Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2022, 06:38 PM   #2341
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Coal producers to get up to $500 million compensation for price caps

The Albanese government will spend up to half a billion dollars compensating NSW and Queensland coal producers for imposing price caps, as well as $1.5 billion for bill relief to households and businesses.

Energy Minister Chris Bowen on Saturday promised the caps on the price of black coal and gas were a “temporary and targeted measure”, to be replaced next year by a code of conduct for the gas market and new powers for the competition watchdog to “intervene” to ensure fair prices.

The Commonwealth and states will continue negotiations over the coming days about the details of a rebate on power bills for households and businesses, and how much producers will be compensated for the price caps.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...10-p5c59e.html

How good is this - they dig up our resources, sell them back to us at global market rates, pay no taxes and then we compensate them $500M when we want to buy our own resources dug up from our own ground at reasonable prices. I don't think Saudi Arabia is paying $2.33/L for diesel.

I feel like the $2B they just slapped down on the table would have gone a long way to a government owned renewable energy infrastructure project.

There's an even easier way to solve this problem without giving away $500M of taxpayers to private companies who have been rorting our country for decades - nationalise hydrocarbons.

Just take it off them
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2022, 07:22 PM   #2342
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes the car industry subsidies seem like a bargain.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:27 PM   #2343
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Makes the car industry subsidies seem like a bargain.
The mistake the car manufacturers made is they didn't make enough political donations to both sides of the equation, especially with how cheap they are to buy, they sell us down the river for a plastic furniture set and a slab of warm VB
Old 11-12-2022, 07:30 PM   #2344
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't it something like 130K and you have have big time influence?
Old 11-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #2345
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Isn't it something like 130K and you have have big time influence?
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-labor-parties

Also see which politicians end up on the boards of the companies they take donations from and tweak legislation for - after they get kicked out.

Like is it a coincidence Optus donates $30K to the Libs and Gladbags ends up in a position with them?

What about Mike Baird and NAB?

The federal resources minister back in 2006/2007 was trying to **** talk the WA government about their 15% domestic reservation policy for natural gas, then post politics the guy ends up on the council of some resources/gas company.

You could at least try hide it better

Speaking of domestic gas reservations, its just legislation, why isn't the federal government (of both persuasions) pursuing a national gas revervation policy for our domestic market?

Maybe its because that industry are their biggest donors?

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...itical-parties

As I said - nationalise hydrocarbons, just take it from them, in return they leave with their lives.

We've got so much wealth in the forms of energy resources that we're the ones who should be projecting power, not everyone else over us - absolute clown show.

Imagine if we had oil as well, we'd probably sell it to China for 5 cents and buy it back in the form of unleaded for $2.50/L as well because absolute clown show.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 11-12-2022 at 08:07 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2022, 08:29 PM   #2346
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

I feel like the $2B they just slapped down on the table would have gone a long way to a government owned renewable energy infrastructure project.
Comrade Franco. That would be a 5-10 year project where the benefits won't be seen till well after that. They made a promise to bring prices down, so had to do something that would give an "immediate" effect. Make a promise, keep a promise......I guess we shouldn't complain when they actually do it? Funny thing is, it won't actually bring bills down, it'll just stop it from going as high as they would have otherwise gone.

I've always struggled with the concept that the land, belonging to the people, can be exploited by the 1%ers, who make billions from it, and only have to return a small fraction back to the people.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2022, 08:32 PM   #2347
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Comrade Franco. That would be a 5-10 year project where the benefits won't be seen till well after that. They made a promise to bring prices down, so had to do something that would give an "immediate" effect. Make a promise, keep a promise......I guess we shouldn't complain when they actually do it?

I've always struggled with the concept that the land, belonging to the people, can be exploited by the 1%ers, who make billions from it, and only have to return a small fraction back to the people.
Yep, 5-10 years, lets say 2.5 election cycles, so you better start tomorrow.

Its not about 'immediate' effect, its about setting us up for the future, like the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or the telephone network and energy infrastructure we built 100+ years ago.

Russo-Ukrainian War was only supposed to go for 3 days, yet here we are 10 months later, maybe it'll go for 20 years like Afghanistan? The reason Russia pulled the trigger this year was their hold over Europe with its energy supplies was starting to weaken - it was now while they still had Europe's balls in their hand or never.

Energy is power, in all sense of the words, the ones with the real ability to project power globally are OPEC/OPEC+ - the US even went begging to Saudi Arabia.

