Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-06-2023, 12:34 PM   #1
zilo
BANNED

Default Windows updates

Was sitting in a bar in Canberra last night.

Loud bunch next to us discussing the state of IT in the health system.

Apparently they were conducting surgery in the OR and mid way through the procedure, with the guy on the table, all the PC's in the theatre froze for 30 minutes performing...wait for it...Windows updates, with multiple reboots.

In desperation the aneasthesist managed to get the power off the PC that monitor O2 levels etc...but it still did 3 more reboots....the patient was unconscious on the table.

Must admit I get cheesed off when the PC just does its crap and becomes harder and harder to stop all the updates....but this must have been scarey stuff.

Worst i have had is a reboot in the middle of internet banking...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Windows updates

Sounds like bollocks. Equipment like that would be running embedded systems, they wouldnt be getting OTA updates. The PCs the monitoring equipment is connected to, to pass the data to the hospital intranet, that's another story. Shouldnt stop a surgery though.

I would expect any theatre-bound IT equipment has to pass some sort of validation for just these sorts of events.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #3
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Sounds like bollocks. Equipment like that would be running embedded systems, they wouldnt be getting OTA updates. The PCs the monitoring equipment is connected to, to pass the data to the hospital intranet, that's another story. Shouldnt stop a surgery though.

I would expect any theatre-bound IT equipment has to pass some sort of validation for just these sorts of events.
Hmm...there were quite a few in that group that seemed switched on and concerned.
The updates probably came from a local update server to all the network and someone stuffed up....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2023, 06:56 PM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

errr....remind me never to go to a Canberra hospital for an operation then. Sounds like the head of IT needs the sack.

Windows auto updates and/or auto reboot can be switched off.

As for your issue, windows should be giving you plenty of warning before it reboots. And if internet banking has a higher priority than potentially having your PC hacked, then switch off auto reboot....you just gotta remember to do it manually.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2023, 08:20 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I highly doubt they use Windows or anything other then their own software by the manufacturer for any critical equipment.

ACT Health is a basket case for sure though but tell me any other state/territory that isn't
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2023, 10:20 PM   #6
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
ACT Health is a basket case for sure though but tell me any other state/territory that isn't
Queensland Health.

We left basket case about 18 months ago. Have moved into "truly ****ed and completely useless territory"... And we're not stopping the descent!
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-07-2023, 07:29 PM   #7
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Enterprise version of Windows updates do not happen randomly; Even local updates are not supposed to happen during nominated “business hours”.

It is possible in some random’s laptops. It is Canberra, anything is possible.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2023, 08:20 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Surprised it happen at all since the hospitals PC's should be running off a mainframe server, these updates should have been controlled by the IT team at their choosing.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post