Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #1261
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

I really like the idea of having 4-Stroke blowers and trimmers to save carrying two different fuels, not to mention cleaner running and lower noise. The Honda powered Atom edger I have is a really nice engine to use. But............

As a person who uses these things for extended periods, I need maximum performance and light weight. This gets the job done quicker (time is money and all) and limits fatigue.

Weight -

Honda HHB 25 - 5.2 kg
Stihl BG 86C - 4.5 kg
Husqvarna 525BX - 4.3 kg

I know we are only talking grams here, but it adds up as the day go's on.

Max. air speed -

Honda HHB 25 - 70 m/s or 252 kph
Stihl BG 86C - 89 m/s or 320 kph
Husqvarna 525BX - 86 m/s or 309 kph

Price -

Honda HHB 25 - $499 rrp
Stihl BG 86C - $399 rrp
Husqvarna 525BX - $585 rrp

All things considered, I would argue the Stihl is the best value for money.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #1262
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Picked the blower from service, was the crankshaft bolt as suspected. Told them about the poor revving on the new one, they said to bring it back, they will adjust it. I notice the adj screws are no longer PH and now some small hex head I couldn’t get to.
That's good news. I know it sucks to spend money on a new unit, but it's always good to have a spare on hand.

Do you have a vac kit for the BG 86?

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...BG-56-86).aspx

Sometimes I find it more efficient using the vac to clean up leaves than trying to fight the wind in a particular direction. Also useful for cleaning up hedge clippings from garden beds or paths.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #1263
ford12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
That's good news. I know it sucks to spend money on a new unit, but it's always good to have a spare on hand.

Do you have a vac kit for the BG 86?

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...BG-56-86).aspx

Sometimes I find it more efficient using the vac to clean up leaves than trying to fight the wind in a particular direction. Also useful for cleaning up hedge clippings from garden beds or paths.
That's one thing I wish I could get for the Honda, a vac kit for it.
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #1264
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t do vacs, they are a PIA. Bought one a few months ago, after a week I put it in the shed, too slow. I blow hard surfaces into a corner then pick up with a shovel into a bucket. Clippings on garden beds, I soft blow back onto adjacent hard surface or lawn then pick up with the mower. Did a blokes nandinas one day, he was gonna spend hours picking the leaves out of his mulch, I back blew it onto his lawn in 10 mins ��

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-11-2021, 10:02 PM   #1265
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesnt rain, it pours! My little brother has just started his own gardening business, so I gave him a 6 hr topiary job to do with my equipment, the HSA56 stopped working, dead.
Took it back to the shop, looks like an internal electrical issue, covered under warranty, but I need to get the job finished today, so I buy another one. Thats 2 pieces of stihl ive bought in the last week that duplicates another I already own.
So Im giving him hints and tips how to use the machinery correctly and walk away, because theres nothing like learning on the job. I hear him running the blower for like an hour when I can clean the carpark in 10 mins, the little bugger had frigging clippings all over the place, trying to pick them up by hand, obviously not skilled with that piece of equipment.
Watch this I go, start up the blower and like luke skywalker with his lightsabre magically turn the whole carpark into 2 managable piles of clippings ready to be picked up in 2 mins. It was like watching a ballet, the little bugger was in the presence of greatness.
Dejected, i told him that ive been doing this longer than hes been alive, and practice will make him perfect too.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #1266
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got my old BG86 back from service , it works but now has a high rev stutter.
Also got my new BG86 back from “adjustment” for the lack of rev issue, they say it’s adjusted as high as it will go, but still won’t rev like the old one. I might have to put up with it.
And my new HSA56 hedger just like the old one came with virtually no gearbox grease in it, so sounded crunchy while in use. All fixed now with more grease added.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #1267
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Got my old BG86 back from service , it works but now has a high rev stutter.
Also got my new BG86 back from “adjustment” for the lack of rev issue, they say it’s adjusted as high as it will go, but still won’t rev like the old one. I might have to put up with it.
And my new HSA56 hedger just like the old one came with virtually no gearbox grease in it, so sounded crunchy while in use. All fixed now with more grease added.
That's frustrating on all accounts.

Carb adjustments are pretty easy on the BG86 if you feel confident to do it yourself.

Have a look at this video, it explains what the L and H adjustments do to the engine performance. It sounds like both machines need an adjustment of the H side, turn counter-clock wise to increase performance, turn clock wise to slow it down.

(Please excuse the dirtiness of my machine! )

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #1268
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

After all the rain we have had in the past few days, I though it necessary to use a lighter mower today to prevent tracking.