If it was me calling the shots I'd go for the gas reservation and a mineral reservation policy and make it retrospective for the short term fix, if it means we upset China for a bit, they hate us anyway

Long term - energy infrastructure build and lets look at being able to refine our own fuel or something too.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 11-12-2022 at 08:44 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2022, 08:49 PM   #2348
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its not about 'immediate' effect, ........
If you want to stay elected it is

Quote:
That's part of the problem I reckon. The two majors can't agree on a way forward, so if there is a change of gov next round, or the round after that, whats to say projects started now won't get canned. We need a strategy, then have it legislated.

I'm with you on long term plans. Reason why I'm also a big fan of the "big build", looking 10-20 years ahead.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2022, 10:58 PM   #2349
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Its not about 'immediate' effect, its about setting us up for the future, like the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or the telephone network and energy infrastructure we built 100+ years ago.

Russo-Ukrainian War was only supposed to go for 3 days, yet here we are 10 months later, maybe it'll go for 20 years like Afghanistan? The reason Russia pulled the trigger this year was their hold over Europe with its energy supplies was starting to weaken - it was now while they still had Europe's balls in their hand or never.

Energy is power, in all sense of the words, the ones with the real ability to project power globally are OPEC/OPEC+ - the US even went begging to Saudi Arabia.

If it was me calling the shots I'd go for the gas reservation and a mineral reservation policy and make it retrospective for the short term fix, if it means we upset China for a bit, they hate us anyway

Long term - energy infrastructure build and lets look at being able to refine our own fuel or something too.
Amen to that......exact same problem over the ditch infact the whole western world

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2022, 12:53 AM   #2350
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Update to this - our constitution apparently says the states own the minerals/resources within their borders, so Federal Government has zero ability to implement something like this, as well as its not within gas producing states interests to create legislation that would benefit states which are heavy natural gas users like VIC, if you were one of those states you wouldn't particularly care if your natural gas is going to China or to VIC because its leaving your border anyway so you might as well as get paid a good dollar for it.

Though mind you I'm sure VIC would happily pay more for it than China

But, we've got a 430-billion tonne reserve of brown coal within VIC so it would make sense for us to create reservation policies for our local market here given thats what we use to generate our power.

I think it wasn't until COVID happened that people realised how much power our states have compared to what the federal government has over what happens within our borders as it was never really exercised to this extent, at least in my lifetime anyway.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #2351
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What an earth are you lot on about? What petrol ‘crisis’? Last time I looked my mower doesn’t have a fuel tank!
Old 12-12-2022, 11:09 AM   #2352
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Putin's saying the $60 barrel cap wont effect Russia much as they're already selling to China ,India and Iran for around that price already.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2022, 10:26 PM   #2353
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Heavy rail line between north west shelf and QLD coal, become steel king of the world. And sufficient assets to defend it.
Old 17-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #2354
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like we are getting an early Christmas present. Driving through Cranbourne area, 91 is $1.99 .

Rides (past and present)

Old 17-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #2355
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And yet oil is below $80 a barrel.

You almost think it was a scam.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #2356
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Looks like we are getting an early Christmas present. Driving through Cranbourne area, 91 is $1.99 .
Saw Shell in Noble Park North at $1.68 this afternoon for 91 on Cnr of Police and Jacksons Rd

All our South Easties might be the go if you're floating by on the Monash Freeway, its a very quick jump off the freeway.

Sunbury Ampol on Thursday - $2.05/L for 98

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-12-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 17-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #2357
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Saw Shell in Noble Park North at $1.68 this afternoon for 91 on Cnr of Police and Jacksons Rd

All our South Easties might be the go if you're floating by on the Monash Freeway, its a very quick jump off the freeway.

Most places are still $1.6x. Filled up this morning for 1.87 Mobil 98 eastern subs.

But when you see an area jump 30c, you know it's gonna spread.

Rides (past and present)

Old 17-12-2022, 11:27 PM   #2358
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Apco $1.54.9 for unleaded & $2.03 diesel in Hoppers crossing 3029
Also noticed a Metro station in Laverton $1.89 for diesel which would be the cheapest I've seen for a while.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2022, 01:51 AM   #2359
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Most places are still $1.6x. Filled up this morning for 1.87 Mobil 98 eastern subs.

