Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 19-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Wazm
Starter Motor

Default KM to empty close call

I was wondering how many km's I would get out of my first tank and so thought I could run it down as far as possible. I drive from Bathurst to Orange every day and left home with a bit under 1/4 of a tank. Just before Orange the fuel warning came on and I checked the km's to empty and it said 76. 56k to get home so I thought I should put some in before leaving for home just in case.

Last block before parking for the day and the km's was droping at an alarming rate of about 2km's per 50m so by the time I actually parked the car it was on 60 to empty. Got in the car to drive home and 1 block from work and it now reads 7km's to empty!!! I got to the servo and it was down to 3km's to empty. :

I put 73L in the tank so I guess it was telling the truth I know a trick I won't be trying again in a hurry!

Old 19-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
MarkG.
Scarlett Fan

Hi Wazm, So how many Kms did your first tank take you ?
If I recall correctly, mine was 880km for a fill up of 64ltrs country travelling.
Rgs MarkG
MarkG. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG.
If I recall correctly, mine was 880km for a fill up of 64ltrs country travelling.
Rgs MarkG
I think it was about 920kms. The "full"tank was supplied by the dealer so not sure exactly how full it was. I now have about 240kms on this tank and the km's to empty still says over 1000kms and the gauge hasn't moved off full yet so I recon I got it full
Old 19-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
BlackLS
yum

If the DTE system is the same as the Focus, then after DTE reads 0 you have around 70kms.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
If the DTE system is the same as the Focus, then after DTE reads 0 you have around 70kms.
hows that it all depends on your speed!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Mondeo does the exact same thing. It must be a euro thing. Had to remember where the closest servo was.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget the DTE - it's for entertainment only, and go by the gauge and low fuel light.

Good to know that you can get 73l in a tank though!
Old 20-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6

Good to know that you can get 73l in a tank though!
Makes you wonder just how close I was to running out though. Can a diesel run on fumes?
Old 20-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
scribbly

You would think so. 73 litres to fill up when it's a 70 ltr tank!

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Dusty1
Giddy up!

73 litres! That's great.

I don't trust the DTE, it's a rough guide only for me. Once the needle gets towards 1/4 I fill up, been caught once at a place called Jarklin: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...30899&t=h&z=12 and vowed that I'd never get stuck waiting around for the petrol dude to come and top me up.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
You would think so. 73 litres to fill up when it's a 70 ltr tank!
The tank may be 70l but the piping up to the capless outlet will hold at least 3 litres extra!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
scribbly

In a diesel you only fill up to the first click and not up the tube otherwise you end up with it overflowing onto the rear wheel. Diesel is terrible stuff to have leeching down the side of your car.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
thefox3305
F250Fox

Default There was a recall to fix DTE

There was a batch of mondeos with incorrect calibration for Distance to Empty. Ours (may 08 build i think) was one affected. 1/2 hr fix. Worth checking with your dealer on next service.

Trevor
thefox3305 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG.
Rgs MarkG
OK second tank was better. I had 1014km on the tank when I decided to refill and it took 60L to the second click. Wasn't going to go further unless it spilled as was the case on the 3rd click last time round. Trip computer says 6.8L/100 so I am happy with that

The fuel was $1.18 / L and then I got the 4c discount. My old Mazda 6 could do 7.5L /100 but that was taking it easy and with the AC turned off. The 6 also ran on a min 95ron which is still about $1.25 before discount so the Mondeo is definitely cheaper on fuel and has way more hill climbing capability. On the way to Orange each day there is a major hill (aptly called The Rocks), and the Mazda couldn't keep the speed at 100 without going back to 3rd on a couple of occasions (unless you hit the hill doing 110). The Mondeo doesn't get out of 6th gear all the way and doesn't drop below about 102. I normally set the cruise at about 103, (who wants to rush to work!).
Old 29-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox3305
There was a batch of mondeos with incorrect calibration for Distance to Empty. Ours (may 08 build i think) was one affected. 1/2 hr fix. Worth checking with your dealer on next service.

Trevor
Did it impact all models of the Mondeo's?
Mine is a May 08 XR5 build.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont trust the servo pump that much. I once worked at Shell on w/ends only and got to see some of the paperwork on variations and all the pumps had varying dispencing some gave up to 5% more while others -5% all up the the variences added up 100% eg 40000 ltr comes in 40000ltr gets pumped out.In the end the servo did not come into any extra litres.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post