Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 26-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Looking at a KN or KQ

Hey Guys,

Girlfriend likes the look of KN & KQ Lasers and wants to look at buying one in the near future. Only thing is though I have no idea what to look for with Lasers or anything about them really! Give me a Falcon any day....I've been through plenty!

So are there any issues with them I should look for when checking them out? I read on FordLaser.com that they have timing belts so that would need to changed every 100k or so I assume, big/expensive job or can do at home? I also read that they're a non-interference motor, but the person who said that did not specify whether it was the 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0.

What are we looking for?

Old 27-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Looking at a KN or KQ

I wouldn't be bothering with anything other than the 2.0 - none of them are bad engines but they smaller ones are noticeably lacking in power.

Timing belts are something you could manage if reasonably competent.

Otherwise, they generally have a good reputation for reliability, are reasonably plentiful and parts are easy to come by.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I'm pretty sure the only Laser with the 2.0 motor was the SR2 ? If so they are a nice little car, very sporty looking and go quite well. I would however be careful when choosing that it has had regular log book servicing because the engines can be quite expensive to repair. I went through this on a 2001 model I purchased for my son a few years back, it had good service history but there was a period of about 6 - 12 months and 20,000 k's where there was no service history recorded and unfortunately for us after having a full service done we discovered later that the engine had obviously been doctored to cover up a valve stem seal issue. Quotes ranged from $2,000 to $4,500 to repair I traded it in a couple of days later and actually managed to get the money back on it My eldest son also had a Laser for many years, it was a KH Ghia hatch, 1.8i 5 speed manual, air, steer, 4 wheel discs etc.... We dropped in a K and N panel filter and had a sports muffler fitted and it went like a little rocket. It never gave him any real trouble and apart from the usual serviceable items such as brakes, oil, filters and the like it had a new clutch at around 170,000 k's and we had to change the idle control valve at some stage too due to fluctuation when idling, I managed to pick up another complete throttle body unit and replaced the whole thing ($30 from the wreckers)
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Cheers guys!

Doesn't sound like there is too much to worry about then.

Yeah the SR2 was the only one with the 2.0 so I don't know if we'll be able to find the right car with that motor because they aren't as common but it'll be the 1.8 at an absolute minimum.
Old 27-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Cheers guys!

Doesn't sound like there is too much to worry about then.

Yeah the SR2 was the only one with the 2.0 so I don't know if we'll be able to find the right car with that motor because they aren't as common but it'll be the 1.8 at an absolute minimum.

Happy hunting
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about telestar 2.0 conversion on a laser?

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post