But when you see an area jump 30c, you know it's gonna spread.
If this **** keeps up we'll be back to having punchups over toilet paper soon
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2022, 08:15 AM   #2360
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Relax guys it's just oil company greed competing for all the pre Holliday fill ups of the car , boat , jet ski etc .....happens every year , go hard while it lasts ....same for all the long weekends,

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 01:41 AM   #2361
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

$2/L for 91 at the moment locally, diesel still around the $2.30/L mark.

Also you're all kicking in $450M to Rio Tino as compensation for the coal price cap:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...p-negotiations

They only made $29B profit this year so they're a little short of coin so we better kick some up to them.

WA taxpayers also kicking in to one of their foreign owned mines too:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-...isis/101795242

WA taxpayers funding Indian owned mine to keep it going to feed a power station so you can buy power from it I guess.

Also WA is looking at importing coal from NSW to keep its coal plants going?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-...coal/101601850

How does a country so resource rich like Australia end up in this situation

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 31-12-2022 at 01:52 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #2362
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
$2/L for 91 at the moment locally, diesel still around the $2.30/L mark.

Also you're all kicking in $450M to Rio Tino as compensation for the coal price cap:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...p-negotiations

They only made $29B profit this year so they're a little short of coin so we better kick some up to them.

WA taxpayers also kicking in to one of their foreign owned mines too:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-...isis/101795242

WA taxpayers funding Indian owned mine to keep it going to feed a power station so you can buy power from it I guess.

Also WA is looking at importing coal from NSW to keep its coal plants going?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-...coal/101601850

How does a country so resource rich like Australia end up in this situation
Damo, switch off and enjoy the new year eve celebrations, matter of fact happy new year to all and hear from you guys' & gal's next year.

4 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 11:50 AM   #2363
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Down in Melbourne at the moment.

For 91, Coles express in Lilydale is 242.9, 8km down the road at Liberty in Wandin is 165.5.

That's a massive difference, filled up in Wandin on the way to a mates house.

That was a $46 saving for my 61 litres.

I did my sums for being a tight ass this year for fuel savings, this total includes the cost of driving to the fuel station (max i'll drive is 10km but most the time it's the MRS doing it as part of her day) vs going to the closest one.

I've saved $1,760.20 by shopping around for fuel and not going to the closest petrol station. For me, that is over two registrations of savings for my cars.
Old 31-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #2364
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Damo, switch off and enjoy the new year eve celebrations, matter of fact happy new year to all and hear from you guys' & gal's next year.

There's no switch off for me, I just get more and more ****ed off every day until I'm dead

Let's raise a glass for lower energy costs for 2023...................
Old 31-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #2365
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep being analytical Damo/Franco
I really enjoy your posts
Mind you my mate told me I m over analytical and my head will explode.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #2366
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Down in Melbourne at the moment.

For 91, Coles express in Lilydale is 242.9, 8km down the road at Liberty in Wandin is 165.5.

That's a massive difference, filled up in Wandin on the way to a mates house.

That was a $46 saving for my 61 litres.

I did my sums for being a tight ass this year for fuel savings, this total includes the cost of driving to the fuel station (max i'll drive is 10km but most the time it's the MRS doing it as part of her day) vs going to the closest one.

I've saved $1,760.20 by shopping around for fuel and not going to the closest petrol station. For me, that is over two registrations of savings for my cars.
That’s insane. No surprise it’s a shell servo. Why people still fill up there when they are never price competitive is beyond me. Except for work fuel cards.

Petrol still around the 1.73 mark down here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 02:25 PM   #2367
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
That’s insane. No surprise it’s a shell servo. Why people still fill up there when they are never price competitive is beyond me. Except for work fuel cards.

Petrol still around the 1.73 mark down here.
Not insane but price gouging and as usual our governments and ACCC won't do nothing about it.

Cheers
Old 31-12-2022, 02:52 PM   #2368
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Just looked on petrol spy and that Coles has it down to 199.9 now. 95 is 233.9
Old 01-01-2023, 02:36 PM   #2369
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did a run up to Mansfield in the 3v. On the way home through Yarra Glen found this gem....

Actually quiet pleased with the mileage on the 3v. 300kms, 30+ deg with some "spirited" dashes on the over taking..... bloody caravaners and boat trailers, there are everywhere!

Rides (past and present)

5 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2023, 02:42 PM   #2370
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Look at absolute clown show disparity between 91 and diesel, $.58/L - RIP inflation
4 users like this post: