote:
A few questions for you...

1. Is this noticeably better than stock, even without the hose attached?

2. Is it possible to turn it so the top of the cone faces more towards the front of the car? That might help with your aim of heading for the grille.

3. What does your partner think about you getting up early on a weekday to do this?
1. Yeah i noticed a nice increase without the hose, but figured with those hose would be best, a little less cold air > alot of hot air for the engine.
The main reason I ran it without the hose was the sound is more noticeable with it off, with the hose it comes out of the end of the hose more, but now with my exhaust I don't really hear it too much anyway :P

2. In the pic you can see to the left that's the front of the car, just behind the headlight so it can't go anywhere unless i can a pipe that goes back then faces forward, could be possible but would need to get it made up properly so would be a big S shaped pipe.

3. I'm only 22 and living at home so no partner to worry about, dads over seas with work, step mum had left earlier and i just took my sister up the road to get her bus so the only people that would be worried are the neighbors when i started it up to make sure it still ran
Old 14-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #139
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I think that's the next stage. Will probably look at Bullet Peformance Racing first. Are you in Vic?
Old 14-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #140
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's OK, buddy. His car won't have lost $30k in depreciation in a few years' time.

Last edited by MR_LON; 14-09-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: removing quoted post
Old 14-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #141
b2tf
not here much anymore

Out of coffee this morning obviously.

Last edited by MR_LON; 14-09-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: remove quoted post
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #142
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I ran my intake hose to the passenger side wheel arch, it sucked in a bit of water once when it was sticking out too far so I recessed it a bit.

Works well for the most part, and being outside the engine is nice and loud

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #143
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have such a bad strike rate on these forums. All your threads end up getting locked by the moderators. Can't you take a message?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=3729665
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332785

Last edited by MR_LON; 14-09-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: remove quoted post
Old 14-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #144
ConradP

Lol what happened? I'm assuming somone said i'm silly for modding my focus, honestly to each his own, i've had it for a year now since new and i've always wanted to make it "mine" so that's just what I'm doing.

Now back on topic i've got something unknown waiting at the post office for me when i head home tonight
Old 14-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #145
focus36
Starter Motor

ConradP - My exhaust fitter ordered the pacemaker cheater harness from pacemaker. I'm not sure what type of cat you are trying to get fitted. About all i can certainly say is that it works with the x-force hi flow cat (which your dealer should be able to order from them).
Old 14-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #146
focus36
Starter Motor

and the cat itself was around $280
Old 14-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #147
focus36
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
Yeah I think that's the next stage. Will probably look at Bullet Peformance Racing first. Are you in Vic?
Naa I'm in Tas. We have a really reputable tuning shop down here. Just not sure weather to wait till more work is done.... but that means spending alot more! What are your thoughts on your throttle body DZ?
Old 14-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #148
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Out of coffee this morning obviously.
He wont be bothering this place again. As you were guys.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #149
ConradP

Quote:
ConradP - My exhaust fitter ordered the pacemaker cheater harness from pacemaker. I'm not sure what type of cat you are trying to get fitted. About all i can certainly say is that it works with the x-force hi flow cat (which your dealer should be able to order from them).

and the cat itself was around $280
There's an xforce joint around where i live in vic so i might give it a look soon, they shouldn't need to fiddle with my current cat back piping though should they? It would be alright to just drop the headers cat and pacemaker in?

I'll check it all out in a few weeks, when i get my springs and whatnot.

I saw you put the rear strut in, I was thinking of doing that but then saw on the LV that it is lower and being that it makes the boot size halved, I've ordered a front strut from euro parts so that should arrive with the springs, and I was going to look into a rear swaybar to stiffen up the *** end.

Oh and today I don't know what's happened but it's as if the car has only just accepted that I've got a new exhaust and wanted to just spin the wheels, got sideways going around a roundabout a bit to quickly, and I go around it every day on the way to work and that never happened before.

Oh and before I forget here's what was waiting at the post office for me, just something small.

Adds a little bit more class to the LX name :P Can't wait for the new headlights though, they have a glossy black backing rather than the chrome on the stock ones, will go nice with the colour scheme of the wheels and if I ever end up getting a Xr5 spoiler(I'll be painting it black)

Last edited by ConradP; 14-09-2011 at 07:17 PM.
ConradP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #150
ConradP

May I ask if you know the cost of the headers as well focus36?