Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
freepers
Starter Motor

Default Towbar - Mondeo LX Wagon

I'm getting a new company car (corporate have made a decision to change from falcon wagon to mondeo wagon), which is alright...but....

Was having a look on the technical specs on the ford website for the Mondeo wagon. Doesn't mention anything about a towbar option for the wagon.

Does anyone know of a towbar that's avaiable for the wagon, or if there is any at all?

freepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

A few of us here have tow bars fitted on sedans and hatches, so it must be doable. Probably Ford not putting the info up rather than it not being available. Ring up Hyman and see what they say.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
freepers
Starter Motor

This question was bound to come up....

I've been treated to a 6cyl vehicle for the past 5 years and am suspecting quite a larger performance difference between the gicanticus 4.0l 190kW falcon.

Spec wise, size and weight are similar mondeo only 160kg lighter with a large torque drop as well.

Anyone got the 2.3l petty version and tow much with it? Will I feel like I need to stick the feet through the foot well and fred flinstone it?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From Hayman Reese Catologue
Search Results for TOWBARS & HITCH RECEIVERS
2 results returned by the search,current 1-2.
Sub Category / Vehicle Year Product No. Description RRP Rating / Ball Weight (kgs)
FORD 8/1995-10/07 +1459 Mondeo Wagon (C) $342.00 1000/80
FORD 10/2007-on 2473 Mondeo MA Sedan & Hatch (NOT XR5 MODEL) (C) $392.00 1600/160 tow capacity
Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
From Hayman Reese Catologue
Search Results for TOWBARS & HITCH RECEIVERS
2 results returned by the search,current 1-2.
Sub Category / Vehicle Year Product No. Description RRP Rating / Ball Weight (kgs)
FORD 8/1995-10/07 +1459 Mondeo Wagon (C) $342.00 1000/80
FORD 10/2007-on 2473 Mondeo MA Sedan & Hatch (NOT XR5 MODEL) (C) $392.00 1600/160 tow capacity
The wagon is cheaper because of a lower towing capacity?
When I got mine fitted the dealer told me I had to have a special wiring loom, wonder if the price above includes this?
That said, I've only used the tow bar once.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
freepers
Starter Motor

I'm visiting the ford website way to much, but specs indicate 1600kg max towing capacity...perhaps HR are proposing you could change the shocks/springs etc...?

I'm looking at towing two track bikes in the back of a 8x5 box trailer, and the odd load of rubbish to the tip. So it's unlikely I'm going to every need brakes for my trailer or get close to that max weight.
Old 15-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepers
This question was bound to come up....

I've been treated to a 6cyl vehicle for the past 5 years and am suspecting quite a larger performance difference between the gicanticus 4.0l 190kW falcon.

Spec wise, size and weight are similar mondeo only 160kg lighter with a large torque drop as well.

Anyone got the 2.3l petty version and tow much with it? Will I feel like I need to stick the feet through the foot well and fred flinstone it?
The 2.3 petrol goes surprisingly well, so you'd be OK for everyday towing. But I'd say the diesel would be the way to go for more serious stuff like caravans and boats..
Old 15-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
scribbly

I towed a trailer tent to Wilson's Prom with the high capacity towbar and balance kit and the Mondy performed flawlessly. This car continues to amaze me!

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

We fitted a h/reece one to a wagon a few weeks ago, Ford still dont have a solution.

and they want to replace the falcon wagon with this car?
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
freepers
Starter Motor

It's been a while since I've checked back here. Get the new modeo wagon monday week.

Partsguy, which model hayman reece tobar did you fit to the wagon?

Seems crazy that ford are trying to replace the falcon wagon with this for 2 reasons:

1. No diesel for the modeo wagon yet in oz. I'm still sceptical about the towing ability of the petrol wagon as the power and more importantly torque figures are flailing way behind the falcon.

2. Delivery time (which I'm sure is why ford haven't given an official release date for the diesel model). 4 months delivery time for a base model wagon!!!! Only option added is the reversing sensors. Seems us tech's can't reverse
Old 19-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to tow my jetski around with our 2.3 Mondeo and that was ok. Total weight would have been around the 600kg mark.

Do not expect Mondeo performance to be anything like the Falcon. I have an XR6T ute, but I would much rather drive the Mondeo just because it is a much nicer car to drive.

You will get used to it.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post