Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default 2nd year anniversary.

Yes, this is another one of those random car update threads. Personally I like reading these sorts of threads as they are a welcome change from the usual "Help, my EA won't start" or "should I get superlows?" If you don't like it you don't have to comment

Anyway, it all began just over 2 years when on my brother Damo's birthday we were cruising around Car City to see what sort of nice E-series they had. At the time I was becoming a little bit bored with the VS Berlina that I had bought only 9 months earlier. After wandering around for a bit and speaking to a handful of dealers, it was becoming apparant that I wasn't going to find a ED XR6 or XR8 which I had orginally set out for.

I had nearly given up hope when one of us spotted a Gunmetal Grey EL Fairmont Ghia V8. The V8 sign plastered across the windscreen was what caught my attention. The main thing I remember from the test drive was that it was smoother than anything else I had ever driven up to that point. Having a VS probably helped enforce that point ;P

A week later I had the EL in my posession and I felt I like I was finally back in a car that I belonged in.

It was never going to stay stock for long. A few months later I picked up a genuine set of EF/EL XR 16s off the old forums and put them on just in time for the E-series GOR cruise. A few days later with the help of Sundeep we also put in a set of King Superlow springs. By this stage I had also replaced the side repeaters with NL Fairlane ones.

I was pretty happy with how the car looked and performed, but one day Damo and I were bored so we decided to swap the EL GT replicas from his (my old) EA onto the EL. I was pretty happy with how it looked and he wasn't really interested in having mags so we decided to leave it that way.

A few months later in January '05 my mate and I decided to head to a Heathcote Test and Tune to see what she was capable of as a stocker. In 32 degree heat I reeled off a 15.8, which I was pretty happy with.

Inspired by the performance at Heathcote I got a cheap 2.5" single exhaust fitted and also added a K&N air filter. Next time out at Heathcote I pulled a 15.5 again in very high temp.

About the only thing I was unhappy with at this stage was the old crappy yellow headlights. I got a brand new pair from Ford (don't ask how much $$$) and I also had some Pacemaker PH4000 extractors fitted. The car stayed this way for a long time without any other mods.

When the vplates website was up and running I ordered some new plates to give the car a bit of an identity.

Around Christmas time last year I tracked down a EL2 XR8 'Explorer' manifold off the forums. With the help of my brother we fitted it up no worries and got it strated, but it was having trouble idling and was driving very rough.

On the GOR cruise that year Karl and Scott Hart were kind enough to look at it for me. Well Karl found the problem nearly straight away. It had a big vacuum leak from a hose that wasn't hooked up to anything.

With the car running well again I was off to the AFF drag meet in Jan 06 hoping for a low 15. On a very hot day I came away with a new pb of only 15.4 but I did manage to win the DYO open class and $250 thanks to ACE. It was a great day and one of my happiest memories with the car.

A few months ago I struck a deal with Damo, where I swapped him some car audio stuff I had for a pair of Pedders sports rider struts that he was going to put in his EB. This bourght the front of the EL down a fair bit. Probably too much because the rear end was looking pretty high, so I bought a pair of King SSL 'Ultra low' springs for the rear. The car was now sitting at what I would consider to be a nice ride height.

About a month ago I ventured back to Heathcote determined to get a low 15 sec pass. Well I was shocked when the first run of the day got me a 14.9 @ 91mph. A couple of runs later I set a new pb of 14.82 @ 91 mph.

This week I got a new 2.5" single system with High flow cats fitted. The car feels much better to drive and is still pretty quiet which I love. Here is a quick vid.

This is where things currently stand and the only mods planned for now are to get the windows tinted before summer and possibly a Unichip. Thanks for taking the time to read this long thread I hope it wasn't too boring

Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Sundeep
Banned

Mad.. hope there's more to come ;)

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

i can't beleive its been 2 years!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Thats awesome well done and the car looks awesome!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice! Gotta love a thread about progress.
Old 15-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

2 years, jeez. Can clearly see your vac leak in that photo too :P

Always loved it Ash, but dammit I want that ride height! I think I'll just give up right now and go get Sportsryder front shocks and ultralows for the rear.

Only thing I'd change if it were mine would be slapping on the Ticky skirts, but hey, it's not.

And it's not a boring thread, there's heaps of progress in that.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
2 years, jeez. Can clearly see your vac leak in that photo too :P

Always loved it Ash, but dammit I want that ride height! I think I'll just give up right now and go get Sportsryder front shocks and ultralows for the rear.

Only thing I'd change if it were mine would be slapping on the Ticky skirts, but hey, it's not.
lol about the vacuum leak, yeah I was/still am a bit of an amatuer with the under bonnet stuff.

I had always planned some Tickford skirts, but scrapage is a massive issue for me as it is. But we'll see...

Thanks for the nice comments so far

Quote:
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Old 15-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
AdzT3-146
own the road

Nice Ash, it's certainly come a long way. :

And as Shaun said the car looks awesome.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
niko
likes falcon's

nice, engine bay needs a good detail though
Old 15-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
nice, engine bay needs a good detail though
That pic was from just after the manifold swap. It's much cleaner now and I put the engine cover back on.

Quote:
Old 15-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Great thread mate. Good to see how far youve come and its all going well.

- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
335JET
@jas_23_

great post mate, thats the sort of ride height im looking for (the first pic with the FTR'S)
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #13
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

very nice clean car. i love reading the progress threads, give a bit of inspiration. good luck 4 later on.

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I've always loved this car, looks hot as without the spoiler!!

Good stuff Ash.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #15
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

u know i love it mate
Old 16-09-2006, 02:29 AM   #16
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Lookin good Ash, I can't believe it's been 2 years already!

I don't think it's a boring thread at all, certainly more interesting than guessing how much coolant Niko's car has ;)

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 02:47 AM   #17
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8

I don't think it's a boring thread at all, certainly more interesting than guessing how much coolant Niko's car has ;)
LMFAO!!! I agree

Ash, I love this car and you usually do really nice and subtle aesthetic mods to any car you own. I can almost say I prefer the FTRs (mainly because of the colour), how about some deep dish billet wheels? :P Your ride height now is perfect, I can't wait for mine to sit that low at the rear.

A Unichip is a good choice for your next mod. Better throttle response, hopefully a nice power increase and better fuel consumption. Keep at it, and don't trade it in for a BA whatever you do (unless it's forced or an 8)!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #18
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8

im not changing my manifold anytime soon :P
Old 16-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #19
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I can almost say I prefer the FTRs (mainly because of the colour), how about some deep dish billet wheels? :P Your ride height now is perfect, I can't wait for mine to sit that low at the rear.
Yeah I always thought the FTRs looked pretty good as well. It would be interesting to see what it would look like these days with the lower springs and no spoiler.

I think the only rims I would upgrade to would be FR18s with either grey or black centre. The way my current financial situation is that won't be happening any time soon.

Here's another pic.

Quote:
Old 16-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #20
niko
likes falcon's

the ftr's have nothing on the el gt's and if the colour matches so well...you can always spray the gt's that colour, have seen them going around
Old 16-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #21
LUXO_8
windsor user

IMO the silver EL GT's look tacky...something to do with the fact that they werent that colour factory...

progress threads are cool... car looks awesome ash

cant believe youve had it 2 years already... damn thats gone fast:P
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post