The old girl is pretty weak these days, the 148cc engine likes a drop of SAE 30 oil, so I didn't put it through anything too heavy. Was quite refreshing to use something so light, requiring none of the manhandling my big Bushranger takes to operate.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #1269
John 13

Quote:
After all the rain we have had in the past few days, I though it necessary to use a lighter mower today to prevent tracking.

The old girl is pretty weak these days, the 148cc engine likes a drop of SAE 30 oil, so I didn't put it through anything too heavy. Was quite refreshing to use something so light, requiring none of the manhandling my big Bushranger takes to operate.
Seeing the red Victa chassis, thought it might be worth telling about a recent conversion project. A relatives 9 year old Sanli Lazer Cut (K Mart $199.00 special) engine still running perfectly but chassis, after numerous patch ups, totally un-repairable. Only good donor mower I could find was a Victa Power Torque (similar red chassis) and a fairly new catcher from a later model Victa. Incidentally it did not have the original two stroke engine so now chassis is on it's third motor at least. As well as the Sanli engine I transferred over the wheels and the handles. All in much better condition than the old Victa ones.
The front wheel assembly was a direct fit, however rear wheel assembly had to be widened and new saddles made up to house the nylon pivot bearings. Also had to fabricate an adaptor to raise the Sanli engine about 40 mm so the blades were under the skirt.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #1270
John 13

[QUOTE=LG17;6206978]I don't have a Victa.
My old man had a couple of them.
Ge had the very first toe cutter but didn't lose any toes.
He did slice through some fingers one day when he dropped his hand too close after doing something.
I remember riding on the tram with him, fingers wrapped in a hanky, going to Princess Alexandra Hospital for stitches.

Brings back memories; I was about 14, spending school holidays on relatives property (Wandoan QLD). mainly for tractor driving. However was mowing the side yard with similar old Victa, pulled it back over my foot. Fortunately wearing sand shoes, all I got was badly bruised toes.
Was probably at that time, wondered why mower suddenly started to vibrate badly and was hard to push. I stopped the engine and discovered that a blade had broken off and went into one of the back wheels preventing it from turning.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #1271
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My neighbor had one of these 70's Victa Utilities for decades.

Nothing could stop that thing, it would rev to the moon and back, in fact the kill switch didn't work for some reason so he had to squeeze the rubber induction tube and literally starve it of air to turn it off. Those full-crank 2-strokes were so tough.

If you look at the deck design, there was nothing to stop or slow down debris, to the point he actually broke a few windows over the years.

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #1272
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Oh good, I guess I'm a rubbish removalist too now!

I should have left it there, adding to the note "how far?".
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #1273
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

This throw would complement it nicely:

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/att...pricot/3643306
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #1274
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

$50 waste removal fee. That’ll make them think twice about asking you again.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 28-11-2021, 08:13 PM   #1275
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So my NEW HSA56 hedger died today while on a job and I haven’t yet received the first one back from being repaired under warranty.
Took it back, asked them to quote me on the AP powered HSA86 and HLA86 with battery and charger. I wanted the value of the 2 units credited against the quote, but stihl aren’t replacement warranty, so they said they will call their rep tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
If they decline, I will sell all my existing stihl battery range and buy husqvarna. Not happy jan.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 28-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #1276
hayseed

Quote:

Hope you Put It in Their Wheely Bin...!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2021, 10:54 PM   #1277
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Hope you Put It in Their Wheely Bin...!!
No, I didn't put it in their EMPTY wheely bin, I should have though.
Mustang GT

Old 29-11-2021, 04:35 PM   #1278
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had a look at the husqvarna battery hedgers, VERY, VERY impressed with the quality, designed for professional use, and are actually made of metal!
Quoted 520iHT4 telescopic and 520iHD60 with a 9AH battery for a little over 2 grand.
I’m yet to hear back about my broken stihl lines and whether they will credit. I’m leaning toward buying the husqvarna and putting the stihl on gumtree when they are returned to me.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 29-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #1279
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I bought the 520iHE3 a couple of months back. I am still getting the hang of them, but they are a fantastic machine.

I only have the one battery at the moment but have had no trouble with it running out. I don't hedge all day but have done jobs that have taken over an hour. Only one of the four charge lights went out.

They are new and sharp but I believe they cut fine stuff like Diosma or pittosporum better than any hedger I have used.

I thought the 32mm tooth opening was a little ambitious but it will hack through branches I should not be cutting with a hedger if I force it.

I am still getting the hang of the pole hedger, it is easy to go in too hard and take off too much if you are not careful. But that is the operator not the machine.

I will replace my old Stihl HS 46 with the husqvarna 520iHD60 soon and maybe get another battery. Then there will be no stopping me

I think you would be happy with the husqvarna danzvtil!
Old 29-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #1280
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Sydney has had heaps of rain last 2/3wks that when looking outside I was freaking how damn long the grass was getting knowing how much more time it takes to cut down to normal height.
Rest assured yesterday was the day and couldn’t wait……
Nothing like it apart from twice the amount of times emptying the catcher.
Below was the week before as well.

And then the satisfaction - even Lucky approves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2021, 02:38 PM   #1281
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Finished my back nine lawn just before the drizzle set in. A move that Mitchay would be proud of, ran out of 98 for the mower so ended up using half a tank of 50:1. If anything it ran better!

Still need blades, these are more “stumps”. I tried picking up a tissue en passant beside the front footpath and just created paper snow across the joint.
5 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #1282
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

* googles en passant
Your posts never disappoint CB

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #1283
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
* googles en passant
Your posts never disappoint CB
I guess you don't play Chess eh?
Old 01-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #1284
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Didnt even notice this thread.

My lawn (aside from dead bit down the back, plans for that) pic was taken a few weeks back but it still looks the same.
The battle i have is that big tree drops plums for a few weeks so it dies off a little as im always out there raking them up. They are bloody tasty though

Its always responded well with little love.
Each yeah ill try a new avenue.
This year.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/neutrog-...liser_p2990065
Put it on my veggie garden aswell.
Definitely its worked wonders thats for sure.
Ill get a pic in the coming days as it'll get a mow again. I let it get close to 6 inches high and mowed it on the mowers highest setting. Speaking of which its due for new blades so ill fit them first.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #1285
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I followed up my broken stihl hedgers, they hadn’t even ordered replacement parts yet despite me using these units to earn a living. Really not happy with stihl quality anymore.
I am now in possession and of $2k worth of husqvarna equipment, review will follow.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 06-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #1286
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ll be interested how Stihl respond, once you go over the repairer’s head. You’ve been treated poorly.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #1287
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Sydney has had heaps of rain last 2/3wks that when looking outside I was freaking how damn long the grass was getting knowing how much more time it takes to cut down to normal height.
Rest assured yesterday was the day and couldn’t wait……
Nothing like it apart from twice the amount of times emptying the catcher.
Below was the week before as well.

And then the satisfaction - even Lucky approves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice cat, show us ya cat in "show us ya pets"........
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #1288
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ll be interested how Stihl respond, once you go over the repairer’s head. You’ve been treated poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil
So I followed up my broken stihl hedgers, they hadn’t even ordered replacement parts yet despite me using these units to earn a living. Really not happy with stihl quality anymore.
I am now in possession and of $2k worth of husqvarna equipment, review will follow.
I'm really disappointed for you. When you buy into a professional level brand, you expect better. Also not good enough from the dealer, professional/commercial users should be treated like gold. And I don't mean that in a self-absorbed way, rather that commercial users are generally repeat customers who buy the top end gear with greater margins, therefore greater profits. That dealer has screwed up big time, I doubt you will be returning when all this is dealt with, a missed opportunity on their end and great frustration on yours.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #1289
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm really disappointed for you. When you buy into a professional level brand, you expect better. Also not good enough from the dealer, professional/commercial users should be treated like gold. And I don't mean that in a self-absorbed way, rather that commercial users are generally repeat customers who buy the top end gear with greater margins, therefore greater profits. That dealer has screwed up big time, I doubt you will be returning when all this is dealt with, a missed opportunity on their end and great frustration on yours.
I buy a lot of other stuff from this business, it just happens they sell and service stihl.
What sealed the deal was on sunday i accidentally pulled my new BG86 out of the van instead of the old one, and for an hour it coughed and spluttered despite being "adjusted" by the selling dealer. It actually was embarrassing to use, i sounded like a noob not knowing what i am doing with such a crap sounding blower.
I told the guy he wasnt getting my order for the next range up of stihl, which was quite satisfying.
So, now im balls deep in Husqvarna batteries i might explore the rest of their range including blowers,pole chainsaws etc.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #1290
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just had a look at the husqvarna battery hedgers, VERY, VERY impressed with the quality, designed for professional use, and are actually made of metal!
Quoted 520iHT4 telescopic and 520iHD60 with a 9AH battery for a little over 2 grand.
I’m yet to hear back about my broken stihl lines and whether they will credit. I’m leaning toward buying the husqvarna and putting the stihl on gumtree when they are returned to me.
Used the hand held one today, what an amazing machine! The thing absolutely rips, it cuts twice as fast and is super sharp. I’m getting used to going from a 450 blade to 600 and the extra weight, but find I can reach the bottom of hedges without bending down.
With the 9AH battery, I got upto 2 hrs use with only 1 bar used up.
Extra cool fun fact- the battery charger has an inbuilt fan that draws through the battery while charging to keep it cool, it will even cool it down before charging it if it’s too hot.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz