Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
fordmondeoman

Default Knock noise when coming off the brakes

Gday,

every 3rd or 4th time i come off the brakes, there is a knock noise.
cant fault anything, but have heard that this is possibly a common or at least
knowen issues for the mk4 mondeos.
But i cant seem to get any info on what it is and how to fix it.
Anyone out there know what it is?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who told you its a known problem?. Seems to me its sounds like a brake fluid problem so take it back for Ford to check it out!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Jimmyd
Banned

Most common cause of brake knock is usually caliper slide pins - not sure on the mk4, been out of Ford Serivce for quite a while now but may be a plce to start.

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have had this issue with ours since new and ford tell us it's normal. It's more of a click rather then a nock and it's coming from under the dash. It happens when you release the brake paddle.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
fordmondeoman

thanks for help guys i have pulled all the calipers apart sliders are fine and there all fine greased pads but i know its not pad knock.
Fluid is all ok.
Its defently a metallic type knock. iv checked over everything i can think of. It may be something to do with the dsc(traction contron) modual, so il D/C it tommorrow and drive it see if that helps.
Although i hate anyone working on my car i have got it booked in at ford on monday, as i might as well use warranty that i got with the car. And they will be fixing it as it is a problem and i wont take the car back untill they do.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
fordmondeoman

OK worked it out its the abs modual the valve that holds pressure once you have breaked. Get ford to replace it next week
Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fordmondeoman, are you able to give me details of what was changed (part number or something) and I will ask my dealer to look into it again at next service.

Thanks.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
fordmondeoman

They havent changed it yet but when they do il check the RO and get a part No for you.
What u describe as your fault sound like the solenoid for the gear lever so that you must have the brake pressed before it will let you engage a gear. For AUTOS, and if so this is normal.
if the noise happens everytime you put the brake on and off then its the solenoid.
in my case its a valve in the abs modual that holds pressure and releases it when i take my foot off the pedel, which i shouldnt hear hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I've noticed a bit of a thump when the car changes gears at low speed. I'll mention this to them at the 45K service.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post