Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 19-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
philodi
Starter Motor

Unhappy 2000 laser 1.6 stalls/cuts out in traffic

guys save me from torching my baby,, it stopped 3 times today, after 5 mins it will restart but during that time it has power to coil packs, injectors crank angle sensor etc, . Runs lovely all day long , dont use oil, make noises, starts every morning. . i changed knock sensor, plugs, plug leads,main relay, fuel pump relay, air filter,cleaned air flow sensor , scanned ..no fault code:dohs!!!

philodi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: 2000 laser 1.6 stalls/cuts out in traffic

Ignition module????

I remember on slightly earlier models the ignition module would just not respond ... and then work ... and eventually ... pack it in completely and not start at all.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know this thread is a few months old but I have the same problem with my 1993 Telstar. One dizzy already packed it in and it seems (Ford Service etc) the only way to fix this is to replace the distributor. That blows I know and I hate the fact that Ford gets away with this crud. $400 to $500 for a new dizzy. I even know what the problem is. The hall sensor/crank angle sensor in the dizzy fails because of engine oil getting in to the body of the distributor past the O-ring seals on the dizzy shaft. Try getting a new sensor! HA! >$300 plus fitting if you can find one. Other option is to get a working one from wreckers. I got my Telstar one for $30 from Pick'n'Payless in Blacktown
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I had a similar issue with a 1993 V6 Telstar, it also turned out to be the distributor causing the problem. In this model the electronic circuitry in the base of the dizzy has a waterproof silicone coating over it (obviously to prevent moisture getting in) the trouble is that over a period of time the silicone goes hard and develops cracks, the moisture then gets into the circuitry and gradually corrodes it. The fix was a reconditioned dizzy at a price of $500 and that was a good 10 years back, it was apparently a common problem in that model and it would appear many others as well, not just Fords either :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man has a 1994 laser with 200,000 klms on it & in the last few weeks it has started cutting out, first it would only be maybe twice a week but now its every time he takes it out. It just cuts out without any warning & by the time you pull over to the side of the road it starts staight up again. He changed out the ignition module about 6 months ago. Any idea's ?

Dave.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

71cop, it will, sooner or later, stop for good. Might be a bit blunt but buy a car that does not have everything in the distributor.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
flossie
Starter Motor

A wee bit late, hopefully this information just might still help you or the next person. I recently had this problem in my 2000 laser hatch 1.6 fixed & now she runs like a charm no more cut outs. The Cam Sensor was faulty, so these lovely mechanics removed & replaced the sensor & also cleared faults codes, I found with the labour + part it was rather reasonable.
flossie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post