Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
scribbly

Default Distance to Empty

Has anyone tested the accuracy of the 'distance to empty' dashboard notification on the Mondeo?

I've got a notification right now of 160km to go and I'm not in the mood to pay country diesel prices. I'm going to do 55km to the office tomorrow and see how it goes.
I know when I had the Territory it would show I had 150KM to go then descend rapidly that was in no way related to the distance actually traveled. Always a bit of a panic to see if I could get to the petrol station.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
jared79
Sock Puppets

I found that for the first couple of weeks, it was a little funny. But seems to one the money these days. However I usually fill up once my light comes on, then goes off, then comes on again (2nd time usually)

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I've never had it come on in mine. Is it a picture of a petrol pump? Is there an exciting tone as well?

In my Futura, I learnt the hard way, if it hits a 1/4, fill up, regardless of the DTE reading. I still do this now. Nothing like being between Kerang and Serpintine and having no fuel. That was a fun day.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
scribbly

Well, would you believe it... The DTE increased over the 55km traveled.
Therefore, I'm much more confident in the accuracy of the fuel gauge in this car. Once again had to use truck nozzle to fill up and I stopped at 64 litres though I suspect I may have filled it a little too much. The search continues for a regular fuel stop that uses the smaller nozzle and has good discounts to boot.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 24-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
brucel
brucel

On a recent trip the fuel warning came on as I drove into to re-fuel. There was ~8L left with the distance to empty showing 135km (freeway conditions). The distance to empty changes with traffic conditions - wish they had included either litres of fuel used since last refill or litres left (my old TJ magna had this and it was accurate too).
brucel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok then if you do run out of diesel is there any problems once you refill in starting up!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
ajay1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Ok then if you do run out of diesel is there any problems once you refill in starting up!

apstar
Don't know about the Mondeo, but if it's anything like our diesel forklift, it's something you don't want to try. That was a real nightmare to prime. :
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucel
On a recent trip the fuel warning came on as I drove into to re-fuel. There was ~8L left with the distance to empty showing 135km (freeway conditions). The distance to empty changes with traffic conditions - wish they had included either litres of fuel used since last refill or litres left (my old TJ magna had this and it was accurate too).
135km to go after fuel light - you beauty! Maybe across the Nullabor would be an issue but that's great news any way you look at it.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 24-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
bearass
FG XR8

I have had it reading 0kms but through the next roundabout and into the servo was back to reading 6kms-that the furtherest I have taken a car down to before refuelling. Servo attendant was very happy to see me at $1.64p/l.
Old 16-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
thefox3305
F250Fox

Default No problem to prime

Mine went form 97s km DTE to 70 to 30 to 14 to stopped all in about 15kms on my first trip this weekend. The light came on about 30Km DTE. Ran about 7kms on 0.

Local ford dealer bought out some fuel. Turned the key on and waited 10 seconds. Started first go and kept running no problems. Much easier than my f250.

After the next fill, i didn't trust the computer. When the fuel gauge was only just under 1/4, and DTE showing 300kms, i filled up ,and it only took 59 litres. 11 litres for 300ks? I think not.

Hopefully it settles down.

Apart from that, a fantastic car. Love the auto wipers.
thefox3305 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had my low fuel light come on yesterday then an [ i ] information light came on [between the temp & fuel gauges] filled up low fuel light went out but information light remained on even though there are no message alerts on my computer!! hmmm come to think about it when my low fuel light came on there were no chime which I did set when I got my car went to check now and it still on grrrrrrr

apstar
Old 16-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
TonyDragons1
Starter Motor

Hi folks, I thought I would share some info from the "other" side of the ditch - you know the far Eastern State of Australia! I am an Aussie currently on assignment in NZ where Mondeos roam in bountiful numbers. our company has just upgraded a fleet of 40 Mondys' to the new model - I picked up my spanking new Bright Colorado Red Zetec Hatch last Friday (the last car of the fleet to be replaced).
One of my colleagues who lives in Hamilton (a bit over an hr sth of Auckland) had 60km showing on the DTE whilst driving up the Motorway and the thing just stopped! Ran out of fuel! On its first tank of gas! It should be said the whole fleet are petrol models, majority are standard sedans, with the one in question being a Zetec. He phoned one of his team to get some fuel in a jerry can and come to the rescue, guess what?? Capless fuel filler didn't want to know about the jerry nozzle did it! Enter one tow truck and a VERY embarrassed new Zetec driver! Having said that the guy who rescued him had 12km showing on the DTE read out today as he pulled into a BP - running a bit too close to the wind for comfort!
The moral of the story is fill your car up with a reasonable buffer.
TonyDragons1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
scribbly

G'day Tonydragons1. When I was over in Auckland recently I was beginning to think there weren't any Mondys around but then I saw an Estate. It looks great.
Did you get to test drive the range before you got the Zetec?

