Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Default New guy from Canada.

Hello.

Well, I'm not sure where or even IF you need to post an intro here but hopefully if it is yes, this is the right spot!

Well, as my info says, I am in Canada. I hope you don't mind my joining and perusing your forum as I am addicted to Australian Fords. Okay I am addicted to Fords in general! LOL.

We just don't have much that's very interesting over here so I have been looking for info on Australian Fords as I prefer a V8 and a clutch and NEED a family car. That particular combo does not exist over here!

Since all I can do is dream, I decided to look around for a forum that would have the information I'd like.

Who knows? Maybe one day we may get lucky enough to move over there? LOL.

We have friends in Hobart, Tasmania anyways if we ever decided to.

Well, I just thought I'd say "Hi" and since i doubt I'd have much to contribute will probably mostly lurk and learn.

If you've any questions about over here, I'd be more than happy to help if I could.

Thank you for your time. I hope I'm not intruding.

Old 13-01-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Hi Den and welcome.

THis is a great forum full of great people. Anyone from anywhere is welcome as long as you like cars, etc.

And no you can't export a car from here! ha ha. Australians like their RWD V8 sedans
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Hi Den and welcome.

THis is a great forum full of great people. Anyone from anywhere is welcome as long as you like cars, etc.

And no you can't export a car from here! ha ha. Australians like their RWD V8 sedans
One thing I DO need to figure out is KW vs HP ratings!! LOL.
Old 13-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Basically most people here now buy FWD japanese stuff. GM has gone mostly SUV and for V8 rear drive only has the Corvette (Which now looks like a Supra!) and the godawful UGLEEEE Cadillac stuff.

Ford still has the Grand Marquis (for now) but the Crown Vic is only available for fleet use. Currently most of the new Fords here are Mazdas!

The 500 is a Volvo platform with the same old six in it from years ago!

Though the Mustang is rather interesting!

Dodge has some interesting stuff but almost ALL only come with autoboxes and Chrysler is notorious here for real BAD tranny life!

I have a question.

I'm still searching and my wife needs the computer so....

Can you get a V8 rear drive wagon with a CLUTCH??? new/used/etc?

I have three daughters, ALL in booster/car seats so NEED room to put the three across the rear seat! makes the market rather limited here!
Old 13-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome Den.....you know you can check out anytime you want..but you can never leave.......nurse....Nurse.......NURSE..where's my valium.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
falcon91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den.
Kilowatt KW - Horsepower HP Is Kw x 1.34 = HP

eg 210kw = 281.4 hp.

Went to Canada a few times, only to a NATO base at Goose Bay in Labrador, nowhere near Toronto, but Jeez it was cold!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum.
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Hello.

Well, I'm not sure where or even IF you need to post an intro here but hopefully if it is yes, this is the right spot!

Well, as my info says, I am in Canada. I hope you don't mind my joining and perusing your forum as I am addicted to Australian Fords. Okay I am addicted to Fords in general! LOL.

We just don't have much that's very interesting over here so I have been looking for info on Australian Fords as I prefer a V8 and a clutch and NEED a family car. That particular combo does not exist over here!

Since all I can do is dream, I decided to look around for a forum that would have the information I'd like.

Who knows? Maybe one day we may get lucky enough to move over there? LOL.

We have friends in Hobart, Tasmania anyways if we ever decided to.

Well, I just thought I'd say "Hi" and since i doubt I'd have much to contribute will probably mostly lurk and learn.

If you've any questions about over here, I'd be more than happy to help if I could.

Thank you for your time. I hope I'm not intruding.
Welcome to the forum Den. I hope you find us more than useful
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

eh welcome buddae
Old 13-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Welcome aboard, eh.
Old 13-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Hey mate welcome aboard. : feel free to ask what ever you like here theres bound to be some body with a answer some ware if not we will make one up for you :Reverend: in answer to your first Q. there is 1.34hp to 1kw or 300kw = 403 hp........ give or take a bit
enjoy your stay regards Whoosha :eclipsee_

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DEN The only new v8 rear wheel drive wagon is Holden (GM) Berlina. go to www.holden.com.au for info. I have a Ford Fairmont Wagon V8, Ford no longer build a v8 wagon downunder. Plenty of second hand Ford v8 wagons though. Export would be expensive.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
DEN The only new v8 rear wheel drive wagon is Holden (GM) Berlina. go to www.holden.com.au for info. I have a Ford Fairmont Wagon V8, Ford no longer build a v8 wagon downunder. Plenty of second hand Ford v8 wagons though. Export would be expensive.
Well, even though it's pure fantasy at this point, I was thinking more of moving there rather than bringing a car here. Canada's becoming too crowded for me these days. LOL. But of course finances say stay. :

Used is preferable anyways. My wife says I'd probably never buy a new car even if I cpould afford it as I need something to tuinker with. LOL.

Canada is also becoming very "Old Car unfriendly"!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It would seem Australia's reputation for friendly people is true after all.
Old 13-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Welcome aboard DEN. Why would you ever want to move away from Canada. The pics I have seen must make it one of the most scenic countries on this planet!!
Old 13-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Welcome aboard DEN. Why would you ever want to move away from Canada. The pics I have seen must make it one of the most scenic countries on this planet!!
Some of us feel the same way about YOUR end of the planet. LOL.
Partly boredom. Partly, it's too crowded. Too few roads to drive on.
And partly, driving here is boring. The cars are BORING! Anyone that DOES have anything interesting or older keeps it locked away and never actually drive them it seems.

We also have friends down there and sometimes I could just use a complete CHANGE! LOL.

But the CARS!! Oh the CARS!! That's a big reason!! :
Old 13-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #15
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

Welcome to the forums den.

Done this with a mate in fiji, Classified as spare parts, we stripped certain parts of the car and filled a container which cost us around $1200 aus and about $800 inland .

food for thought ?

As original from showroom floor with all options
Additions - Pacemakers turbo400 3" exhaust
Custom cai prototype No 4
Stage 1 shift kit with neck brace
Still to come DIVORCE
KEV EB XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #16
Simmo
White Lightning

well dont move from canada to tassie if you dont like boring. ive been there before and its a gorgeous place to drive around and id love to go back, but i couldnt live there. you need to be mainland.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #17
Steffo
LPG > You

Hey, welcome to the forums.

If you need any metric/imperial help....

1kW = 1.34hp. So, say the FPV GT... 290kW... 290 x 1.34 = 388.6, which rounds up to 389hp.

1ftlb = 1.355Nm. Again, FPV GT as an example... 520Nm... 520/1.355 = 383.76 which rounds up to 384ftlbs.

I know you guys use km/h... so no need for converting that
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #18
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome Den. I am not overly technical and am more of a social member so thats where I generally stay but theres more than enough stuff to stay interested though. Have fun
Old 14-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #19
RATT

Welcome aboard!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #20
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome welcome. Sorry to hear about the lack of manual V8's over there..... i really like the canadian built 1956 Ford Meteor (i think) similar to the american fairlanes from memory. Anyways enjoy your stay
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #21
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

G'day, welcome to the forums..
A mate from work has always wanted to go to Canada to go skiing, so he's busy trying to save the $$$$$..........

Heh, go for the V8 wagon mate, even if it is an auto!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 02:23 AM   #22
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I been offline the last week due to a seized hard drive and am only on now because I stole my daughters'!! HAHA.

Still trying to get the new one to work!
Old 23-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #23
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Welcome Den!
This is a great forum, loads of help and some very good ideas. A shame there isn't anything over there which could fill the V8+manual wagon hole that you have.
I haven't got a V8 (yet), but used to own a 351C XC Fairmont. It was an auto, but had all the right shift kits in it to keep it entertaining.

Again, welcome!
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #24
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier
Welcome Den!
This is a great forum, loads of help and some very good ideas. A shame there isn't anything over there which could fill the V8+manual wagon hole that you have.
I haven't got a V8 (yet), but used to own a 351C XC Fairmont. It was an auto, but had all the right shift kits in it to keep it entertaining.

Again, welcome!
Yesterday I was out with my wife getting birthday presents for my oldest daughter. (She'll be 6 next week) and I stopped at a place that had some older stuff for sale. (They supply the film industry with cars/etc) and I saw a 61 Ford 2 door wagon. I looked to see the tranny and it does have a three speed auto (As a lot of the older stuff has 2 spdrs!!).

man I want that car!! LOL.