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 18-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
TonyDragons1
Starter Motor

Plenty of Mondys' here folks (although that may just be due to heightened awareness now I have one!)....
I drove a standard sedan prior to getting the Zee, however mine is a Co. car so I didn't get a choice... (i know hard luck story hey!!) ...
Our fleet Mgr and another person got to drive the whole new Ford range in a day to sample their pros n' cons. The XR series got a big thumbs up but the bean counters don't like such extravagances so it was the relatively sedate versions that got the nod. Still I can't complaign, this is my 10th fleet car and I love it!
Just trying to get some iPod trickery sorted out, tint and a tow bar and I am sorted.
TonyDragons1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
Zippy7

Mine seems okay at the moment. I think it fudges an estimate based on your last 10 mins (or distance) of driving to determine the DTE.
Mind you, I don't like leaving the car nearly empty before I fill up. I will admit it here - I prefer to get fuel on tight--tuesdays
Old 18-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #16
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7
I will admit it here - I prefer to get fuel on tight--tuesdays
So would I but there is no such thing for diesel prices the same every day..high!

apstar
Old 19-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #17
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
So would I but there is no such thing for diesel prices the same every day..high!

apstar
Obviously I don't own a diesel but I know a few people that have diesel SUVs. They say that filling up where the truckies go is generally cheaper.
But not necessarily that convenient.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I let my DTE run to zero. Used to on my BA before too.

I cant be bothered with half fills I run it to empty and fill it two or 3 clicks.
I watch the needle more then the DTE, and base it on getting at least 700-720 minimum out of the tank (zetec), and if im in a good mood or feeling tight or what phase of the moon or how high the tide is in timbuktu.

It quite often goes to zero then comes back to about 20 then bounce around.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
I let my DTE run to zero. Used to on my BA before too.

I cant be bothered with half fills I run it to empty and fill it two or 3 clicks.
I watch the needle more then the DTE, and base it on getting at least 700-720 minimum out of the tank (zetec), and if im in a good mood or feeling tight or what phase of the moon or how high the tide is in timbuktu.

It quite often goes to zero then comes back to about 20 then bounce around.
I can tell you from 'dirty' experience that you don't fill the diesel past the first click. After doing this for years in conventionally fuelled cars it takes a great deal of discipline not to do it. The reason being that the diesel leaches out and down the side of the car and over the rear tyre.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 22-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
thefox3305
F250Fox

Had a call from my service manager today. A batch of Mondeos, including the wife's, have incorrect fuel gauge calibration. Requested to bring it in for half hour fix.

He was unaware that i had ran out the week before.
Old 22-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #21
wjf

I have now filled up my third tank of fuel on the car and I am less and less thrilled with my DTE readings (I initially statrted whining about this issue in the other thread 'Problems').

By the time the fuel light came on to the time I could reasonably and conveniently get to a service station would have been less than 35kms, but when I filled up I put in 70.2L (in a 70L tank!!!).

I am approaching my 3K service and I have no complaints about my car aside from this issue. I will make sure to ask them about fuel gauge calibration when I take the car in.
Old 22-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox3305
Had a call from my service manager today. A batch of Mondeos, including the wife's, have incorrect fuel gauge calibration. Requested to bring it in for half hour fix.

He was unaware that i had ran out the week before.
What is your build date?
Would be good to know which batch it was.

Having said that, I haven't gotten below a quarter of a tank since I bought the car and just clocked over 5000km.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #23
thefox3305
F250Fox

Warren:
What is your build date?
Would be good to know which batch it was.

Dunno. Had a bit of a look under the bonnet and can't locate it.
Picked it up virtually straight of the boat six weeks ago.

Trevor
Old 25-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #24
scribbly

Open the drivers door and look at the information on the plate against the rear of the body.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 25-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #25
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come to think of it the DTE is really a subjective result if it uses the fuel tank capacity and the speed traveling then that's fine BUT if you are stopped in traffic the DTE will be inflated and totally incorrect unless the computer has a low speed cut off to allow for this condition so in theory if you allow your diesel to idle the whole 70L @ 1.8L/100Km then then it should give you a distance of 3,889Km!

apstar
Old 27-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #26
thefox3305
F250Fox

Default DTE Fixed

Warren:
Found my build date (inside drivers door) May 2008

Took the car in on Thursday arvo of the fix as a result of the call from the service manager warning me of the problem.

Was showing 380kms on trip meter since last fill, 3/4 full on gauge and DTE 700kms. After fix, DTE was 400 and gauge dropped to a bit above half. More believable figures and i'll watch how it goes.

Official Ford Field Service sticker has been fitted inside door.

Fix took about half hour.

Trevor
Old 30-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #27
wjf

I have my car booked in for it's 3K service on Monday.

I mentioned the issue with DTE calibration to the service manager and he said that they have received instructions on how to recalibrate the DTE calculation. They said it will take about half an hour to fix.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #28
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjf
I have my car booked in for it's 3K service on Monday.

I mentioned the issue with DTE calibration to the service manager and he said that they have received instructions on how to recalibrate the DTE calculation. They said it will take about half an hour to fix.
Make sure you let us all know what happens with that. I reckon Ford will have a number of people asking for it! I will.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #29
wjf

Ok, got the car serviced Monday (3000km service) and had the DTE recalibrated.

It's still skittish, the only real difference being that it is far more conservative than it was before. The warning light came on well before it did previously, and when I filled up the DTE said there was 16kms left but I only filled up 66.2L which means there was another 40 to 50kms left given my normal fuel consumption.

In summary - it will scare you into filling up earlier than it did before.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #30
scribbly

Now you're scaring me off it!

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT